Development Help

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
ionrock

Development Help

Post by ionrock »

Hello All,

I wanted to let people know about a part of my site I am dedicating to phpwcms development. This is NOT an official part of phpwcms by any means but merely a place to help support phpwcms by contributing hacks you have made, themes, templates, tutorials and/or anything else that would help someone make phpwcms the best cms system for them.

The reason for this is so we can have a central place to find additions to phpwcms that are not really appropriate for the bulk of phpwcms users (ie Oliver has not put in b/c he doesn't see a need for it... yet :)). A couple examples would be something like a bulletin board add in or a calender add in which have both been discussed on the message board here. If you work on a good implementation of adding a bulletin board into phpwcms that you think others might be able to use easily then you can submit it so others can download it if they want to try and use it.

This will not be a place to say "I added a sweet bulletin board feature, {PHP:mybulletinboard.php}". This means that whatever feature you add should be included within the phpwcms admin area in a logical way so the cms will be seamless in appearance.

NOTICE: THESE WILL NOT BE ADDED TO PHPWCMS!!!

The point is to offer up the custom solutions you created for others to use and not to add new features to phpwcms. At the moment Oliver has that covered and has expressed that he has his plans for adding features and improvements that he will be doing. So if you make some sweet feature you think everyone and their brother will want, then submit it to me and see if people use it but do not think that it will be added to the official phpwcms project. Your hacks will be just that, hacks. Until Oliver is ready with documentation and a plan for how to contribute code then we can only consider these hacks for consideration in the future and not official add ins to the cms. Until then they will just be available for people to mess with and try out. No warranties or support. Just quick hacks to scratch an itch. I hope this is clear b/c it is merely meant to take the solutions developers have made and have a central place to make them public and not convolute or make phpwcms buggy. It is a like a piece of scratch paper and not the final copy. I hope I have made this clear.

If you do submit a feature patch it needs to have documentation on what files will need to be added and where. You will need to state explicitly how to update everything to make your feature work. It should be understood that the feature is to be applied to the main current version of phpwcms and not some hacked version you have created. You also need to give a description of what you did to make things work and the code should be commented to reflect this. This all meant to help foster a good developer community for when Oliver can make submissions organized and helpful rather than a pain. All submissions must be made known on the phpwcms messageboard so Oliver can know about it and can say "get that piece of crap off the Internet" or "hey this is really good and will be added to the next release" or "I don't care about whatever you are talking about". In other words Oliver has veto power about what will go up and just because it is available DOES NOT mean it is endorse by Oliver in any way.

I hope all this is clear and as I get things up a running we will make policies more specific. The main idea is to do what we can as a community to help out the community. The main focus is not getting your hack up as fast as possible but rather getting more familiar with the code so we can provide better support, tutorials and code to the main project. Please give me a message if you have any questions or comments and please understand that this is not Oliver's responsibilty so do not ask him about it make comments to him. If it becomes a problem in any way to Oliver it will be done so think before you act.

Lastly attitude is important so please make your best effort to help Oliver and the project as a whole before you help yourself. Write that tutorial and help that person in the support forum before taking weeks and weeks to add some feature. Documentation is key here so if you do something that you think would be helpful to the phpwcms in general, please write about it for the community as a whole.

I hope this can help to make phpwcms better and have an organized development community that Oliver can be proud of.

the url will be:

http://ionrock.umemusic.com/index.php?develphpwcms
AppleCider

Post by AppleCider »

Ionrock, what a great idea! I have your site bookmarked :)

I'm in the process of considering which CMS to use for my new site, and it looks like phpwcms has most of the features I'm looking for. I've looked over PHPNuke, PHPWebsite, PostNuke and Drupal, and have used pMachine on other sites.

Ah, the fun and frustrations of learning yet another new system! :D
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

I was in the same boat you are in. I wanted a cms which I could create general purpose sites with that the users could change the content on easily enough. The community cms systems would take way too long to play with to get anywhere with them. phpwcms has been really easy to hack on and add things I need.

I am working on making a plugin framework so people can make plugins without disturbing any files. This is so when Oliver makes a new release, people won't have to go through and add code to phpwcms.php or anything.

If you do anything special with it please let me know as I think it is definitly a benefit to the community if we can help make phpwcms customized to our needs with putting a burden on Oliver who is the driving force behind making phpwcms better in general. It also helps people get to know phpwcms better so when issues do arise for newbies and such, we can all help them more easily.
AppleCider

Post by AppleCider »

Hi, Ionrock :)

I'm not a coder; I'm a designer. I know CSS pretty well, so I'm looking into making my site (as my other sites are) strictly CSS tableless, so I'll be playing with that. But I'll definitely be looking at hacks on your site as a user, particularly the Blog add-on.
WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

If you come up with any cool themes please make them public. Themes are a great way to lets coders have nice sites (;)) and get your work out there as a designer. I will be putting themes on the site too so don't be shy :)
AppleCider

Post by AppleCider »

I'll definitely do that, once I've gotten this figured out and get my own site up! :lol:
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

hi AppleCider (or the cat too if you're reading this)

would you explain the tableless css to me a little as i am so dumb to design and code ;) (i'm just 3d artist with ideas above my ability)

As far as i can geuss you are saying that I wouldn't need to use tables in order have drop shadows and images ect, is this close to true? or do i missunderstand you completely?

http://www.tinytots.tvis made with tables and images - in your opinion are there better ways of doing these effects using .css ?

any advice is much apreciated.
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

@pSouper:

Just a tiny "heads-up"... if it wasn't intentional! With IE (6.0.2800.1106), I notice a stray ">" character in the upper left corner of http://www.tinytots.dyndns.tv/www/tinyt ... _songtime).
<script src="./phpwcms_template/inc_js/frontend.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./phpwcms_template/inc_css/frontend.css">
</head>
> <---------- Stray "greater than" symbol
<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%" align="center">
<tr>
<td colspan="3"><body
bgcolor="#AEB2C3" background="img/TinyTots%20Frontend/BG_Stripe.png" text="#000000" link="#000000" vlink="#000000" alink="#000000" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

hi Dexxus,
of course it was intentional - are you saying you don't like it? ;)

thanks for the tip - i'll fix that one - it has been taunting me for a week or so now :lol:
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

pSouper wrote:hi Dexxus,
of course it was intentional - are you saying you don't like it? ;)

thanks for the tip - i'll fix that one - it has been taunting me for a week or so now :lol:
I actually like it VERY much!!! It's proof that phpWCMS sites don't have to look similar like Nukes, etc. I only wish I was a tiny tot again. THOSE were the DAYS!!! Now I see why you are just a BIG KID!!! :lol:
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

hehe - i'm an older lid but missed out on the legs so am still not a big kid ;)

I have put a little debug in my head and header but the '>' is in neither so must be a code issue in phpwcms 'Hmmm'
it wouldn't surprise ma as i am one for hacks - it the only way to learn ;)
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

hehe - I’m an older lid but missed out on the legs so am still not a big kid ;)

I have put a little debug in my head and header but the '>' is in neither so must be a code issue in phpwcms 'Hmmm'
it wouldn't surprise ma as i am one for hacks - it the only way to learn ;)

- I notice lord of the rings got an Oscar for their special effects and they didn't even have any '>' in any there effects - I guess when budgets are tight the more ground breaking effects usually get dropped first.

Update - call of the dogs I've now have the '>' in custody. It is now awaiting trail by a 'style crimes' tribunal in Guantanamo bay.
(access to lawyers, family and the 'due legal process' is much over rated and wasted on these characters anyway )
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

Part of your forum signature... says it ALL:
pSouper's tagline wrote:Don't Listen to the message above, it is more than likely... able to endanger your life
LOL :wink: :roll: :lol: