how to direct index to database

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
Pageman

how to direct index to database

Post by Pageman »

Once a databse has been created and populated with files, how do we set up a web page to call the database?

Isn't there some redirect script that must be placed on an index.php page? I can't find any reference to this step in the documents.
Pageman

Going once...

Post by Pageman »

This entry-level question has been posted for a while now here and on an earlier thread, yet with no response. PHPWCMS looks to be a reasonably simple and straightward CMS compared to others, but without basic information about how to configure an index page, there is nothing I can do with it.

Will anyone answer this question before I scrap PHPWCMS and move on to try another freeware CMS?
Carlos Rocha

Post by Carlos Rocha »

"Will anyone answer this question before I scrap PHPWCMS and move on to try another freeware CMS?" This is not very nice.

Lesson:
1. databases are not populated with files, but with tables

A few advices:
1. Ask nicely
2. Don't try to make a dynamic web page whithout studying a few thing first. There is no CMS that can help you.
3. Pageman is not a good choice for your ID. Try something like IWishICouldBeAPageMan
Pageman

Post by Pageman »

Carlos Rocha wrote:"Will anyone answer this question before I scrap PHPWCMS and move on to try another freeware CMS?" This is not very nice.

Actually, it is a simple matter of politeness to advise a freeware producer before I abandon their endeavor simply because of lack of basic support. I am offering an opportunity for the software to be used as a backend on a site that will gain considerable recognition. It is courteous of me to advise the related community that the opportunity to support their favorite software for use in a prominent setting is about to expire.

Carlos Rocha wrote:"
Lesson:
1. databases are not populated with files, but with tables
No, database tables can be populated with files, for example a .gif is an image file, which can be stored as an item in a database table.
Carlos Rocha wrote:

A few advices:
1. Ask nicely
2. Don't try to make a dynamic web page whithout studying a few thing first. There is no CMS that can help you.
3. Pageman is not a good choice for your ID. Try something like IWishICouldBeAPageMan
That would be correctly stated "a few matters of advice." Advice has no plural form in English.

1. I asked nicely today and three days ago a very simple question, and am continuing to courteously allow PHPWCMS advocates the opportunity support the software.

2. I have already created a Web site for a particular client which is attracting considerable attention to the client's project and to the site. The site is built with dynamic pages, which I hard-coded in a text editor using dHTML, JavaScript, CSS and PHP for easy eventual conversion to an SQL/PHP managed site serving the same content. The purpose of the CMS, should I find one that is affordable and that offers a friendly support community to which I could refer the client, is to make it easier for people with no Web design experience to update the dynamic site.

3. I did not ask for advice about how to ask questions or about how to create a username. I could as easily use the handle 23kjtu34259.

4. If I find opportunity to review PHPWCMS, I will mention that support is limited to an on-line web forum where some members would rather flame others for asking basic questions than answer the question.

5. You have far too little information about my skill level to support the flame you posted in lieu of answering my question.

6. The purpose of support forums is to provide support, not to tease people and tell them they need to go study. Such flames only degrade the reputation of a product, in this case PHPWCMS.

7. Contrary to your claim that no CMS will help me, within the next two weeks, I will select and install a CMS for the site from among the several I am trying out, seamlessly converting the live site from an file-based PHP site to a data-base oriented PHP site. The CMS will help a community group, which uses the site for an important community purpose. The creator of PHPWCMS might gain praise and recognition through my efforts despite your intent to tarnish his work by insulting me when I accepted his invitation to come here for free support for his free software.

Now, if anyone else has an answer, I'll be glad to read it, and if it is an informed answer, to apply the information in a setting that might gain more positive reviews for PHPWCMS..
tinoo

Re: Going once...

Post by tinoo »

Pageman wrote:...but without basic information about how to configure an index page, there is nothing I can do with it.
:?: :?: :?:

There is an index.php supported in the phpwcms root directory. If you're not using this index page, try this:
http://www.phpwcms.de/index.php?id=23,0,0,1,0,0

Hope this helps?
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

there is no need to edit the index.php in phpwcms. Everything is based on templates and page layouts - to be edited in the backend. You can enhance functionality of phpwcms by using external or internal PHP scripting. And there are some special sub dirs where you can place scripted files which will be included duriing rendering of index.php.

No files are stored in db.

Please try to understand the concept of phpwcms. It is a nearly complete cms and is not only a framework where all frontend delivering has to be developed again and again. Mostly all you need is design. And sometimes a bit logic.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
olleolleolle

URL to more docs

Post by olleolleolle »

...and using the phpWCMS backend is explained here: www.phpwcms-docu.de

Um, could you describe in a bit more detail what kind of setup you have on the existing community site? What sort of extra services?

In my experience, you need to be prepared to get your hands dirty and hack some PHP (and follow some intricate include() patterns!).

Update: Yeah, special dirs:

Code: Select all

phpwcms_template/inc_script/frontend_render/

Code: Select all

phpwcms_template/inc_script/frontend_init/
The scripts in there are automatically included, when the CMS shows pages. Handy, sometimes.

When it comes to that, you need to search this forum. Some good texts are put up as stickies on sub-forums here. And perhaps register at the developer's forum at --...--
Last edited by olleolleolle on Sun 19. Jun 2005, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Olle Jonsson
olleolleolle
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

pageman wrote:This entry-level question has been posted for a while now here and on an earlier thread, yet with no response. PHPWCMS looks to be a reasonably simple and straightward CMS compared to others, but without basic information about how to configure an index page, there is nothing I can do with it.
No need to get wild people (your cross-posting with Carlos :? )...
I do not agree with your comments about the lack of support though, so here is my humble contribution (some minutes won't kill me even if my wife is asking to go for a walk, so I put myself in the line)

I'll try to explain it in the simpliest way I can:
Te whole phpwcms process is quite simple once you understand that the templates and general page layout are your friends:

1. Set a page layout:
1.a Go to admin section (top far left)
1.b Select page layout

1.c go to templates where you put your html code 'just copy paste' from your favourite html editor, respecting the fact that phpwcms is designed in content parts: TOP/LEFT/RIGHT/MAIN/BOTTOM, you can even add your own content parts if u wish (browse the forum for more about that)

1.d now you have your general layout and template, create the structure of your site, home, section1, section2, and so on...

1.e create articles

You should see the results immediatly online.
For more information:
- go and check the docu site http://www.phpwcms-docu.de
- browse the forum (use search function), you'll find a lot of answers and helpfull material, as well as a couple of documented sites (if u do not understand german too well, use google translator, that's what I do).

:roll: [Not trolling purpose] Nevertheless the way he answered, if u look at Carlos Rocha profile, he's from Portugal, I myself am from Belgium, most pple around are from germany and we all do an effort to write in english so most pple can understand, not nice to play english teacher... have you ever tried to write in portuguese?[EOF] :roll:

Note that I dind't reply to get phpwcms more positive reviews...
I replied because phpwcms is a GOOD product has a very GOOD community and is a GOOD thing for me.

Hope that helped.

Peace

EDITED:
Wife just left for the walk, I'm alone :oops: