User-groups and advanced user / groups access rights

Post custom hacks and enhancements for phpwcms here only. Maybe some of these things will be included in official release later.
brans

Post by brans »

I must admit that I finally trust in the negative thinking people. At least it was worth thinking positive :)
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Nothing's ever certain, maybe he'll come back and post it? :(

Otherwise, cool idea if OG has some time - yeah right :lol: - or some other mysql-php guru goes into this... :roll:

Who knows...

Cheers
shiny

Post by shiny »

Well, I certainly hope that Kristofixx does come back and post it. The mod looks fantastic, and I for one would love to see it.

I discovered Phpwcms only very recently, but it's already impressed me enough for me to begin converting my existing website over to using it. User groups - or the lack thereof - are one of the very few weak spots that I've found. This would plug one of the holes for me, certainly.

I've certainly got my fingers crossed that we'll see it one day.

[First post, by the way - hello, everyone!]
rtilghman

Post by rtilghman »

Now that everyone is jumping on the negative band-wagon I guess I'll have to kick it up a notch.

Kristofixx = evil Mambo developer

I think he pulled this junk together in Photoshop and posted it here JUST to screw with us. No joke, I think this is actually what happened. And I will even kick it up a notch by stating my belief that no group or user mgmt feature even exists.

This actually really sucks, because the only really poor part of PHPwcms (aside from the lack of a simple module and add-on methodology) is the absolute lack of user management features.

The fact that the actual "user" role in the current implementation is so poor is REALLY frustrating. I mean really, can someone tell me the value of a user who can't access content? I mean the Admin section sure, rope that off to Admins only, but not allowing the ONLY other role to access content?!? You either make a user an admin (in which case he can wholesale waste your site) or a user (in which case he can't even modify an article).

Grrrr...

-rt
Ben

Post by Ben »

rtilghman, be easy with your comments - Oliver works hard and has developed an amazing cms and should be commended for this. User management will probably be added soon.
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Ben wrote:rtilghman, be easy with your comments - Oliver works hard and has developed an amazing cms and should be commended for this. User management will probably be added soon.
Totally agree, plus he works for free and provides us with a GREAT tool, which has some (minor) flaws (who hasn't?).
Up to us,as a community to develop/find people who do/encourage/contribute with our own skills (whatever they are, it's only a quesion of time and commitment),...
In fine: stand unite and help the progression of this faboulous CMS, we ALL win. :)

Cheers
shiny

Post by shiny »

Kosse wrote:
Ben wrote:rtilghman, be easy with your comments - Oliver works hard and has developed an amazing cms and should be commended for this. User management will probably be added soon.
Totally agree, plus he works for free and provides us with a GREAT tool, which has some (minor) flaws (who hasn't?).
Up to us,as a community to develop/find people who do/encourage/contribute with our own skills (whatever they are, it's only a quesion of time and commitment),...
In fine: stand unite and help the progression of this faboulous CMS, we ALL win. :)

Cheers
Well, indeed. I wrote my own CMS once [which is the one that I'm replacing as I don't have the time to finish re-coding it and I've outgrown it] and it's certainly nothing to be sniffed at. I've had many more "Wow, that's really clever" moments when looking at the backend of PhpWcms than I have for any other system, and I appreciate that a huge amount of effort has gone into making it.

As far as helping with the community myself, I've been having a bash at making a Blogs Module which allows for some [rather rudimentary at the moment] blogging, which was the only other major thing I found lacking. If it'll help anyone, I don't mind releasing the code for the community when it's in a half-decent state to do so.
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

shiny wrote:As far as helping with the community myself, I've been having a bash at making a Blogs Module which allows for some [rather rudimentary at the moment] blogging, which was the only other major thing I found lacking. If it'll help anyone, I don't mind releasing the code for the community when it's in a half-decent state to do so.
Shiny, any contribution is good, so yours is good too ;)
I'm sure you would make a lot of people's day by adding a blog MOD.
Don't be afraid to publish it even at an alpha release, you'll see that there are a lot of people here willing to help and share.

Edited: I see you've done it , nice ;)
http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8638

Cheers
rtilghman

Post by rtilghman »

My comments discussed nothing Oliver isn't aware of, and he's said as much previously. He doesn't have the time to do everything, and the user/group feature is just something that hasn't gotten to the radar.

This is, specifically, the major weakness of PHPwcms at present, and the only thing that made me deliberate whether or not to use it on a number of projects. Entitlements and profiles are a major aspect of any CMS, and having only one real role means you open yourself to a bunch of potential headaches from a security POV.

Best,
Rick
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

rtilghman wrote:My comments discussed nothing Oliver isn't aware of, and he's said as much previously. He doesn't have the time to do everything, and the user/group feature is just something that hasn't gotten to the radar.

This is, specifically, the major weakness of PHPwcms at present, and the only thing that made me deliberate whether or not to use it on a number of projects. Entitlements and profiles are a major aspect of any CMS, and having only one real role means you open yourself to a bunch of potential headaches from a security POV.

Best,
Rick
You are right, though it was worth thinking somebody (with very nice php/mysql skills) was trying it...
I can also understand your frustration, as Frold said; it's like showing you a candybar and then ... nada!
Well, I guess patience is our only ally at the moment...
As for Mambo, they do their stuff, good for them, I prefer phpwcms.
And who knows, phpwcms is attracting more and more pple, some developers too, I'll bet that we'll have that kind of mod before we all walk around with grey hair.

Cheers
Ben

Post by Ben »

Ha Ha :D Hopefully before the grey hair. Speaking of mods, is there any talk of an easy way to install them w/ out altaring code?

Here's what I envision: You go to ADMIN, click "manage plugins" from the left column and it shows a list of installed mods and one's that are on the server but not installed. Then, you could click on one to install it and it would be available from the MODS area. To get a mod available to be installed, you would simply uploaded it to a folder such as /plugins/the_plugin_name and it would be available to install from the ADMIN area.

I can dream ... can't I?
frold

Post by frold »

Ben wrote:Ha Ha :D Hopefully before the grey hair. Speaking of mods, is there any talk of an easy way to install them w/ out altaring code?

Here's what I envision: You go to ADMIN, click "manage plugins" from the left column and it shows a list of installed mods and one's that are on the server but not installed. Then, you could click on one to install it and it would be available from the MODS area. To get a mod available to be installed, you would simply uploaded it to a folder such as /plugins/the_plugin_name and it would be available to install from the ADMIN area.

I can dream ... can't I?
I guess thats on the to do list aswell
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
brans

Post by brans »

for mods (not hacks!) you can just use frontend_render and frontend_init folder, which have been introduced in phpwcms RC4.
dreeders

Re: Very cool...

Post by dreeders »

rtilghman wrote:As someone for whom the lack of group support was a big draw back of phpwCMS I find this mod very cool. However, maybe I can make an argument that in addition to posting the "mod" here for immediate inclusion you also submit it to the dev for inclusion in the phpwCMS core package.

I know Group support is a target (hell, it has a blank page in the dev releases) and I always prefer getting formal and stable "packages" over the modification route, especially one as ugly as phpwCMS' is (yes, lets face it, the plug-in mod architecture of this CMS is probably the single most atrocious one Ive ever seen).

Good work, looks very cool.

Best,
Rick
Can we try to keep it nice and respectful please.
JensZ

Post by JensZ »

Although rtilghman expresses himself a little rough, he's got some good points. I'd also like to see the user group accesses get implemented soon. This would make phpwcms a whole lot better. However, a good plugin architecture would be even more desirable. With that in place it is a lot easier for developers to write add-ons without having to mess with core files, which is a nightmare to deal with when you want to upgrade phpwcms. I'm sure many more modules would get developed. The plugin architecture would be a major change to phpwcms, but I hope Oliver can get around to do it sometime.

Jens