No Pay Web Proposal

discuss about sites that are just under construction or where experimental stuff is used
jsw_nz

No Pay Web Proposal

Post by jsw_nz »

Just for fun:

Did a proposal for a guy in Chicago..he had me go through all the loops, change this, change that...but when the client rejected...he decided not to pay on time and at 1/3 the hours I spent. If this were a stranger, I might have agreed. Problem is, I worked for this person for nine years....and never been treated this way.

My reply: forget the whole thing

index:
http://piattoni.webbiznz.co.nz/index.php

proposed finished page:
http://piattoni.webbiznz.co.nz/index.php?patio_door

getting poorer by the mnute, but loving Wcms... :)
trip

Post by trip »

Sorry to hear about that...
that is an issue about dealing cross borders.... one has to take serious steps to solve this....

if doing proposals is a solution then you need to find another alternative to paying before work commences....!!

:shock:
TriP
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Oh , :( :(

that's really annoying, I've been through the same once. Well, you can re-use the job for another client... The general layout and templates. A not-for profit organization or so, and once you're done... send the link to the guy that ripped you. :twisted:
Anyway, it looks pretty (as far as you got).

Cheers
Kulinarisk

Post by Kulinarisk »

Bummer!
Just hope the guy doesn't steal your design!
I know it's too late - but a good idea is to demand a retainer. As Reagan once said " Trust but verify". When they have to give money up front it always hurts, and they take you more seriously. My 5 cents 8)
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Cheers Guys,
Yes agree with all your suggestions....so you live and you learn.
I normally dont post negative comments, but it was so frustrating, since I stopped other work to meet this guys deadlines. "Trust but verify" :D

Kosse: Did back up.....good idea

Trip: Got a question unrelated to this thread, but I was looking through the add-ons site, and was not able to find an ecommerce hack. Do you know anything about any developers working on such for Wcms....

Thanks all,
:D
trip

Post by trip »

Got a question unrelated to this thread, but I was looking through the add-ons site, and was not able to find an ecommerce hack. Do you know anything about any developers working on such for Wcms....
mmm
I have looked for one, but am not familiar with any hack/mod that has been developed...I guess this will only be available when one uses something like phpSHOP or OSCommerce.

If you do know of anything let me know

TriP
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Cheers Trip!

OliG has mentioned that something is planned.... 8)

In principal it would seem that certain articles could be designated as 'items for purchase', just another column in articles table... At least that would be a start...

Well even though client did not go with design, I did apply a new template to one of the pages. It is an alternative to brans and toszter's approaches. Build on Freestyle menu system, requires an extrenal 8KB js file (not bad)and a block of js embedded in the body. Have not tested thoroughly but it seems OK on Opera so far....don't have a MAC, so not sure about Safari issues. Nonetheless take a look.

http://piattoni.webbiznz.co.nz/index.php?about

All best,
John :D
brans

Post by brans »

hi john,

as far as I know there has been developed a shopping cart mod by marcus@localhorst... please review the mod site again, it must be somewhere.

greets

andi
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Hi brans

I think I do remember his post....
was hiding on second page of hacks and enhancements here:

http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5667

and on your site at:

--...--/index.php?topic=82.msg152

Mod version: 0.0000000001 :D

Btw, your comments on the demo build_dhtml alternative menu system
{VERTICAL_FSMENU} link in my post, just before yours...
...will post again...

Thanks alot,
john
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

@jsw_nz I'll give it a try with safari (and FF mac) this afternoon,

Cheers
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Hi Kosse,

Here is the link to Freestyle menu. (demo page)
http://www.twinhelix.com/dhtml/fsmenu/demo/

Relatively easy to implement. You need to import a small js file and and a css file, plus embed a few lines of javascript inside body. I created a rep tag to connect the core dhtml menu code to its parameters

Looking into a horizontal version as well.
will document further....

I have had unexpected bugs with the standard A List Apart and Suckerfish CSS versions.... I find this more stable and to the best of my knowledge considerably more cross browser....
:)
brans

Post by brans »

jsw_nz wrote:[...] considerably more cross browser ...
yes indeed it is, the standard is only working on standard browsers like IE and the Mozilla family, should be on Opera too.
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Cheers Brans,
The two previously mentioned versions were referring to yours and tostzers mods at your add-ons site. I installed both locally and found quirks.....basically because I was calling them within the specifics of my (table-based) layouts. Also tostzers had no Opera 7 support.

What I like about Freestyle Menu is that is allows adding of images (arrows) and can control the width of buttons (in horizontal version that I am working on), it has a third style for parent button when rolling over child and it offers a animation (time delay) for exposing sub and subsub menus. I will repost once I get the horizontal version working. Might be worthwhile to make it yet another add-on...if you deem appropriate at that stage.

All best
(Hope you did well on your exams that you mentioned a couple weeks back)
:D
brans

Post by brans »

hey john,

even I haven't got any result yet, I got a feeling of having written good exams.
Well we could add another post to the phpwcms mod forum and link from each post to the other, just to make sure that ppl see both of the solutions. Another point was the velocity: Your navigation is not very fast, even if this might be a JS failure, but when using an old computer it takes a very long time for the sub-category to appear. This, in my opinion, is a big disadvantage, that as I said might be solved by setting a lower delay.

cheers,

andi
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

hi brans,

Yes is is a bit sluggish on IE in general (better in other browsers). Might eliminate it by setting the timeout param to 0 to see what happens...if I can get this fixed and a get horizontal version working then yes might be an relevant addition (cross-referenced) to dhtml menu options @ add-ons.
I will post my results, (pretty busy at atm)....soon.....

Seems OliG has been looking at this as an alternative option:

http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7259

Stay cool :D

UPDATE: Just eliminated animation to menus, now acts a wee bit more robustly. I think the resources that the Flash menu (header) takes on page load, also has a performance hit. I think on a page where resources are free (no flash) it would behave as expected. But again the link: