ARTICLE - EDIT/ADD-in-Place Feature

Use GitHub to post feature requests for phpwcms.
jsw_nz

ARTICLE - EDIT/ADD-in-Place Feature

Post by jsw_nz »

After talking Wcms over with a third person (end-user) that suggested it, I am going to mention a feature request that may be something of a departure for Wcms up to now, but seems to be supported by the simple requirements of end users. For many -

(1) logging into backend
(2) choosing the article menu itself
(3) finding the actual article in the list (sometimes long and complex)
(4) and then clicking the edit button

represents 'extra steps' from end users perspectives.

Edit Article Strategy
Rather it has been suggested that having an edit button available on a per article basis might simplify and streamline the process. This button would be available (maybe at bottom of the article (when logged in), and might be based on this expression:

Code: Select all

if($_SESSION["wcs_user_admin"]==1){show_edit_button code}
and might appear on page something like this:

This link would have the embedded parameters to be sent to wcms backend:

http://www.mydomain.com/phpwcms.php?do= ... s=1&id=147

which would open in a new window.

Any edits (adding content parts or editing summary) could be submitted in this new window, and changes viewed in the orignal window by hitting the refresh button.

Add New Article Strategy
Similarly an add new artilcle option would appear in article listings/site category pages, and might look something like this:

and have the embedded link, sending parameters to backend:

http://www.mydomain.com/phpwcms.php?do= ... &struct=13

and again would spawn a new window like this:

And again, any edits (adding content parts or editing summary) could be submitted in this new window, and changes viewed in the original window by hitting the refresh button.

Loggin Strategy
This would still respect the login strategy in place and basically be an extension of the existing login, but to make things easier for end users, it would be accessed via the public site, something like this:

and go to a simplified login window, like this:
upon successful login, the SESSION varialbes would be set, the screen would show GNU copyright information (per Oliver's requirements) and then refresh to the original site with the 'edit article' and 'add new article' indicators showing up.

These suggestons are based on simple end user feedback and would make the wcms more usable from end-users perspectives, imo. I recognise that some of the particulars of this new strategy would need to be clarified, but I do beleve that these changes represent no significant modifications of the Wcms core. Having this functionality in place would be a plus in 'selling' the wcms conept to prospective clients/end-users. Would be interested in hearing others opinion on this.

:D
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Nice thoughts John!

I already had more or less the same comments about things like that from some clients, but your post explains it in a very structured and logical way! :D

As some other post pointed out, it would be like a front-end user management (like mambo has), but with the advantages of phpwcms, it is sometimes difficult (not impossible, but takes more time) to retrieve the exact article when a site has many structures and articles, I completely agree. It would ease the process and the way you present it has the advantage of being clear and not too "techie"-like (just add/edit).
And -as said- can be based on the exact same idea of showing the red button (logged in as admin) you see when you're logged in backend and look at your the site in new window/tab.

OG what are your plans (if they're ;) about this kind of implementation? A very nice suggestion to the invisible, yet wanted roadmap :D :D

Cheers
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

:D :D
hope OliG does consider this - since we, the developers LOVE the powerful designer-friendly features of wcms -yet making a simpler (quiet and user-friendly) method for regular everyday users to interact with it - would be a HUGE plus+

(yes, I admit would this suggests some of the features of DNN (DotNetNuke) and Mambo....really no shame in that. In fact that is why they are as popular as they are. But to be honest, they are not as flexible from a design perspective as the beloved Wcms.

(It has been discussed - (and I iterate on this) that this might be combined with providing controls for article list and summary templates more in backend, even at page template level- that show up at "defaults" when creating and editing articles themselves by end users. So the designer/developer does the 'dirty work' and end user benfits from clean and simple approach to managing content. Lets hope 2006 sees new frontier for Wcms - I do realize OliG is busy atm the moment with day-to-day responsibilities, but nonetheless - I hope he might consider this feature - would greatly expand the 'applicability' of Wcms WORLDWIDE!

All best Kosse :D
dernier_recours

Post by dernier_recours »

The CMS ModX (http://modxcms.com) has a system like this, but articles can be edited on frontend. It would be a nice module for phpwcms.
StudioZ

Post by StudioZ »

jsw_nz: Nice structured toughts and explanations 8)
This would be really a big + :wink:

Cheers,
PhpWCMS Evangelist, -- iRoutier.com Running phpWCMS 1.4.2, r354 -> Great Version!!!!
nekket

Post by nekket »

Lovely... does it work stable?
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Thanks guys for the support.
Nekket...no, not yet, (but hopefully some day in 2006)
this whole thing is proposed.

BTW, I wanted to share something JensZ has developed. I did a search on the boards for this hack, but did not find seems he has written code to support article templates in page templates section. WOW - I just downloaded and do not have time atm to test...but others are encouraged to download.

http://www.ikfrej.se/index.php?downloads
hack_defaulttemplates.txt 7.66 KB
When creating a new article, this enhancement will make sure that article templates default to what is set up in the page template of the article category that the article is created in.
Jensz gets my vote for one of the top contributors in 2005

Thanks JensZ
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Just installed the code on my localhost. Here is a screenshot:

:D :D