still waiting for the new release...

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
Gnolen

Post by Gnolen »

Any news about the new release? Will it come? I do not understand why Oliver doesn't move as a 'real' project with more people developing on it. He can still have control over it and get progression.

This weekend maybe? :o)

Greetings from

Gnolen
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

because it will not work.
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
Gnolen

Post by Gnolen »

Ok, you should know. But it works great with other projects(or doesn't it?), but I bet you have been thinking alot about this issue. And I know how it is to leave a 'baby' that you have done yourself.

Any news about the new relese then?

Thanks!!!

Greetings from Gnolen
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

That's true - I have thought often about that fact. But I don't know any other project where it works very fine - or more productive or resulting in better code. You need to have a good base - and very good developers. Maybe later - maybe never. The project should not grow the way others did. I don't like that idea very much.

Oliver
shocktone

Post by shocktone »

I worked with Typo3 quite a bit now. This whole system is just a big chaos. So I can understand what Oliver means.
I like PHPWCMS much better. But there is still too much stuff missing, that is really important to me.
Lets see what the future brings...
frold

Post by frold »

shocktone wrote:I worked with Typo3 quite a bit now. This whole system is just a big chaos. So I can understand what Oliver means.
I like PHPWCMS much better. But there is still too much stuff missing, that is really important to me.
Heheh I know your feeling - more wants more.... :wink:

But remember
1. the system is free and will still be
2. it just 1 year old.
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
rookie

Post by rookie »

shocktone wrote:I worked with Typo3 quite a bit now. This whole system is just a big chaos. So I can understand what Oliver means.
Really? I've not had that feeling with typo3. Or do you mean chaos as in big? Because that is something that does bug me at times. But then again, it is arguably the most high-end open source cms out there. Well, Zope might be close though it's not php based. I actually like the way the typo3 system works with the extensions. I think the two systems (phpwcms and typo3) cannot be compared though. What I do not like is the size of typo3. It's a monster, however the most intelligent one I've used so far. What I totally love about it and eventually drives me away from phpwcms is the lack of modernwebstandards compliance which is the wrong way to go and not an option for me. If that would be different at some point in the future, I'd use it again, but till then I'll either have to learn to make my own xml/css/xhtml structured cms or rely on cms systems that support it fully without having to go through horrors. :(
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

XML is a very complex thing - most people haven't understood CSS (you can use in phpwcms) and XHTML has no real advantage over HTML for most usage. But every feature needs time for developing.

I have never tried to fight against Typo3 because I really like Typo3 and Kasper's work - phpwcms should be like the little brother and fill the space under Typo3. I don't like to re-invent the wheel. ...but Typo3 is much older. And Typo3's extension repository is that big at the moment that you do not know which extension you can use or take. Around 90% of the extensions there are not usable or useful ;-)

Please - stop discussing pros and cons in this thread.

Oliver
shocktone

Post by shocktone »

Hi Oliver,

we all know that typo3 is a different system.
I just wanted to make clear, that typo3 is not the right way to implement a system. So you're on the right path. The code is really a big mess in my opinion. Do you need 100MB for a CMS ? I doubt it...

But why not compare CMS ? Maybe this is the wrong thread. But for different situations/people a different CMS maybe suited. Since phpwcms/typo3 share the same concepts why not compare them ?
Nobody is putting down phpwcms here. People are just wishing a faster development, which I can understand. But of course on the other hand we are glad, that you develop phpwcms at all.

Both a great systems. Both have pros and cons.
We shouldn't put Oliver under stress and be greatful for what he has done.
Just a little bit of pressure ! ;) he,he

Greetings Jens.
Gnolen

Post by Gnolen »

Oliver,

How many days do we still have to wait? :wink: Or can we forget a x-mas gift this year and hopefully get something in 2005?

Thanks,
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

Gnolen wrote:Oliver,

How many days do we still have to wait? :wink: Or can we forget a x-mas gift this year and hopefully get something in 2005?

Thanks,
hello

i think x-mas is at the 24.12.2004 so we have a few days! i think also it's better to wait a little longer so we get a better system.
Gnolen

Post by Gnolen »

Pappnase wrote: hello

i think x-mas is at the 24.12.2004 so we have a few days! i think also it's better to wait a little longer so we get a better system.
Yeah, I know...X-mas is near! If now Oliver is a christian, otherwise we have a problem. :) And because phpwcms is like a drog for most of us I prefer a quick fix to get rid of the shaking - just for a while...

Thanks,
spirelli

Post by spirelli »

Gnolen wrote:
Yeah, I know...X-mas is near! If now Oliver is a christian, otherwise we have a problem. :) And because phpwcms is like a drog for most of us I prefer a quick fix to get rid of the shaking - just for a while...
That's the problem with ****, you want a quick fix, but nothing really gets well. I'd rather wait for longer instead of spending much time afterwards to install countless patches and wait for answers in this forum. So:

TAKE YOUR TIME PLEASE! and make sure we get something that works (almost) 100% well!
DusX

Post by DusX »

Any chance of getting a BETA version of the next release??
======
DX
======
frold

Post by frold »

DusX wrote:Any chance of getting a BETA version of the next release??
there have been 4 rc´s what else do you want?
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark