image names

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
seo-105

image names

Post by seo-105 »

Hi guys:

I've just discovered that I can get pics from my filemanager to show up on my index page if I create paths to the phpwcms_filestorage/1/gibberish.png

My question: Is there any easy way to figure out which pic I originally loaded into the file manager is associated with which newly reassigned name.

Right now all I can think to do is download the "1" file, and use PSP to open the images as thumbnails.

I must be missing something, is there an easier way to do this???

TIA
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

you better load you pics to the picture folder and call them on the index page via the image replacement tag!
{IMAGE:name.ext}
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

The other option would be to use the image content types. I think by looking for the file in the filesystem you are disabling an important distinction between images for the design and images as content. Just my two cents.You should be able browse your content directories also since there is no index page so that would be one way to find the pic you want if you really want to. Just my two cents :)

BTW I really like this distinction between design images and content images because this allows an unsaid level of security from content creators to website designers. Once again just my two cents.
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello ion

i wasn't finish with my thread!*smile* only had to save it while i get an telephone call!*smile*
seo-105

Post by seo-105 »

OK from what I can understand from the documentation and the posts in the forum, you have 2 options to load and access images.

#1 FTP the images to your picture directory and use the handy {IMAGE} tag to position the image. This is used for quickly placing imges in articles with no requirement to do it precisely. In other words the image is either on the left side of the page or right..etc. No tables required.

#2 Use the file manager to upload your pics and then look at the thunbnails and give them permission status by turning the red buttons green. Also insure your directories are properly chmodded. This option is good when placing pics in tables and you just want to create a path to the image and write some code.

My problem is that once you use option #2 you have to dig into the phpwcms_filestorage/1/ directory to id the new name of the pic and get an accurate path so that it will appear on your website. Unless there is an alternative path that I'm not aware of this seems like a very labor intensive procedure. Perhaps I'm missing the underlying idea between the two procedures??
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

You should never link a file to filestorage/ID/1_1234.xxx

images are stored (resized or copied) under content/image automatically when you have selected via Image/wText or Images or E-Card.

Test it!

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

personally I always use the images from content/images/gibberish.png even for my {IMAGE:} tags. It is a little pain with the new filenames for me it proves a good way to minimise the footprint of my site as i only have 130mb space and a lot of big images.

I may even even have to consider hosting my filestorage folder on my home server and changing the path accordingly.
seo-105

Where do I select these options

Post by seo-105 »

Oliver stated,

"images are stored (resized or copied) under content/image automatically when you have selected via Image/wText or Images or E-Card. "

Can someone direct me to the page that has these options available. I can't seem to locate anywhere in the backend the options, "Image/wText", "Images", or "E-Card". Perhaps I have an incomplete download?
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

Goto articles,

Select the [+] at the end of HOME in the list.

Create and save the article.

When you have the listing for that article you will see a select menu from which you can choose a content part.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
seo-105

Thanks!

Post by seo-105 »

Thank you everyone!

I can now store pics in the picture directory (for special tags), the file manager (to track them), the articles section (to access the file mgr images), and as a last resort, FTP them into one of the 12 subdirectories located under the img directory(perhaps created for template artwork?)

ciao