List of top 5 freeware

Post non-phpwcms related topics here - but I don't want to see "hey check this or that other cms". Post if you have a point or worthwhile comment, don't post just to increase you post count!
frold

List of top 5 freeware

Post by frold »

If you should pick only 5 free aplication to install what would it be...

Remember to say what system you use,....

Here is my list.

Windows
----------------------------
1. Uniform Server / miniserver
The minimal server solution for windows - 2.5Mb only. It includes latest versions of Apache2, Perl5, PHP4, MySQL4, phpMyAdmin,... NO INSTALLATION REQUIRED! NO REGISTRY DUST!!! Just unpack and start.
2. SmartFTP 1.0

3. CDex
CDex a CD-Ripper, thus extracting digital audio data from an Audio CD. The application supports many Audio encoders, like MPEG (MP2,MP3), VQF, AAC encoders.

4. VLC
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
YOU DONT NEED TO INSTALL PLUGINS LIKE XVID, DIVX, ETC
5. DVDx
DVDx allows you to convert DVD to VCD2.0 or SCVD1.0 or DivX in one step (Including multiplexing, splitting). It produces good quality movies in MPEG1/2 format and you don't need to have 5GB or more free on your hard disk. DVDx has been designed especialy for unexperimented users, it is a simple and intuitive program. You only need Nero to write your VCD/SVCD.
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
seo-105

free software

Post by seo-105 »

Hey Great Idea, sorry I'm late to the party!

Windoz
-----------------

Mozilla Firefox (shows backend code always!, love the tabs, no popups)

Core FTP (Simple,fast,free, chmod #s with text explanations)

Paint Shop Pro (takes all the photoshop filters with half the footprint. No activation code to go buggy when you change your system software.)

HTML-Kit (the "homesite" replacement, great with PHP)

CWShredder (gets rid of those lousy trojans)

Alternates: Ad-aware, spybot, AVG 6.0
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

assuming that linux, php & mysql are a given...
  • phpwcms: does something to the web i can't quit understand.
  • Alias|Wavefront Maya learning edition: almost the full 3D modeling/animation application for non-c use only.
  • Splutterfish's Rio: the best render quality is available through the simplest interface. Rio is the free non-c version of Brazil.
  • renamer: an excelent windows app to rename whole dir's recursivly of files. very powerfull.
  • now i'm stuck... to be continued...
AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

:D I'll cheat and do what I always do; I'll name TotalCommander as #1. Yup, it can be used without buying a licence, but I did anyway. That generally covers it for file handling, FTP, renaming & search functions, texteditor, viewer etc.

#2 Miranda IM messenger. Generally it handles all the stuff my TC don't; IRC, ICQ, MSN, mailcheck, news via RSS.

#3 uBook is the top of the pops for reading ebooks in html- and textformats. I use versions both for my pc and my PocketPC.

#4 AntiVir is an excellent antivirus, free for private use.

#5 What is life without some meaninglessness :lol: Project Dolphin is good for that - counts how many keys pressed on your keyboard.

Other cool details: HostControl in tray for checking if webserver/DB is online. SNMP to see load on my router. MakeChunks to split up SQL-files into smaller pieces. nPad2 as an alternative editor when the bugs in hpg_ed in TC gets too much. :mrgreen:
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

1) the GIMP
2) DEBIAN Gnu/Linux
3) Anjuta
4) Gnome
5) Gaim/X-Chat/Firefox/Galeon/Epiphany/Etc.

This is making me wonder why I still use windows for development...
I just need macromedia too much (dreamweaver, fireworks, photoshop).
:(
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

don't let adobe see your last 'blasphemous' post Ionrock ;)
photoshop a Macromedia product? ouch.
Last edited by pSouper on Tue 20. Jul 2004, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

oh I just meant using them all together :) I just spend more time with fireworks and dreamweaver than photoshop (by Adobe if that makes you happy ;)).
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

hehe
vello

Post by vello »

Vello