levelsensitive navigation - 0.4 available

Post custom hacks and enhancements for phpwcms here only. Maybe some of these things will be included in official release later.
Willinger

Post by Willinger »

What I mean with semantics is that tables are meant for tabular data and not for navigation. A navigation is a list from where you choose where to go next, it is therefor to be represented by a list.
As for the aspect usability: just try reading a navigation that was realized inside a table in a text-based browser. It's nearly impossible. I don't want to add unnecessary hurdles or barriers for people with say a visual defects (pc?) who try browsing my web projects. So people with certain handicaps or those who don't browse the web with IE, Opera or Mozilla are what I was talkling about.

I'm sorry for the typo in my previous post: of course I meant to type semanTics
Timo S.

Post by Timo S. »

Hi Usta!

Das Script ist so weit echt Klasse und ich finde es sehr gut das Du auf IDs verzichtet hast! Es haben sich jetzt für mich folgende fragen in Bezug auf Dein Script ergeben, wo ich gerne Deinen Rt zu hätte:

1. Da ich verschiedene css-styles für die einzelnen Menus verwenden werde, würde ich dein Script um folgenden Punkt erweitern wollen: {NAV_LIST_SETLEVEL:class:back:0 :0 :1 :1}
Hast Du eine bessere Lösung, oder bediene ich das Script falsch?

2. Es könnte sein das ich anstelle von der Systemschrift doch Bitmapgrafiken verwenden muß. Ich würde Dein Script dann so umschreiben wollen, das es die einzelnen Menupunkte durch Grafiken aus einem bestimmt Ordner mit entsprechend referenzierten Namen liest.

Da fehlt mir allerdings noch die innovative idee der Umsetzung für die Namen der Grafiken... url(menu/1.gif), url(menu/1_2_1.gif), url(menu/1_1.gif) etc. ???

Vielleicht kannst mir kurz ein Statement dazu geben, was Du davon im allg. hällst?

Vielen Dank im voraus,

LG Timo.
MFG, Timo.
dreeders

Makes sense

Post by dreeders »

rtilghman wrote:Actually, that's not really an accurate assessment of the situation, and I don't think the difference you site supports your argument.

First IDs don't change. The only way they actually would change is if I went in, deleted a location, and recreated it with another location. Point blank I shouldn't be doing this; the locations and hierarchy I created initially should have been properly thought out and extensible.

Second "Alias" is, for the most part, no more stable or reliable than "ID" as a means of driving navigation or RTs. Yes, if I delete an article or a level that I rely on my navigation would fail to function. However, I wouldn't ever have navigation triggered by an arbitrary level, so the only level or article I could delete would be central to my entire site.

Finally, you seem to assume that changing any targeted navigation I use in my templates is difficult. Even on my current site, which uses 14 templates (yeah, don't ask, its a long story) it wouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes or so to go in and change the proper section of each one (since its identical).

As I said previously, I'm not questioning the value of your script as much as I'm trying to pull out the specific advantages it provides me. While I'm still foggy, I can see the value of a script that can always display the navigation from a given level down, regardless of the "pathway" the template is called within. Just one more step on my road to a single template website.

Best,
Rick
As I understand it, Usta wants to create an already-expanded navigation menu that shows all sections on the site even when you're viewing an article contained in a subsection.

I can't see any way to do that *automatically* using any of the core set of replacement tags. Instead you have to put in tags pointing to specific sections, so you end up with 14 templates, with navigation tags specific to the section for which each template was designed.

And I think that's what Usta was referring to when he said that article ID's can change. He doesn't mean they change and the tag breaks. He means he wants one tag that works regardless of what section or article the template is currently being used to display.

Synonym for changeable is DYNAMIC -- does that make a bit more sense? It's kinda pointless to be so fundamentalist about language when you're dealing with a forum where many people are not contributing in their first langugage! :?

Daniel
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Hi usta, :D

your script is a very very powerfull tool for advanced navigation. I think, moste users hasn´t grasped this kind of navigation called "Sensitive to level". :!: :!:

In my opinion one feature isn´t implemented: class delivery.
e.g. {NAV_LIST_SETLEVEL:back:#0 :#0 :#1 :#1:#class}

The flexibility of your script demanded this feature.

One question: Why the upper-level isn´t highlighted by selecting?

Gruß Knut
>> HowTo | DOCU | FAQ | TEMPLATES/DOCS << ( SITE )
usta

Post by usta »

@ timo, @ fli-flop
Timo S. wrote:Hi Usta!
1. Da ich verschiedene css-styles für die einzelnen Menus verwenden werde, würde ich dein Script um folgenden Punkt erweitern wollen: {NAV_LIST_SETLEVEL:class:back:0 :0 :1 :1}

2. Ich würde Dein Script dann so umschreiben wollen, das es die einzelnen Menupunkte durch Grafiken aus einem bestimmt Ordner mit entsprechend referenzierten Namen liest.
zu 1. (css): es ist schon möglich, das skript zu modifizieren, allerdings könntest du den RT auch in einen <div>-tag einbetten, und per css die verschiedenen stile adressieren.

Code: Select all

<div class="st1">  RT  </div>
bzw.
		<div class="st2">  RT </div>
etc. 
in .css:
		.st1 ul li {xy = z}
bzw.
		.st2 ul li a{xy = z} usw. usf.
ich halte diese lösung für sinnvoller, da sie
1. der cms-idee näher liegt
2. dynamischer ist, da einfache veränderungen nicht den php-code belasten
3. bei übertragen von stilen auf andere webseiten ein einfacheres anpassen ermöglicht

zu 2.: evtl kannst du einen java-basierten GT-Mod verwenden, oder shaun inmans sIfr. sIfr erfordert flash (nur auf deiner, nicht auf klientenseite) dagegen: java sollte ja jeder haben und so einen Mod gibts sogar für phpwcms.

class-feature: well, i think it's not a big deal, to embed the tag in a <div class="myClass"> and adress it with css (.myClass li a etc. see code-example). anyway: because of fli-flop's and timo's request i'll add this feature.

@ fli-flop no.2
"Why the upper-level isn´t highlighted by selecting?"
what the heck? I don't see your point.
:(
should i change the headline to "sensitive to level navigation" ??

@ dreeders
that's thought reading!!

:wink:
usta

Post by usta »

:css-thingy

done 8)
updating the docu took me longer than programming - D'oh!

:wink:
usta

Post by usta »

Willinger wrote:...
As for the aspect usability: just try reading a navigation that was realized inside a table in a text-based browser. It's nearly impossible. I don't want to add unnecessary hurdles or barriers for people with say a visual defects
neither want i. anyway i agree with your position, but a list-version will take some time; but i'll keep your concern in my mind.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Hi usta,

great work your implementation of farious classes.

My question:
@ fli-flop no.2
"Why the upper-level isn´t highlighted by selecting?"
what the heck? I don't see your point.
Sad
Often the first entry (uper-level) isn´t a back link.
By using your script in second level e.g. Home are an active page.
It dosn´t highlighted.

Example: Wrong version

<div id="nav_horiz1">
  <ul id="nav_horiz1_ul">
    <li id="nav_horiz1_parent"><a href="4.0.0.1.0.0.phtml" id="nav_horiz1_parent_link">My Home</a></li>
    <li><a href="page01.phtml">Page 01</a></li>
    <li><a href="page02.phtml">Page 02</a></li>
    <li><a href="page03.phtml">Page 03</a></li>
  </ul>
</div>
Example: Right version

<div id="nav_horiz1">
<ul id="nav_horiz1_ul">
    <li id="nav_horiz1_home_active"><a href="4.0.0.1.0.0.phtml" id="nav_horiz1_home_active_link" target="_top">My Home</a></li>
    <li><a href="page01.phtml" target="_top">Page 01</a></li>
    <li><a href="page02.phtml" target="_top">Page 02</a></li>
    <li><a href="page03.phtml" target="_top">Page 03</a></li>
  </ul>
</div>
Probably there are severel concepts. :?

Gruß Knut
>> HowTo | DOCU | FAQ | TEMPLATES/DOCS << ( SITE )
Willinger

Post by Willinger »

usta wrote:neither want i. anyway i agree with your position, but a list-version will take some time; but i'll keep your concern in my mind.
Perfect :D
usta

Post by usta »

fli-flop wrote:Often the first entry (uper-level) isn´t a back link.
By using your script in second level e.g. Home are an active page.
It dosn´t highlighted.
it's not supposed to highlight, because that'd mean you are inside the home-link when you're not. though you wish to individually design the look of the home link, there's the ..._parent id. you can easily address it with css:

with {NAV_LIST_SETLEVEL:Home:1:0:0:1:} it's:

source-code:

<div id="levelsensitive">
     <ul id="levelsensitive_ul">
        <li id="levelsensitive_parent"><a href="" id="levelsensitive_parent_link">01</a></li>
        <li id="levelsensitive_active"><a href="" id="levelsensitive_active_link">01_01</a></li>
        <li><a href="">01_02</a></li>
        <li><a href="">01_03</a></li>
     </ul>
  </div>
css:

#levelsensitive ul li #levelsensitive_parent {}
or
	ul li #levelsensitive_parent a{}
etc
cyrano

Post by cyrano »

hi usta,

installed your work and want to find out if it will showme structure like breadcrumb menue with all articles and structure levels linked.

does {NAV_LIST_SETLEVEL:Home:1:0:0:1:class} do this too?

didn't digged it out right...

if yes how to? and if not yet may be added?
would be really great.

thank you.
Gruß/ regards cyrano
--------------------------------------------------------
templates -> http://www.128.weitzelmedia.de
planepix -> http://www.planepix.de
XING -> https://www.xing.com/profile/Thomas_Weitzel3
usta

Post by usta »

cyrano wrote:installed your work and want to find out if it will showme structure like breadcrumb menue with all articles and structure levels linked.

does {NAV_LIST_SETLEVEL:Home:1:0:0:1:class} do this too?
what do you mean with "breadcrumb and all structure levels linked"??
:roll:
cyrano

Post by cyrano »

hi usta,

got a solution by pepe:

http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3624

thought can use your RT also for some solutiion....
Gruß/ regards cyrano
--------------------------------------------------------
templates -> http://www.128.weitzelmedia.de
planepix -> http://www.planepix.de
XING -> https://www.xing.com/profile/Thomas_Weitzel3
ptjones

HELP

Post by ptjones »

How Can I make it horizontal???????

It´s vertical.

I just need a horizontal 2nd Level Navigation, which is always here when
there is a 2nd level, otherwise not..