Mambo no more

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
Beige

Mambo no more

Post by Beige »

Greetings.

Am considering (or maybe have already made up my mind) moving my site from Mambo to phpWCMS. It's a simple site, however, uses some specific elements I of course would like to continue to use.

So before really making the move, can anyone please just quickly tell me with a simple yes/no if the following is possible?

- We're using the site also as a mini-extranet to store and exchange files. After logging in, and only after that, users will see a 'My Documents' link where they can down/upload files but only from/to directories they have access to, i.e. client A can only access folder A.

- Currently we use a header image throughout the site. The image changes randomly in most sections, but in one section the images are predefined based on the content, i.e. when clicking on 'client A', only 'image A' shows up in the header.

- We intend to integrate Flash Video (.flv) files.

- We're using an English and Japanese version. The language can be changed via a link in the header of the site.

- The site should look great on Windows/IE and at least good on everything else (which was not the case with the Mambo template we used).

I think that's it. Thanks, much, in advance.

Alex
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Hi Beige,

to all of your quesions I would say... yes!
Beige wrote:After logging in, and only after that, users will see a 'My Documents' link where they can down/upload files but only from/to directories they have access to, i.e. client A can only access folder A.
If u are in a hurry, you'll have to mess with the code to allow specific users to download to specific folders (Frontend login is still under dev, Oliver Georgi is working on it). Otherwise, you can simply see how other users try to implement frontend login by searching the forum. (Myself I did this with RC1.4 dev : http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4815 but u should use 1.2.3. dev, better!).
Beige wrote:The image changes randomly in most sections, but in one section the images are predefined based on the content, i.e. when clicking on 'client A', only 'image A' shows up in the header
No problem, the templates will do that.
Beige wrote:We intend to integrate Flash Video (.flv) files.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. :?
Beige wrote: English and Japanese version
You can use a css switching method or a session method, search this forum, there are a lot of examples around.
Beige wrote: The site should look great on Windows/IE and at least good on everything else (which was not the case with the Mambo template we used).
5. Works fine in all browsers, the main issue is not phpWCMS but the CSS you intend to use.

Hope that helped ya. (I worked with mambo and went nuts... :roll: )

Cheers
Beige

Post by Beige »

Thanks for the information. Am glad everything seems to be there. The only concern remains the frontend login issue. The hack you mentioned seems to disable certain sections or areas, which is a start, of course. But the main function I need is to assign certain folders (within the file manager) to certain users. Do you think I'll find the necessary hacks/scripts to do this? Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with coding.

Cheers
Alex
Beige

Post by Beige »

And even if that wouldn't be possible, integrating something like this

http://www.v-wijk.net/

into a page shouldn't be such a big deal, right?

Thanks
Alex
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

It is possible into a phpwcms site, using the iframe function, allows you to insert whole parts of another site as if u where in urs.
To core hack it into phpwcms is another matter... (I don't recommend it but if you really need it, well what can you do)
Take a look at Deanloh's solution: http://deanloh.com/index.php?website_template it's just as if you where on his site.

Btw, when you login as a "client" (a normal user actually) you only see your private folder and the public ones.

As for frontend, patience... or find through hacks the solution that suits you around this forum, the reading of the posts can tell you a lot, plus pple are quite helpfull around here.

Good luck
ssddgreg

Post by ssddgreg »

... hardly waiting for new enhancements in phpwcms :)

It sounds really promising!
Beige

Post by Beige »

Kosse wrote:Btw, when you login as a "client" (a normal user actually) you only see your private folder and the public ones.
Ok, think I'm almost there. Last question (in this thread...). In order to make a file accessible for a user, I would have to login using his/her information to put the file into his/her folder. Correct?

Danke aus London.
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Yes, that's the sloppy part of it...

Real problem: If he/her changes password you can't retrieve it (it is crypted in mysql...)...

If u find a way to fix this I'm interested :lol:

Cheers
Beige

Post by Beige »

Well, in my case I'll simply disable access to the PROFILE tab, using your hack outlined in your other post.

Thanks
Alex
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

NP Alex,

(btw, I did the same thing as u intend to, disable the profile tab... :lol: )
have fun and watch the frontend in next (dev? :P ) release...
I'm sure OG will find a way of doing such things without sbdy having to mess with the core code.

Happy I could help out

Cheers
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Did want to mention, that to the best of my knowledge....all dev releases still do not properly handle swf, wmv, etc. (multimedia content part)

Never experimentned with *.flv,
but I am guessing you will have similar problems.

So if you want to have 'file manager based' used of Flash,
I would suggest using RC4 1.1, since it works fine.
Might need to add the flv extenson to list of supported file manager formats..... however....

:D