Rendering problem with GT Mod 2.0

If you've problems with unsupported - non official ;-) - functionalities use this forum please.
charliespeed

Rendering problem with GT Mod 2.0

Post by charliespeed »

Hi there.

I have a strange rendering Prob with GT Mod.

Photoshop Rendering looks like this

and GT rendering looks like this

Both have the same font size. The strange thing are these "artifacts" that appear (see the "d" for example). Settings made within GT Mod's style are:

JPG (but same things happen with every other file type)
Size 16
ant-aliasing yes
no underline
no x
no y
height 5 (entered by the system)
foreground: blue
background: white

So, this can't be a font-specific prob, because other fonts show strange things like this, too.

Can anyone help?
DeXXus

Re: Rendering problem with GT Mod 2.0

Post by DeXXus »

charliespeed wrote:Hi there.

I have a strange rendering Prob with GT Mod.

Photoshop Rendering looks like this

and GT rendering looks like this

Both have the same font size. The strange thing are these "artifacts" that appear (see the "d" for example). Settings made within GT Mod's style are:

JPG (but same things happen with every other file type)
Size 16
ant-aliasing yes
no underline
no x
no y
height 5 (entered by the system)
foreground: blue
background: white

So, this can't be a font-specific prob, because other fonts show strange things like this, too.

Can anyone help?
LOOKS like an anti-aliasing issue.
Is the first case from Photoshop on a PC... where maybe ClearType is making it look great (on the PC only) ?
charliespeed

Post by charliespeed »

No, its made with PS CS2 on a Mac. ....

EDIT: the font ist Frutiger NextLT Regular, made by Linotype (if this is of any interest)

Done some testing... it seems like almost every font looks weird and crappy with font sizes below 20 (BTW: pixels?)

But this couldn't be since a lot of you guys use GT (and you don't have this prob, right?)....

Suggestions, anyone?
update

Post by update »

Hi charliespeed,
are you using .ttf (true type fonts)?. With any of these there should be no rendering problem at all.
BTW. did you check the second transparency check button (the one besides the background color)?

Greetings
claus
charliespeed

Post by charliespeed »

claus wrote:Hi charliespeed,
are you using .ttf (true type fonts)?. With any of these there should be no rendering problem at all.
BTW. did you check the second transparency check button (the one besides the background color)?

Greetings
claus
Hi Claus,

yes, i am using ttf-fonts (is there any way to use any other format? otf didn't work at all). And none of the transparency boxes are checked (=active)...

I dont need any tranparency, so i see no need to use the (problematic) feature... right?
update

Post by update »

Yes yes,
I don't want you getting into fighting with alpha transparency (I myself did exactly this some weeks before - but I've won the battle :wink: )...
but you should give it a try - this is no real transparency (alpha) I think, so it will blend seamlessly with your background color and thus prevents the picture from getting such pixely borders (otherwise it's missing all of these antialiasing color nuances). You could even try to make some pngs :wink:

Greetings
claus

edit: I think you have to check the second one, otherwise...
charliespeed

Post by charliespeed »

i gave it a try, but ...

(first line: old settings as described above, second line: background transparency checked, file format png)
claus wrote:You could even try to make some pngs :wink:
Hopefully you did not mean make "static" pngs... i need the GT functionality for the headline on every single page
update

Post by update »

I see :oops:

so there at least could be one thing left: perhaps some types are more or less usable for this rendering (guessing)
Have a look here (where I have title, subtitle and cp title rendered with different types as described above - page not ready, just playing):

test headlines

claus
pepe

Post by pepe »

What DG-Version do you use GD1 or GD2 :?:
update

Post by update »

Hi Pepe,

if you addressed me with your question: in the above link's case I use GD2. With the site posted in "sites under construktion" I use ImageMagick (it's 5.5.7 if I remember right) and this seems to remder remarkably better :?:
greetings
claus
charliespeed

Post by charliespeed »

@ pepe:

info.php shows this info:

GD Version: bundled (2.0.28 compatible)
charliespeed

Post by charliespeed »

Hi guys,

maybe i've got the solution.
it seems like claus was right: the rendering doesn't work right with some fonts.

i've tested almost 20 fonts and about 8 of the didn't display correctly, the remaining 12 did. so this is the solution, i think.

The problem seems to be a "kerning" related issue, so maybe the problem starts with exporting a font to ttf. if this is not done by professionals, such crappy artifacts appear.

what do you think?
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

Maybe... try another method, i.e. sIFR ;)
(not a MOD just some js addition to your header, but displays ALL fonts ok, since it's a flash/js/css replacement method)
see @http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9253

Cheers
charliespeed

Post by charliespeed »

Awesome man!

Why didn't you came up earlier with this thing? :wink:

I give it a try (of course).

But let me warn you: maybe I come up with some other 2 or 3 questions.... :oops:

Ha, here is the first one:

you defined in you snippet to repalce alle the h* elements.
So you enter the information normaly within your CMS (e.g. the headline of an article) and the system recognizes, that this will be a h1-formated text and replaces the browser text with the correct formating (defined in sIFR.css) and the swf-font, right?

So I define all the stuff one time and do not have to think about it (like using RTs for the headline) any more? Just type my headlines normaly and the system does the rest?

Sorry for the bad english, but I am rather excited at the moment... :?