Making news section

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
bobd314

Making news section

Post by bobd314 »

I was wondering how any one here does their news section on their site... I cant think of a good way to do it but if any one has any suggestions it would be of great help.
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

If you wanted a more blog style news section (as I did) I am writing some blog functionality. Check http://ionrock.umemusic.com/index.php?phpwcms for more details in a few days. I will display news items with a title, author, text and date and it is separate from the rest of the content. Is this what you are thinking of?
Fulvio Romanin

Post by Fulvio Romanin »

i'd be interested too. let us know. :)

it'd be nice having also an archive. i must use phpwcms for a radio and it'd be v-useful for displaying news...

/me tries to bribe ionrock telling "if you end this, i'll pass your music in my radio" :) ;)
bobd314

Post by bobd314 »

Yeah, and to sort by date posted, that's what I mean basically
mdgroot

Post by mdgroot »

I would be very interested too 8)
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

Very cool I will let you guys know when it is done :)
mdgroot

Post by mdgroot »

and ? done already ? :lol: :lol:
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

Hello, the first version of the blog addon is up at

http://ionrock.umemusic.com/index.php?phpwcms

There is also a handy content placement tag function that can be added which might help some of you with placing article content in other areas other than just the main_block area.

Read the readme if you have questions.
Jenpet

Post by Jenpet »

could be nice.... BUT I think we need the Code for the new tables... don't we ? Cause I followed your instructions and this error appears

Code: Select all

error with query
SELECT * FROM phpwcms_blog ORDER BY blog_date DESC
Table 'lokalsport_muenster_de.phpwcms_blog' doesn't exist
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

Crap, sorry, I forgot the sql

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE `phpwcms_blog` (
  `blog_id` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  `blog_author` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  `blog_date` datetime NOT NULL default '0000-00-00 00:00:00',
  `blog_uid` int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  `blog_title` varchar(255) NOT NULL default '',
  `blog_summary` blob NOT NULL,
  `blog_aktiv` int(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  `blog_public` int(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (`blog_id`),
  KEY `date` (`blog_date`)
) TYPE=MyISAM

I am really sorry, I knew I would forget something when I made that zip file. Let me know if you have any problems
Fulvio Romanin

Post by Fulvio Romanin »

testing it now
ionrock: can i send you the data for my phpwcms flash frontend? i'd like to have other developers.... :)
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

That would be great. you can send me the patch at webmaster@umemusic.com and make sure you include a good readme file (better than mine of course :) ). I look forward to seeing it.
Fulvio Romanin

Post by Fulvio Romanin »

i'll actually send them to you asap but now i'm going away. one important issue:

i have seen that adding the blog involves changing phpwcms.php; that means, too, that if we have to upgrade the version we might possibly lose our changes. So i'm launching an idea, to you, to oliver and to anyone else too:

since lots of ppl is starting doing stuff for phpwcms, what about having a "modules" directory where you could just drag and drop addons and stuff? The best way would be to have - on phpwcms.php or whatever - a routine that checks which file is inside the mods dir (think about having a "blog" dir with a blog.php main file which calls a directory internal to the archive with all the sub-files, without having to clutter all /conf dirs and stuff and having to remember what is where) and automatically adds it to the "menu" (or just to the replacement tags) in the admin area. This way would be the best, imho... just a little effort at the beginning to have the best results in the long term.... :)
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

That is a good idea. I don't know if Oliver will be working on it since he has made it clear that he has a pretty big list of things to do and add. I don't think that is his main priorty anyway. But there is no reason that we couldn't do it ourselves and start to establish a kind standard for modules. Of course Oliver should have the final say but there is no reason we can't work on making a go at it now. I definitly think we need a good way to add to phpwcms without making things big hacks that disturb the admin and clutter things up (like my blog feature does ;) ).

I will start working on it a bit to see what happens. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to make sure the language side of things will stay compatible? This seems to be the largest area where things could be hard to integrate. But I could be wrong.
Fulvio Romanin

Post by Fulvio Romanin »

i guess the points should be focused on:

1) there should be - by default on phpwcms - a "modules reader" that simply checks which files are in the dir and automatically include them
2) separate mysql tables for each module, to avoid messes
3) all hacks should work as replacement tags, as we can't ask oliver to "include" hacks unless they're so good he wants to include'em in the code. if further tweaking occurs, it should be customizable from a "template" file inside of the mod (like phpBB's template, to make it clear)
4) all php of course
5) we should have something like a developers' area where we can cross-code stuff. and
6) oliver could ask us to help him searching for this and that solution and problem
7) all mods should be without "safe mode" troubles, eg being able to work with the minimum server trouble
8) all mods could use external libraries but ONLY IF OPEN SOURCE.

those are my ideas.