phpwcms problem in IE

Use GitHub to post bug reports and error descriptions for phpwcms. Describe your problem detailed!
jaredhales

phpwcms problem in IE

Post by jaredhales »

I have finally finished my phpwcms page for my company. One of my coworkers just discovered a problem with printing in IE. If you go to:
http://www.perfectorder.com/index.php?about_directions
using IE v6.0 on WinXP and try to print the page, IE crashes. This does NOT happen if you click the "printer friendly" link at the bottom of the page and print from there, but rather, if you just try to print the page as it is initially displayed, IE crashes. (This may happen in other IE versions as well, but this is the environement we have gotten this to consistently happen with). I also got the same problem to occur on this page:
http://www.perfectorder.com/index.php?software_naxml

However, I discovered some of the other pages on our site print fine in both the "normal" view and the "printer friendly" view. The only common element I could find in these two "problem" pages that are causing the problem is that they both make use of the "text w/ image" content part.

It seems to me that is likely not really a phpwcms bug, but an IE bug. But, since most of our users are likely to be using a similar environment, it something that concerns me a bit. It would be nice to find out 1) why does it cause IE to crash and 2) if there is a workaround. After all, the directions page is likely one of the pages our customers are most likley to print.
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

"wider.css" is the problem.

This block:

Code: Select all

#mainBlock {
	Z-INDEX: 10; LEFT: 220px; WIDTH: 710px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 160px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent
}
This section, in particular:

POSITION: absolute;
jaredhales

Post by jaredhales »

ok, so why does this only cause printing problems in some pages? i believe i am using wider.css for the majority of the site. what's a safe alternative to using absolute positioning?
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

jaredhales wrote:ok, so why does this only cause printing problems in some pages? i believe i am using wider.css for the majority of the site. what's a safe alternative to using absolute positioning?
I honestly don't know. I don't ~believe~ that the use of absolute positioning is the culprit , in itself. It must be how it "relates" to the content underneath and/or the ordering of that content. I haven't looked into it deeper.
jaredhales

Post by jaredhales »

ok, so if i setup an alternative stylesheet for the pages, like so:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="phpwcms_template/inc_css/print_layout.css" />

then whenever someone prints, it should try to make use of my printer friendly stylesheet. does that sound like it will be a good fix for the issue?
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

Not sure. It seems like it ~should~ since your "printer-friendly" links use the same scheme.
http://www.codestyle.org/css/media/prin ... mary.shtml
jaredhales

Post by jaredhales »

Dexxus, thanks for your quick replies. It seems that if I could do something of this sort:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="phpwcms_template/inc_css/wider.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="phpwcms_template/inc_css/print_layout.css">
It will work fine. But, as phpwcms works now, it puts this at the very end of the html <head>:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="phpwcms_template/inc_css/wider.css">
Which uses wider.css for everything in IE. So, it seems I am stuck.

Maybe this should be a feature request for phpwcms. To specify that the chosen stylesheet is used for the screen shots, and that the "print_layout.css" will be used for printing. Because, as much as I would like them to, not all users are going to click on the printer friendly link to print web pages.
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

If what you say is true, I suppose you could do an "ugly" hack in "index.php" where style is applied:
FROM

<?php echo $block["htmlhead"] ?>
<script src="<?php echo ".".$phpwcms["templates"] ?>inc_js/frontend.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo ".".$phpwcms["templates"]."inc_css/".$block["css"] ?>">
</head>
TO

<?php echo $block["htmlhead"] ?>
<script src="<?php echo ".".$phpwcms["templates"] ?>inc_js/frontend.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php echo ".".$phpwcms["templates"]."inc_css/".$block["css"] ?>">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" href="phpwcms_template/inc_css/print_layout.css">
</head>
jaredhales

Post by jaredhales »

Actually, I think I found another ugly hack that will work for me that doesn't involve changing the phpwcms code. I'll give details once I get it working.