Future of phpwcms - 1.3 is planned

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
oeconom

Post by oeconom »

Well, to me this sounds quite fair.
I experimented with different versions, but since long I'm also waiting for the nex major release to get something 'live'.

Felix
...alles wird gut!
still alive...
Experimenting with phpwcms and hoping to have time one day to get a site live... :wink:
One Site finished! :P
update

Post by update »

To my opinion it would be enough for now to just have a system capable of easily plugging in add-ons, mods and so on without the need to rewrite every changed/edited file when a new release arises.
Then much more user input could happen...
And much more use could be easily made out of all these fantastic developements for phpwcms :D popping up all the time
And users would get the feeling to be able to act instead of beeing forced to wait and react
And wanted as a side effect: development isn't hindered by such concerns like "what if all is changing again" and "what if my own script will stop functioning with later developements"...
Anyways, just kind of deja vu: did I already really write about this topic recently ? :wink:

Greetings
claus
(happily sitting around, wondering how to get from 126dev to 126final without destroying all website output in a second (where's my own changelog gone to? :oops: ), deciding myself clearly for no or yes every other minute, feeling like a pinball :wink: )
marcus@localhorst

Post by marcus@localhorst »

I know, it is dumb to ask for a date, for the next release, but I had to update a site and I want to use WinMerge for checking all my customizions.
I've noticed, that the last package used Mac linebreaks, so for WinMerge it seems that the whole document is changed. :-(

Any Idea???

best marcus
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

Are you looking for a program that CHANGES all linebreaks -or- do you just want WinMerge to ignore those specific differences:
EDIT-->OPTIONS-->COMPARE-->IGNORE CARRIAGE RETURN DIFFERENCES (DOS,UNIX,MAC)
Evoplure

Just ideas and fears...

Post by Evoplure »

What I can not understand yet is why PHPWCMS is still so dependant on Oliver Georgi.

My humble opinion is that if we want PHPWCMS as a major CMS system its development should not be so highly dependant on just one (!?) person. At least a core group of 5-10 people shoul be neccesary, working transparently with all the PHPWCMS community.

We should not be asking OG to write all the code himself, but think about him as a big coordinator whose task could be to unify the work of the group/community... In the case he has time, of course.

Several times I found myself asking what would be of PHPWCMS if OG leaves off working on its code.

Imagination is free
* Maybe I'm wrong * Maybe not *
spirelli

Re: Just ideas and fears...

Post by spirelli »

Evoplure wrote:My humble opinion is that if we want PHPWCMS as a major CMS system its development should not be so highly dependant on just one (!?) person. At least a core group of 5-10 people shoul be neccesary, working transparently with all the PHPWCMS community.

We should not be asking OG to write all the code himself, but think about him as a big coordinator whose task could be to unify the work of the group/community... In the case he has time, of course.
Agree. His ideas and approach seem good. But Oliver should take the power of a small team to implement stuff faster. Pitty that it's so slow.
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

DusX

Post by DusX »

how happy I would be to know that a team is has been put together to continue the project.
As it stands I am testing new systems... I feel very little confidence that phpwcms will move forward quickly enough for my plans.
======
DX
======
ednong

Ja, is denn heut scho' Weihmnachten? | Christmas today?

Post by ednong »

Fine, sure. But I'm remembering at this:
Within the next weeks not months a consolidated release of phpwcms will be published.
Source: http://phpwcms.de/index.php?id=1,39,0,0,1,0

How long are "weeks, not months"? Some people think, this would not be more than 60 days. And now, 60 days are over.

And – where is the "consolidated release"?

Sorry for this, OG, but it is the same mistake you made so often in the past. And this doesn't show a good credibility.

How I often said – more transparency and less of dates and all will be satisfied. But no, you gives at "every corner" the next date. :(

Tschuldige, aber das mußte ich mal loswerden. Es nervt einfach – ich erinnere mich da ganz besonders an Weihnachten.
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Hi all - the irony is that opensourcecms removed phpwcms from its listings (about a month ago - according to Pappnase) even though it was listed as #1 about a year ago (above Mambo)- They based their ruling on this criterion - NO STABLE RELEASE....

Well that call is unfortunate - its pretty stable on this end and VERY flexible and PRACTICAL. I have been looking at others - Drupel - very good (taxonomy framework) - Wordpress (yes a blog) and Mambo (tons of modules) - Typo - great class structure - but I still say that Oliver has the big picture in mind.

As mentioned by Oli - the chance to have user defined content parts - has me very, very excited - since i am a flash developer.

Oliver should be encouraged and thanked
lets all be patient.
I believe great things are coming from the resident genius.
DANKE OLI
:D
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

jsw_nz wrote:Hi all - the irony is that opensourcecms removed phpwcms from its listings (about a month ago - according to Pappnase) even though it was listed as #1 about a year ago (above Mambo)- They based their ruling on this criterion - NO STABLE RELEASE....

Well that call is unfortunate - its pretty stable on this end and VERY flexible and PRACTICAL. I have been looking at others - Drupel - very good (taxonomy framework) - Wordpress (yes a blog) and Mambo (tons of modules) - Typo - great class structure - but I still say that Oliver has the big picture in mind.

As mentioned by Oli - the chance to have user defined content parts - has me very, very excited - since i am a flash developer.

Oliver should be encouraged and thanked
lets all be patient.
I believe great things are coming from the resident genius.
DANKE OLI
:D
hello john

wow nice and wise words! some should these reade more than one time!
Evoplure

Post by Evoplure »

Definitely, in my opinion patience is not what PHPWCMS needs. All of us should thank OG for his initial job, that is fantastic. But for me an open source project is more than sit and wait for the next release by OG. Open source is a work system oriented to the development of applications by communities. And if PHPWCMS has not a real community of developers is because of:

1. OG: There is not enough transparency, maybe not real interest in PHPWCMS as a real colective project. No coordination, no information. Lots of copyright stuff...
2. Us: No skills as programmers (???), lazyness (???)... or we do not dare to create a parallel PHPWCMS branch which could work without being waiting OG releases (with clear roadmaps, common working space, good organization...)

There are some people writing good code for PHPWCMS, but their work is not encouraged because this lack of information, communication and infrastructure. I think this is the work we should first encourage.

In this situation, my strategy as web designer is:

1. Improve my PHP skills and (later) try to find a close group of interested people in order to develope and customize PHPWCMS to our necesities, and (later, in case of success) open our developments to a broader comunity.
2. Keep on trying as many CMS I can. Alternative CMS could be just around the corner...
* Maybe I'm wrong * Maybe not *
DusX

Post by DusX »

Evoplure wrote:....
2. Keep on trying as many CMS I can. Alternative CMS could be just around the corner...
Right now I am liking 'ModX'

seems like the approach is similar in many ways.. sure it lacks in some ways but it expends in others...

I still search, and I feel terrrible t be looking else where.. I have been here for sometime, and have promoted wcms heavily online.
======
DX
======
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

DusX wrote:Right now I am liking 'ModX'
" it gives you a true system for registered web users and groups that is separate from administration users. You can grant some web users access to one page and others access to another page. For content management, you can easily duplicate documents, folders (and all their children!), chunks and snippets. "
muj

Post by muj »

DusX wrote:Right now I am liking 'ModX'

I must say, I like this page: http://modxcms.com/modx-team.html