Title with special chars '<' and '>' gets truncated

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
Christian Roth

Title with special chars '<' and '>' gets truncated

Post by Christian Roth »

Hello,

I have an article title that should read "Get <online/>". Entering this and saving it, the "<online/>" part gets truncated.

When I try to circumvent the issue (not letting it look like a tag) and write "Get <online/>", it is not truncated, but the final result in the rendered web page is now (a visual) "Get <online/>" as well, i.e. my quoting has been quoted by phpwcms as well so that the text shows verbatim as entered in the article title field.

How do I have to enter an article title of "Get <online/>" so that it neither gets truncated nor shows in quoted text from at rendering time?

Regards, Christian.
update

Post by update »

Hi
I just tried it myself - it really isn't working, but:
I also tried something like

Code: Select all

{GT:red_head-big2}Get{/GT}{GT:blue_head-big2}<online/>{/GT}  	
and this is working - graphical solution and not really what you want...?

Greetings
claus
update

Post by update »

Aaah,
you also can do it with unicode

Get <online/>
and this will be displayed in the front end.
But you should never open this page again in the backend: phpwcms is rewriting these into Get<online/>and saving the page lets your efforts vanish in the haze...
even this board here is rewriting the unicode, so here it is again: Get & # 60 ; online / & # 62 ; :wink:
Christian Roth

Post by Christian Roth »

Thanks for the one-time workaround - yes, I did not try character references (which is what you mean by Unicode, I think).

I know that correct quoting and unquoting (and this in matching pairs) can be a nightmare, but this then seems to be a bug to me. I'll see if I can find some solution by modifying the source code.

Thanks for trying (and also the GT solution - I'll try that later...)

Regards, Christian.
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

If you can "compromise", these all work:
Get < online />
Get < online/ >
Get < online/>
Top one is ~close~ :roll:

This gets the same result:

[PHP]echo "Get < online />";[/PHP]
Problem w/both methods is certain special characters cannot be followed immediately by another character. :wink:
Maybe being disallowed to avoid conflict (confusion?) as it relates to HTML tag conventions, WYSIWYG editors, etc. -and/or- maybe other valid reasons. :idea: