Non-profit childcare site up

discuss about sites that are just under construction or where experimental stuff is used
Tomasahl

Non-profit childcare site up

Post by Tomasahl »

Hello.
Well, i finally decided to go with the phpwcms-solution and with the help of pepe ( very many thanks Pepe) I actually got something up that is good enough to use instead of the ugly e107-solution i had until som ehours ago.

If and when you have the time i would gladly take input on:
- contents. What is missing?
- layout. I am going to work on the layout of course, at the moment I use the tutorial layout from Pepes homepage.
- any other ideas on almost anything really.

Please. Don't write "It looks like shit". that does not help me- that I already know :wink:

But please give constructive critisism and ideas. I see from this forum that you all are very good at this - not only codingbut actually have good eyes for graphichs and layout.

Also - as a good sport i wil of course grant anyone that helps with a backlink to your own pages, as soon as i get the links-pages up and running. I still don't know what i am doing really, so i just do things and hope for the best :lol:

page is to be found at

http://www.stop-abuse.org

/TA
trip

Post by trip »

Hi there
great to see someone making a site dedicated to this topic, well done...

some pointers...

- left of the date, add the breadcrumb menu tag = {BREADCRUMB}
- Your menu, change the arrow images to something else, so that this fits your site design
- remove the underline in the menu when you scroll over the text link
- I would make this menu header larger "Latest 5 entries on Stop Child Abuse" so that the users can see what this is all about, or even another colour... You can also add bullet points to these links, by editing the config.template file, look for the TAG you used in that file
- Your footer menu, I would move the entire block below the orange line, it looks as though its hanging there with no purpose, or you move it into the orange block. You can also add the tag {NAV_ROW} at the bottom which will pick up your main menu, then users have two options at picking up the menu, helps especially when the page is long.
- <hr> tags, use css to format these...
- thin border around the entire main content lining up with the header image
- The only other part which I would work on is the header, which you already have a powerful image, if you where to have this as random images tag = {RAMDOM:dir/images} then the site would be a little more attractive.

Hope this helps
:-)
TriP
brans

Post by brans »

I have just visited your site and must say: great topic.

I think if you follow Trip's hints, then you will be able to even top your purpose with a great design.
Tomasahl

Thanks for tips - am rebuilding

Post by Tomasahl »

Hello and thank you for your input.
I have implemented most of it - and the NAV_ROW line wil be added as soon as I have solved how to have dropdown menu in the top so I can take away the side menu.

The idea of RANDOM:dir_images i will have to try to understand first. I will work with ALL images and work more with the layout.
But at least I noe think I am so far as to say that i wil stay with the phpwcms solution and not give up and run over to mambu just because I understand that better. I think this is much more fun since it seems it is closer to actually coding your own.
brans

Post by brans »

looks a lot better now.

I would basically add a few more changings:

- Border between menu and content
- customize the nav-grafics to give the menu your own look.

maybe even have a look at http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic and see what will be possible with using NAV_LIST instead of NAV_TABLE_COLUMN
Tomasahl

Post by Tomasahl »

Thanks for all ideas. The link you posted I have good use of aswell - I want to get a horisontal dropdown menu and then maybe even NOT have a traditional menu in the left frame.
I will certainly use the link you provided to see the possibilities.

Also - thanks to Pepe for all your help.
brans wrote:looks a lot better now.

I would basically add a few more changings:

- Border between menu and content
- customize the nav-grafics to give the menu your own look.

maybe even have a look at http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic and see what will be possible with using NAV_LIST instead of NAV_TABLE_COLUMN