rebranding and removing the copyright

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
cguenther

Post by cguenther »

ACK
webwesen

Post by webwesen »

after reading TFM:

The only requirement is to leave the copyright notices in the source code.

so every phpWCMS trace may be removed from frontend/backend display without GPL violation.

leaving 'powered by phpWCMS' is a nice gesture though IMHO.
so be fair and at least include a clickable phpWCMS icon (with a link to Oliver's site)
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

I know the copywrite image in the bottom left of the backend is very close to olivers heart. he ask me specifically to ensure this image was included.
Oliver was noticed and pointed out ot me that although the link was there the image was 'missing in action'. While I was uploading a very slim version in order to debug an error.

my opinion on this matter is.. only small minded people need to claim and/or charge for work they have not the ability or honesty to create them selves. some companies expect only what the pay for. If you give them the options of a fully bespoke system or to an open scource script customised to meet thier specific needs, they will be fully able to make thier own minds up without the need for such rediculous deceptions by the prospective designers.
frold

Post by frold »

pSouper wrote: my opinion on this matter is.. only small minded people need to claim and/or charge for work they have not the ability or honesty to create them selves. some companies expect only what the pay for.
applause, standing ovation (the last thing is maybe a little to much :lol: )
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

I never say too much F :D
brans

Post by brans »

I think as long as you leave a link and an Icon back to phpwcms in the backend, its ok to change the backend's design. But sure if you sell anything that is open source I think you have to inform your clients about this. And ppl lets see, sooner or later all the bad guys out there will be caught and slammed down ;), hopefully...

After all: removing copyrights sucks! removing everything that leads back to olivers site is respectless and sucke even more! but removing both and selling wcms as you own coded product is the worst thing I ever heard of!

BUT! Customizing the backend's design and leaving one button at a central place is absolutely ok, I think...
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

selling wcms as you own coded product is the worst thing I ever heard of!
I can think of much worse things than this but not so many that did not involve a dozen babies, a huge pizza base and more grated italian cheese than any one company could possible supply ;)
snobba

Post by snobba »

Yep, some people are f..ked up! Living on others! And the sad thing is that there nothing we can do about it. Been like this for ages :( .

I have heard sites that have violated the GNU that have been flamed because of it and that is ofcourse totally unfair to the business that bought the site, they most likely don't have any knowledge of it...Nobody wins..

The only thing we can do here is to keep track on the forum and defenetly not help anyone with sites without copyright..

Personally I think it is a great marketing oppertunity when I pitch to say that we are using a free CMS and the benefits for it..Mainly pricebenefits (can't start talking about this fantasic forum to the customer! :D )

I do not know if this is the right thing to do but can't we have some kind of blacklist or something?

/ Martin
frold

Post by frold »

snobba wrote: I do not know if this is the right thing to do but can't we have some kind of blacklist or something?

/ Martin
Do you have someone to put on it?
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

:)
snobba

Post by snobba »

frold wrote:Do you have someone to put on it?
Yeep
frold

Post by frold »

snobba wrote:
frold wrote:Do you have someone to put on it?
Yeep
Well, instead of a "black-list" I think you should sent a email to OG with a link...
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello
Last edited by Pappnase on Sat 8. May 2004, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
basilius

Post by basilius »

pappnase, dein englisch ist wirklich miserabel Image
frold

Post by frold »

basilius wrote:pappnase, dein englisch ist wirklich miserabel Image
And your point is it even more´...