Backend Menu Structure

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
Vadim

Backend Menu Structure

Post by Vadim »

As for me, the backend menu structure is not so intuitive as it can be, so perhaps you will like my adjustments.

The main webmasters work is to manage categories and articles(mostly one category contains one article - better viewed in menu, so categories are quite often used), so it is strange for me that article and category management are divided into two parts, one is the first one, and categories are in "ADMIN" section... I think they have much more common with articles, than with user management. Admin IMHO is only for users, layout and templates must be nearer to articles and cat-s. So LAYOUT would be useful too :roll:

I think it is useful to create section, for example SITE, where you can manage articles and categories. Or divide them into 2 categories ARTICLE and CATEGORIES

Otherwise, i don't think that messages and internal chat are so often used, and IMHO it is useful to merge them into one category for example COMMUNICATION or just MSG & CHAT

So my favourite structure is:
ARTICLES | CATEGORIES | LAYOUT | FILES | ADMIN | MSG&CHAT | PROFILE | ADMIN

It sounds revolutionary, but perhaps i will find some supporters! :wink:
oops

Post by oops »

judiciously :wink:
frold

Re: Backend Menu Structure

Post by frold »

Vadim wrote:
So my favourite structure is:
ARTICLES | CATEGORIES | LAYOUT | FILES | ADMIN | MSG&CHAT | PROFILE | ADMIN

It sounds revolutionary, but perhaps i will find some supporters! :wink:
Well in some points I agree the structure could be a litlle more user friendly like....

ARTICLES**
--article center**
--new article**
--site structure**

LAYOUT***
--page layout***
--templates***
--default css***

FILES
--file center*
--ftp takeover**
--file categories**

MSG&CHAT
--chat main page*
--internal chat*
--message center*
--new message*

--login information*
--personal data*

ADMIN**
--user administration**
--newsletter subscriptions**

HELP (eg. shotcut to filehelp.htm or this forum, or wiki system etc.)

* visible for normal user
** visible for superuser (inkl. *)
***admin only (incl * and **)
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat »

Hmm I like the concept frold...

I'd personally like to see the layout system more unified - maybe with a possibility to install 'complete styles' ie. a folder under phpwcms with subfolders, containing complete setups with page layout, template, and CSS. That way, phpwcms would quickly gain support from a lot of people making these 'complete styles' available. I'm absolutely hopeless with graphics myself so apart from my current 'own design' I'm kinda hoping for more of that kind. :mrgreen:
frold

Post by frold »

eg. in ADMIN add a link to a php info file.. it is easy to include... and often need when someone ask for support

Something like

info.php

Code: Select all

<?

echo $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] ;

phpinfo();

?>
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

Good thing...

...as you can see I began to structure it a bit more by using spaces between sub menu things - but it is a lot of work to change that. So I will leave it as is at the moment.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

within my ADMIN section I have added phpinfo and phpmyAdmin.
as I would have to re-apply them to each new update that changed phpwcms.php I guess I'd like them in the admin area on a more permanent basis too :)

as you'll not want to distribute phpmyAdmin with each download [or at all] you could have the link only active if 'phpmyadmin_path' (a new setup field :idea:) was entered durin setup.
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

phpinfo() is included now.
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
sporto

Post by sporto »

I just noticed that PHPMyAdmin is now included with the latest patch. How is this integrated into the admin section? Thanks.
frold

Post by frold »

sporto wrote:I just noticed that PHPMyAdmin is now included with the latest patch. How is this integrated into the admin section? Thanks.
open in new window, disable or enable in conf.inc.php