Frontend usermanagement module

Get help with installation and running official modules for phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
caramello

Frontend usermanagement module

Post by caramello »

No I Lied :-)

PHPWCMS uses fe_user.php (which is claimed to not work) to login, register and manage a phpwcms_userdetail table. I figured this is / was / will be used for front end user login and registration. This module activates these features with a modified fe_user.php, and extends this with a backend interface to manage all these users/people/employees/members. It allows for adding some detailed information in a set of variable fields, text fields, decimal fileds and such more. Handy you for instance want to have all your employees in your site with some information on when they are in the office, what they do, and what they would like to learn. Most of these fields could also be filled with fileds from the fe_user.php "manage_profile" part. But that would only allow a logged on user to doe this themelves. With this module you can do it as webmaster yourself.

Now what's the cool part?
Well. SInce all these people have their own tags, and detail alias, we can use templates to display these people on different pages, depending on the TAGS gven to that person, and we can have short lists of people, or full detailed information pages on these poeple on your site. Also when using the serach content part, you can include this module in your search. This checks if any of the serach entries comply with the fields :

firstname, lastname, text1, text2 etc.... and comes back with these fields as serach entry return text.

Ok, now probably the question WHY ?

Well, simple, if you can't find a use for it, this module is of no use to you !!!

EXAMPLE OF WHY :

Show the relevant people, to the content of a page using TAGS (WEB 2.0 material !)

Since we are template driven, we can allow for diff

Yes, this module allows frontend users management in the backend. More or less. You can change all values that are used by the phpwcms_userdetail table.
It could also be called Employee Module Based On PHPWCMS Userdetails / Front-End users

What to use it for:

Well, change some user settings for one. I needed it to display different users on different pages that belong to different parts of the website. This module makes strong use of the TAG ability.

Using the frontend part of the module you can tell phpwcms which users you wish to display, or actualy, what users you want tp display using which tags.

Every user has a ALIAS field. WHY? Well since i want to be able to open some detailed pages in different pages of my website. Say the page belonging to the TAG the user is in in that specific case.

I ran around the teaser, news cp parts as well as the shop and glossary module to form this module. It's a BETA release anyway. Will be in production commin march so should be properly finished.

Some code I added to my CSS sheet :

/* Tihs is for the login form only , belongs to personel_module */

Code: Select all

.loginform {
	padding : 10px;
	}
.fieldset {
	width : 180px;
	float : left;
	margin : 3px;
	}
.labelpos {
	font-size : 12px;
	}
.legend {
	font-size : 12px;
	font-weight : bold;
	}
.textfield {
	width : 170px;
	}
.user_profile {

clear : both;
}
	/* End Login form */

/* Start personel / userdetail module css */
/* from the templates */
.detail_list_entry {
	color : white;
	}
.detail_list_entry h3 {
	color : white;
	}
Some specific stuff as image width and height are inistyle included in each template. I included some templates.

DOWNLOAD :

http://www.vectrus.nl/download/frontend ... module.rar (version beta3)

Fixes :
beta2
Fixed an alias issue. If the content part has an ALIAS, it will use that as ALIAS, if it doesn't, it will use the users alias. If that doesn't have an alias. The {LINK} wil not work and produce a "Page not found"

beta3
again some issues with backlinks, also found rewite makes a difference :-) Will fix that tomorrow. (24febr)

The only file that should be overwritten is fe_user.php. No real changes some filed values and labels set differently. I also needed to add the image stuff into fe_user.php. It needs to add a field call detail_userimage to a serialized array. :-) Olly Style
Oh Yes and before i forget, it does ADD two fields to the userdetail table. (Sorry O. I realy needed to touch some core this time :-( )

Also included a dutch and a english language file.

Also added search ! Searching also returns possible users that match according to their tags, firstname, lastname, and first 5 textfields. No sense in not beeing able to search for a relevant user.

ALSO I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE A POINT :

This module was created in payed time for a client ! But this client can never stop me from sharing OPEN SOURCE software or modules created specificy for OPEN SOURCE software. Therefor this module is OPEN SOURCE.

Goddamned IT
Last edited by caramello on Tue 24. Feb 2009, 00:00, edited 3 times in total.
A website is a concept not a digital brochure ! Vectrus Internet Solution
update

Re: Frontend usermanagement module

Post by update »

I haven't got it yet what you can do with this module. Please be so kind to start a second attempt to explain what is which who ;)
(downloaded it and will have a look into the code, but...)
It's mostly all about maintaining two or three customer's sites Still supporter for the band Mykket Morton. Visit Mykket Morton on FB. Listen Mykket Morton and live videos on youtube.
Now building a venue for young artists to get wet on stage, rehearsal rooms, a studio, a guitar shop - yes I'm going to build some guitars.
juergen

Post by juergen »

Hi !

You redeal a new glossary ?
caramello

Post by caramello »

ok, updated rar. Had an alias issue. Also tried to explain a bit better what it''s use is. Main goal is to be able to provide relevant people to a page based on TAGS just like, NEWS is tag based.

This clearer Claus and Jurgen ?

Using TAGS is the most briljant addition to PHPWCMS !

Julius
Jensensen

Post by Jensensen »

Hi caramello,

Thank you!
What's the difference between handling FE users by using the module and doing it right built-in?
Can you provide any screen shots, any README?

This is working only with the 'temporary FE login workaround', isn't it?
Last edited by Jensensen on Tue 24. Feb 2009, 00:30, edited 1 time in total.
{so_much} | Knick-Knack. | GitHub
Umlaute im URL sind meistens immer Kacke.
caramello

Post by caramello »

Yes only with the workaround.

How would you display front_end_users in your content ?

Say I have a companywebsite, all the employees in the company have a phpwcms_userdetail id/login and thus a profile with an image. Now, i also have, "departments", "programs", "commissions". So, as i said, TAG based content like news, calendar items or anything else for that matter as long as it's content that has TAGS can be displayed/generated by using those TAGS.

news allows for displaying news that has certained TAGS.
O.G.'s calendar is able to display events using TAGS
userdetail_module is able to display users using TAGS

In other words, i can generate a page, about something( a TAG !!!) , displaying, events, news, files, images & now people with the same content parts as usual.

Like the "employee commission"uses tag : emp-commission, but so do various documents relevant to the emp-commission, and news items, and images, and files, and events. So all i have to do now is use contentparts that search for the tags given in the content available. All my web editors have to do is add content using the right tags. In my case, all they get to do is add events, add files and news items provide them with the right TAGS and voila, all the content gets placed on the right pages.

Also, the same user, news item, or calendar event can be shown in different pages as it could also be relevant for a different page and again, shown in different layouts/ styles using templates. Wauw, it's actually.... yes briljant. :wink:

Conceptual Correct Websites are about giving the user the information that is most relevant for their purposes !

It's realy not that hard to grasp. Or at least i thought.
An example of a full detailed view

An example of a relevant person list view
In this case for the IT department.
StudioZ

Post by StudioZ »

Oh Caramello :shock:
I'll have to give it a try ASAP :wink:
Thanks for sharing.... :) 8)
Everybody here is waiting for the bigbang

Cheers,

Yves
PhpWCMS Evangelist, -- iRoutier.com Running phpWCMS 1.4.2, r354 -> Great Version!!!!
update

Post by update »

Sounds good, rrreallly :)
Look:
http://www.phpwcms-howto.de/wiki/doku.p ... user-admin
Any idea to implement some possibility to fill an array of domains for working with a multi-domain site? (exit pages and so on...)
It's mostly all about maintaining two or three customer's sites Still supporter for the band Mykket Morton. Visit Mykket Morton on FB. Listen Mykket Morton and live videos on youtube.
Now building a venue for young artists to get wet on stage, rehearsal rooms, a studio, a guitar shop - yes I'm going to build some guitars.