Future of phpwcms - 1.3 is planned

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
Hero

Re: Future of phpwcms - 1.3 is planned

Post by Hero »

Within the next weeks not months a consolidated release of phpwcms will be published.
And again... OG, please STOP making promisses if you are not going to keep them!
jscholtysik

Post by jscholtysik »

And again,

please STOP to nail OG to release a new version as fast as you want it... ;-) OG also has a private life and also a job to do...

Everybody always wants a roadmap and when a date can't be hold, everybody cries... :-(

Give OG the time he needs, when then a stable and secure release comes out, everybody will be happy, believe me!

Joachim
Hero

Post by Hero »

did I? No I just said that I'm frustrated of breaking promisses all the time.
bartve

Post by bartve »

Hero wrote:did I? No I just said that I'm frustrated of breaking promisses all the time.
I second that, almost entirely (personally I'm not frustrated, only a bit sad ... ;-). It really doesn't matter to me if it takes 2 days, 2 months or even 2 years to release the next major update (2.0?) but some transparancy and information on what is to be expected and something that resembles a time frame would be very helpful ....
DeXXus

Re: Future of phpwcms - 1.3 is planned

Post by DeXXus »

Hero wrote:ok, weeks are over, months come pretty close again...
Hero wrote:
Within the next weeks not months a consolidated release of phpwcms will be published.
And again... OG, please STOP making promisses if you are not going to keep them!
As long as you realize and accept that you have no automatic -entitlement- (you are not -owed- anything) then you are in the right to inquire, question and comment about promises made.

Don't let these "apologist" lemmings drive your reactions, though.
WHY... you ask? Because:

1. They obviously have an opinion, but believe you are not entitiled to yours.
2. They do not know -=JACK=- about the man, his job, the roadmap, etc.
3. They seemingly cannot be objective in their considerations, anyway.

So don't waste a lot of time responding to anyone who is not meaningful to the matter at hand. :wink:
jscholtysik

Post by jscholtysik »

Hi Dexxus,

I think, we all here in this forum except Pappnase and OG himself have nearly the same standard of knowledge concerning roadmaps, plans etc.
and we are all not meaningful for this project until now... ;-)

Joachim
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

I'm not sure of what you are trying to say in your last post, but I believe you have OVERestimated what Pappnase is allowed to know and the influence he has upon ANYTHING to do with this script. He just "toils on" ADMIRABLY... despite being "in the dark". :wink:

However, in your post that was previous to this one... you make several OVERsights:

1. THIS section of the support forum would seem to be the appropriate place for a discussion LIKE this. So why try to suppress it?
2. You wrongly accuse the poster (Hero) of trying to enforce an unreasonable time frame -or- one pulled from "thin air"... NOT true!
3. You imply that people are crybabies if they assume (expect?) the words of the author to MEAN something?

Understand your loyalty and support for continued development, but don't presume to know, understand, speak for, or anticipate anything... except what you ACTUALLY know.

That is what Hero did! He knew what was said, understood that to mean something, spoke about what he knew and how he understood it and then anticipated either explanation, feedback or update. Sound reasonable?

That leaves only Oliver G and what he chooses to say (post). :roll:
jscholtysik

Post by jscholtysik »

Hi Dexxus,

I can understand OG when he says that he is not willing to release roadmaps. There are some people who always nag when dates can't be hold. But OG is only a human being!! And we should respect or at least accept his opinion when he says that he don't want to build a team for development yet.

I don't think Pappnase has some influence on this project concerning programming. But I know that he has more information than we have and he is always in permanent contact with OG... ;-)

To 1.
I don't try to suppress other's opinion or discussion, I only want to discuss also with these people. But here in this forum are some people who try only to grab all and give nothing back to the community. I try to help Pappnase with the documentation of phpwcms at least, but other people only grab and grab and that is annoying a little bit... :-(

To 2.
There were some security problems within phpwcms as your surely have noticed. Perhaps without these security problems we would have received a new release earlier. But OG has eliminated the bugs and also published a final 1.2.6. Isn't that enough for now?

To 3.
I don't imply anything, but I only believe that a new release is out when it is out. I'm a realist, not a dreamer! I don't believe all what I hear or read!

I don't cry for a new release for the sake of something, when I do not need any new function of the new release. I do not need new versions only for being actual... Hero did not say that a new release would be his life saver because in there would be a new function that he badly needs... ;-)

I only know as much as you, not more or less about the new release.

So why mangle each other?

We can't change OG's opinion and have to wait until the new version is out, but without any pressure against OG... :-(

Joachim
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

Hero wrote:did I? No I just said that I'm frustrated of breaking promisses all the time.
hello yes you do! :-)
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

bartve wrote:
I second that, almost entirely (personally I'm not frustrated, only a bit sad ... ;-). It really doesn't matter to me if it takes 2 days, 2 months or even 2 years to release the next major update (2.0?) but some transparancy and information on what is to be expected and something that resembles a time frame would be very helpful ....
hello bartev

nice words you choose. but i need to say see it from an other sight. you're not that long in the forum. in the beginning oliver publish things he wanne implement . the result was oliver could you also make this, oliver could also make that. oliver how would it look can you show something. also oliver was written in an older thread that he will not offer release dates anymore.

so what would you do!? :-)
Pauli

Post by Pauli »

ah well, the last versions are running smoothly, and beautiful websites are built with it. You shouldn't wait for a final versions imo. Start your engines and build, create (& get paid). :wink:
Hero

Post by Hero »

Pappnase wrote:
hello yes you do! :-)
Where? Please give me a quote!
For myselfe I work a lot in Non Profit Organisations and we got one golden rule:
You dont' have to do a thing, but when you say you are goin to do it you are are responsible that it gets done in time (the time you said you are willing to do it).

btw, I don't understand that smily
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

All my respects to you ...all.

Opinions are opinions, facts are facts. (wow, I'm quite inspired, u can call me Shakespeare :D

Fact: we have a beautifull CMS, we all love it (or else... walk ;)
Fact: dev by OG has been slow, he aknowledges that and even -without having to- apologized for it.
Fact: OG will continue dev phpwcms
Fact: a lot of us are willing to help

Opinion: roadmap is good
Opinion: teamwork is good
Opinion: dev has to be organized

My 2 cents... ;)
Cheers
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

Kosse wrote:All my respects to you ...all.

Opinions are opinions, facts are facts. (wow, I'm quite inspired, u can call me Shakespeare :D

Fact: we have a beautifull CMS, we all love it (or else... walk ;)
Fact: dev by OG has been slow, he aknowledges that and even -without having to- apologized for it.
Fact: OG will continue dev phpwcms
Fact: a lot of us are willing to help

Opinion: roadmap is good
Opinion: teamwork is good
Opinion: dev has to be organized

My 2 cents... ;)
Cheers
FULL ACK, Shakespeare :wink:
ParaDroid

knquadrat edv + marketing
http://www.knquadrat.de

phpWCMS Dokumentation | Deutsch | English
bartve

Post by bartve »

Pappnase wrote:
bartve wrote:
hello bartev

nice words you choose. but i need to say see it from an other sight. you're not that long in the forum. in the beginning oliver publish things he wanne implement . the result was oliver could you also make this, oliver could also make that. oliver how would it look can you show something. also oliver was written in an older thread that he will not offer release dates anymore.

so what would you do!? :-)
As someone who is only grabbing and not giving back I would like to share my personal views on phpwcms and the way things are going, just to put things into perspective (the grabbing/not giving remarks were made by someone else, not by Pappnase who is quoted above).
First a little Christmas story: I 'discovered' phpwcms almost 3 years ago, when I was looking for an opensource php/mysql cms. The months before I had struggled with typo3, which I installed with a lot of trouble and after that I couldn't get started with typo3, just to complex to work with.
So I was very happy when I found phpwcms: it installed very easily and I was able to get something online without to much of an hassle. After the first experiments (which costed me a couple of hours) I thought: this is good, I'm going to put some effort and much more time into this and really learn how this thing works. But just at the same time v 2.0 was announced and should be released about 2 months later around Christmas (IIRC). Do you remember that infamous Christmas period?
For me it was logical to wait for the new release before I would do anything more with phpwcms: it would be a waste of time and effort to really learn to work with a almost old version when a major new release was just around the corner.
Christmas came and we al know what happened: not very much. The 2.0 version of phpwcms was not released. But it was also not cancelled: if I remember it right the new version has ever since been 'just around the corner'. And I got stuck in a strange position: why invest in an old version when the completely new and redesigned version is going to be released within a couple of weeks, a month at the most. And before I knew it 2 years had passed with me waiting for the new release (don't worry, I had plenty of other things to do ;-)).
So there you are: if OG just had called the new version off 2.5 years ago, I just would have started with the then stable version (1.?.?) and I would now be a phpwcms expert ;-) But he didn't, and what was worse: he didn't share almost nothing in the area of information (roadmap!) with the community, but so once in a while he posted something on the forums or changed something on the frontpage of http://www.phpwcms.com which made me think that the release of version 2.0 was near ... and I'm still waiting.
So I hope this little personal phpwcms history clarifies a bit why I post a message once in a while asking for news on the new release. Mind you: I'm only asking for news and information, not for the release itself! And again, I don't mind at all if 2.0 is released next week, next month or next year, as long as something that resembles a roadmap is published. I understand that the hard part for a developer of publishing a roadmap is that you have to stick to it, but hey: if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen ;->
And about the grabbing/not giving thing: all members of an opensource community have their own distinct role. Some members develop, others contribute in another way (write manuals, moderate forums, etc) and some (many?) are just users. But 'only' being a user doesn't suspend the right to post in the forums and ask for information, as long as it is done nicely and with respect to others. And that is something what I always try to do. The grabbing/not giving remark (and similar remarks) is not very nice and doesn't show much respect to users who are full members of this particular opensource community, so in my personal and humble opinion that remark is way out of line.