speed paranoia

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
Fulvio Romanin

speed paranoia

Post by Fulvio Romanin »

just one question. I know it might sound paranoic, but it's due.

I'm using phpwcms for one HUGE site, we're talking around 800 pages in five languages; it works allright, but since i write new stuff inside it takes more time to write new pages and even more to have them out when using the site. This site is for a huge festival and the last year had a whopping 120.000 hits-per-day in the festival days. I'm just wondering whether all the pages with all this huge database and all these visitors won't make the site horribly slow, since i've seen that pages get rendered in a unique time, meaning that both table and content appear at the same time.

Ok, if i'd be cool i'd be doing cms alone in postGres, but since i definitely love wcms i'd love to know your opinion on purpose...

...ps, oliver, a feature request: since there might be the chance that the server the site's into might crash or whatever, wouldn't it be nice to have a "backup the whole site (including content)" and "restore the site" option?....i'd personally love it...

thx in advance
Fulvio
frold

Re: speed paranoia

Post by frold »

Fulvio Romanin wrote: ...ps, oliver, a feature request: since there might be the chance that the server the site's into might crash or whatever, wouldn't it be nice to have a "backup the whole site (including content)" and "restore the site" option?....i'd personally love it...

thx in advance
Fulvio
I guess this is why he had added phpmyadmin!!
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
Fulvio Romanin

Post by Fulvio Romanin »

i think phpMyAdmin won't backup images and files too...it would backup just the database, or am i wrong?

i was thinking of something like a big red button instead, that makes one huge tar file of EVERYTHING in the site... :)
frold

Post by frold »

Fulvio Romanin wrote:i think phpMyAdmin won't backup images and files too...it would backup just the database, or am i wrong?
No only the database...

you can see here what else to backup..
http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3663#3663
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
DeXXus

Re: speed paranoia

Post by DeXXus »

Fulvio Romanin wrote:-=*=-
-SNIP-
-=*=-
...ps, oliver, a feature request: since there might be the chance that the server the site's into might crash or whatever, wouldn't it be nice to have a "backup the whole site (including content)" and "restore the site" option?....i'd personally love it...

thx in advance
Fulvio
Just a reminder... If there might be a chance that the server the sites into, might crash or whatever, a backup would ~only~ be good if it was stored somewhere "offsite". Emailing a dump of 800 pages of mySQL plus phpWCMS site structure every night sounds scary :wink: I mean... would require planning :roll: