One Small Q

Post custom hacks and enhancements for phpwcms here only. Maybe some of these things will be included in official release later.
Pappnase

One Small Q

Post by Pappnase »

Hello

i have one Q. I looked now at a few hacks! Why didn't you place a sql dump file in the zip? i found the copy paste solution not the best! :wink:
cguenther

Post by cguenther »

hehe ..

thats why i prefer to do both way in my releases. so you can decided by your self, if you want to edit the files by your self or easiely copy already edited files to your dirs.

in case, that you are already installed other hacks and so your files are customized you also will be able to insert the hacks by hand errorfree ;)

the phpwcms-source is easy to understand and customize.
Jérôme

Post by Jérôme »

I prefer the copy&paste method because it keeps the user able to see what is happening. And he is also able to change the SQL statements if necessary (e.g. when the user has configured that the phpwcms-tables shall have a prepended string).

I absolutely don't like the method "Just copy and paste the files and everything will work fine". And I even like less the words "Execute this file and everything will be okay" as it would be with a .sql-file. That is similar to emails with attachments that I don't know.

Some evil people could try to make a bit "fun" and place some DROP-statements into the dump files and someone who is not so good at SQL/programming would be harmed (let's be realistic, there are so many people who want to try things but don't really know the matter).

That is why I will continue to make copy&paste MODs/instructions. I don't consider in unbearable, too hard work to copy and paste some lines of SQL statements from a text file to the SQL query window of phpMyAdmin, to be honest.
frold

Post by frold »

Jérôme wrote:I prefer the copy&paste method because it keeps the user able to see what is happening. And he is also able to change the SQL statements if necessary (e.g. when the user has configured that the phpwcms-tables shall have a prepended string).

I absolutely don't like the method "Just copy and paste the files and everything will work fine". And I even like less the words "Execute this file and everything will be okay" as it would be with a .sql-file. That is similar to emails with attachments that I don't know.

Some evil people could try to make a bit "fun" and place some DROP-statements into the dump files and someone who is not so good at SQL/programming would be harmed (let's be realistic, there are so many people who want to try things but don't really know the matter).

That is why I will continue to make copy&paste MODs/instructions. I don't consider in unbearable, too hard work to copy and paste some lines of SQL statements from a text file to the SQL query window of phpMyAdmin, to be honest.
I fully agree and that´s the way all mods for phpBB works and it is used by 200.000+ sites :wink: In the future people will have many mods installed and the only way to do that is copy past it takes some times but your self will have the whole control - no earlier updated files will be over-written...

Regard SQL I only have one database so for every phpwcms installation I use prefix like sitename_ thats easy to change that when you copy paste... my 2 cents.
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
Jan212

Post by Jan212 »

in this case i agree with jérôme and frold, the user has to see where the code has to be changed, and it's a minimal??? spend i think to open an editor and phpmyadmin, if you wanna modify your system you should know it.
if you declare the changes in the code like
/////////////////////////////////////////
///CODE CHANGED 15.04.2004////
///////////////////////////////////////
or so, you've to be blind or too busy :wink: to surveye the changes
Regards/ Grüsse/ Groetjes - JAN212
------------------------------------------------
null212 - Büro für Kommunikation und Design
Lyrikfetzen des Tages
1. Ist der Quelltext auch valide fragt Herr Müller ganz perfide.
2. Wat is dat een lekker ding.
3. Wer Vision hat soll zum Arzt gehen.