phpwcms on CD

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
pSouper

phpwcms on CD

Post by pSouper »

hi guys,
here's a Q 4 U.
Is it possible to have an entire phpwcms site run from CDrom?

I think mysql can be run from CDrom
can php?
can phpwcms?

I was hoping to be able to distribute my site (as it is really a cv) via CD.
if not then does anyone have any suguestions for a good/quick way to rip the entire site (post processed pages) to run from a CDrom?
Jérôme

Post by Jérôme »

As you need to write at least session data somewhere to, I don't think that phpwcms itself can be run from CD, but for the rest, I think this must be possible to make a complete WAMP-environment, include your CV and burn it on CD. I have not tested this, but I don't see a reason why this should not work...

Why don't you just try to burn your local WAMP?
frold

Post by frold »

log on your msn if you need help :P
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

thanks J, what is a WAMP is it like a VAMPire with a speak impedement ;)
I don't want to log on F, you smell ;)
Jérôme

Post by Jérôme »

lol, pSuper ;)! WAMP stands for "Windows Apache Mysql PHP/Perl" and it's a ready-to-use environment that is e.g. provided by the Apache Friends.
frold

Post by frold »

pSouper wrote:I don't want to log on F, you smell ;)
If you can handle the smell I can´t help, sorry
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

;)
AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

:mrgreen: I still vote for UniServer

BTW Frold, look at it from a philosophical viewpoint: Better to smell than to stink! :lol:
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

thanks AC, this is the first website in english that has left me feeling like a forigner in a forign land. I read through it all and have no real idea what it is exactly.
is it a one-stop webserver that can be installed in a click?
or is it a wrapper for php/sql sites so that they don't need instalation or net connection?
or is it... nope I'm stuck now

ps: I'm geussing I could save every page individually but this could take a while ;) and is subject to being out dated everyday - are ther eany apps out there that would automate this for me?
AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

Well, the UniServer is a really simple Apache installation, yes - as a matter of fact, it requires no installation at all and is thus superb for having a complete webserver with sites and all on t.ex. a USB stick. I'm no master at handling an apache/mysql myself yet, but I don't imagine it taking much setting up to get its temp folders running off the C-drive automatically - so I imagine it's possible to have it on a CD. ;)

I don't have much trust in such site-ripoff-programs, but they most certainly exist - I've used one called Black Widow, but there are many. Try googling for webspiders or offline browsers. I know tucows has a section for it.
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

thanks AK, will look into both sugestions further
Last edited by pSouper on Tue 13. Apr 2004, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

Well, do tell if you need assistance with the UniServer, that's my thing hehe... can't be too hard to change that couple of config files to use C instead.
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

;)
it may be a day or two before I start on this bit though.
djulien

Post by djulien »

[quote="AlleyKat"]Well, do tell if you need assistance with the UniServer, that's [i]my[/i] thing hehe... can't be too hard to change that couple of config files to use C instead.[/quote]

I'm trying to get UniServer 3.2a running from a CD ROM. It works okay from a hard drive. Any helpful pointers to exactly which config entries need to change? I already changed the log and error files in httpd.conf to point to a Windows temp directory. That got rid of "access denied" messages, but Apache is still not staying up. I don't see any error logs in the temp directory, so I'm not sure where to look for the problem.

Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks.
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

sorry dude : I never got it working either - i eventualy used an application to rip my entire site as flat files then burned it to cd and used an auto-boot script to run the site on disk entry

It worked a dream for me but I had no real need for dynamic content.
I also have to hide a few pages of the site such as random pictures and slideshows as thay would simply not translate to flat files