personal blog that supports [code] - de-htmlizing content

Post non-phpwcms related topics here - but I don't want to see "hey check this or that other cms". Post if you have a point or worthwhile comment, don't post just to increase you post count!
jsw_nz

personal blog that supports [code] - de-htmlizing content

Post by jsw_nz »

I have a pet project I wanted to get up and running on my localhost. Basically I want to create a personal diary/blog offline using my localhost in which I can keep an ongoing diary of what I was working on, this would include three major requirements. (1) The ability to have a calendar in place -- no problem, many of the php/mysql blogs support this (2) offer searchablibity -- again no problem. (3) have the ease of use in posting php and html code snippets with a simple 'copy'/'paste'/'hit code button' fashion, which would yield this:

Code: Select all

<form action="action.php" method="POST"> 
Your name: <input type="text" name="name" /> 
Your age: <input type="text" name="age" /> 
<input type="submit"> 
</form>
This last requirement is not so widely supported.

Wordpress
I installed Wordpress, which although it is nice, it does not support this feature and the authors expained incorporating it would compromize other code.

B2evolution
B2evolution has a code button, but it does not work properly, not rendering the above passage correctly.

Boastmachine
it works, but has no button in place and besides it renders the page much wider than it needs to be -- kind of unruly.

I wanted to ask if others out there have come across any blog system that has calendar support plus a working code button as it is used here on the phpBB-based forum.

I could go on downloading different blogs, but was thinking someone here could point me in the right direction, saving me the time and hassle. Has to be a blog system that supports

my de-htmlized code here
properly. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,
jsw
Jérôme

Post by Jérôme »

Perhaps you can try Movable Type. It is Perl based, I made the best experiences with it. It has many, many plugins available and certainly also something that fits your needs.
jsw_nz

Cheers Jerome

Post by jsw_nz »

Cheers Jerome, I was looking at it yesterday, but was unsure about its use of Perl 5. But since you give it your stamp of approval, I will give it a go. I suppose I will need to install Perl locally on my machine...........

And BTW, you have done a great job on your text mod. Hat's off to you. If you were down here in Dunedin, I would take you out for a brew, of which Speights is a local favorite.

cheers,
jsw
marco

Post by marco »

Jérôme wrote:Perhaps you can try Movable Type. It is Perl based, I made the best experiences with it. It has many, many plugins available and certainly also something that fits your needs.
Oh no, not Movable Type!!!
brans

Post by brans »

could you give us some reasons why not ?
Jérôme

Post by Jérôme »

I think everybody has their own preferences about software, and reasons why he/she likes or dislikes it. This is no difference with Movable Type.

There are reasons not to use Movable Type. MT creates static html pages. That means, when you post a new article, every page that is concerned with it, needs to be recreated (index, different types of archives, and so on. Another thing is, that it is pearl based, which many people don't like, too. The code that MT produces out of the box is in most cases not valid (as long as you don't use one of the plugins) - for example das it create from the text:
<h2>This is a subheader</h2>

This is one sentence in a paragraph.
the code:

<p><h2>This is a subheader</h2></p>

<p>This is one sentence in a paragraph</p>
which really does not make much sense.

And I think there are other things that makes people not use this system.

Every of the mentioned systems is a great product (I have also used and loved Wordpress), and each one has its advantages and disadvantages. I think it is not right to generally diffame on of those.

I'd say: try it out and you will see if it fits your needs. If not, I am not angry at you, but you will have to continue searching :).

Btw. in the near future there should be MT in a new major release (3.0) - this will certainly bring some improvements and feature enhancements.