phpBB integration

Use GitHub to post feature requests for phpwcms.
dj_chillerz

phpBB integration

Post by dj_chillerz »

Hello,

I don't know whether i'm posting in the right place. I have a number of questions but i'll start with two for now.

1) I was looking for a way i can integrate phpBB into my site that uses phpwcms.

Basically i just want something that will let my users sign into the forum and give them a rundown of the latest posts and notification of any new private messages.

Also if they are moderators on the forum they should be able to create articles etc.

Is there anything like this available?

2) When i show the date on the forum it comes up in german. Any idea as to how i can make it english?

I think i may have overlooked some simple instruction but am very confused at the moment.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

dj_chillerz
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

forum contentpart in not ready!
dj_chillerz

Post by dj_chillerz »

Pappnase wrote:hello

forum contentpart in not ready!
What do you mean by that?
pierre.meli

Post by pierre.meli »

He probabley refers to the phpwcms-internal capabilities to support forum functionaliy. Nontheless, I am using phpbb2 as well and I just made an external link to another subdirectory of the site. obviousley you loose the menu contexte of your site, but you win (display) space for the forum. Another solution is the integration of the forum via iFrame

The date-stuff you can adjust to your convenience, the location of the respective file depends on your phpWCMS version...

Cheers Pierre
Ren.Hoek

Integrating phpbb using iframe

Post by Ren.Hoek »

The "iframe trick" works just nice, but it uses Javascript which some users might have disabled for "security" reasons.
Nevertheless, here's how it works for me:

1.) make a copy of your normal template
2.) insert the following code into the HTML-HEAD

Code: Select all

<script type="text/javascript">
function iFrameHeight() {
if(document.getElementById && !(document.all)) {
theFrame = document.getElementById('iframename');
h = theFrame.contentDocument.body.scrollHeight;
theFrame.style.height = h+15;
}else if(document.all) {
h = window.frames.iframename.document.body.scrollHeight;
document.all.iframename.style.height = h+15;
}
}
</script>

3.) Instead of the {CONTENT} replacement-tag you insert the following into your main block:

Code: Select all

<iframe onLoad="iFrameHeight();"
src="./phpbb/index.php"
scrolling="no" scroll="auto"
id="iframename" name="iframename"
marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"
style="width:100%;" height="350">
</iframe>
And this is working with any other board or whatever, too.

cheers Ren
Ren.Hoek

Another Version

Post by Ren.Hoek »

Since I needed to include "external" pages more often, I changed my strategy.
I made a template out of the existing one called "iframe" for obvious reasons :) and put the stated JavaScript code into the HTML-Head section. Leave the {CONTENT} Replacement-Tag where it belongs...

Apply this template to any structure level where you need to include another page/forum or whatever.

The code in 3.) is now inserted as plain HTML ContenPart into the respective article. You only need to change the URL depending on the desired location.

NOTE: This only works correctly for pages residing on the same webserver as your phpwcms installation, because JavaScript cannot access the properties (such as "height"...) of pages that are in another domain. (This would mean cross-site-scripting, which is forbidden for obvious reasons.)

The last time I used this I integrated mnogosearch into my Intranet-Project to allow for full-text search inside PDFs and MS-Office-Documents...

Greetings! Ren Hoek