empty/blank index.php

Please post all install related problems here. Visit this forum first for troubleshooting.
sheryco

empty/blank index.php

Post by sheryco »

I'm having trouble that i cannot put my finger on.
Everything seem to be installed clean and I got all the green light okay for the permissions of the necessary folders. The thing is that once i login using the new admin login and password i cannot get any further and when i try bypassing directly to an index.php file i get a blank page.
Any ideas or what am i doing wrong.
Thank you

Running OpenBSD3.4 , Apache1.3 MySQL3.23. on a 100MHZ DELL Latitude
Laptop 32MB 1.5GB Still Running Faster than 1.5Ghz WinXP Machine :evil:
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

please check if your conf.inc.php if you have a slash on the end of the domain in this line

Code: Select all

// site values 
$phpwcms["site"]              = "http://www.domain.com[b]/[/b]";
thode

hi sheryco i ahve exactly the same problem

Post by thode »

welcome to the club. i have slash at the end of site, i tried 127.0.01 instead of localhost nothing happens :cry:
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

If I am understanding right then after you do the login page you are given the login page again and if you try index.php you get nothing.

I had a problem with making sure session cookies can be used for php in the php.ini. There was no cookie being created server side so after the login script checks the username/password it logs you as in but since there is no cookie for the variables on the server side, the admin index page (phpwcms.php) will think you need to login and send you back to the login page.

Since you have no template or any content you will get a blank page for the index.php page.

I hope this helps.
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

Perhaps the method in this thread will help?

http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1645#1645
argos

Post by argos »

I got the same problem. Just installed everything and when I visit my domain, I just see a blank page. When I go to http://www.mydomain.com/login.php I can log in fine, so that's no problem.
Regards,
Jurgen Nijhuis
http://www.argosmedia.nl
Jan212

Post by Jan212 »

But you allready have created a page layout, template and articles?
Regards/ Grüsse/ Groetjes - JAN212
------------------------------------------------
null212 - Büro für Kommunikation und Design
Lyrikfetzen des Tages
1. Ist der Quelltext auch valide fragt Herr Müller ganz perfide.
2. Wat is dat een lekker ding.
3. Wer Vision hat soll zum Arzt gehen.
argos

Post by argos »

Jan212 wrote:But you allready have created a page layout, template and articles?
I thought thaere would be some basic framework and design, like other cms have. I created a test article and that shows up on the front page now: http://www.argosmedia.nl

I guess I have to study a bit more to see how to create a site around it. I just didn't expect to begin with a completely blank page :-)

Isn't there a standard layout ready for use??
Regards,
Jurgen Nijhuis
sheryco

Post by sheryco »

Hey me again i 've tried all suggestion that was
-checked the conf.inc.php file for the [site] / 's still nothing
-checked the php.ini file for the cookie thing and activated it still nothing
-checked the link suggested but to no avail

I also checked my permissions for the index.php changed them from 444 to 644 755 777 still nothing but a blank page. So I thought it might actually be a blank page after opening it in a text editor I find it is not empty but full of code.
So far When i pull up my site i get the default page good so far - which then go to the login page good so far. - When click on the index.php link i still get a blank page and when I click on the login link i get the login page which is fine but when i enter the administrator's account username & password, it accepts it but remains stagnant no activity after that. it just indicates i have logged it and that's that.

I just need to know what it is I'm missing or what i'm doing wrong and what exactly i need to do.

By the way thanks to all who came to my rescue i appreciate the time taken to help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BLowFish 3.4 Oorraahh!
argos

Post by argos »

Well, I'm on my way. Studying all info on this forum and on the cms website now... I think I will succeed. Thanks for now.
Regards,
Jurgen Nijhuis
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

sheryco wrote:I also checked my permissions for the index.php changed them from 444 to 644 755 777 still nothing but a blank page.
If you had to do this then you most likely have ~more~ files that are 444. Different FTP clients handle permissons of "uploaded" files differently (even webhosts default different permissions, sometimes). If so, you best start checking permissions as per:
http://www.phpwcms.de/index.php?id=10,0,0,1,0,0
check access rights for special files and folders.

1) DIR phpwcms_tmp/thumb_list 777
2) DIR phpwcms_tmp/thumb_preview 777
3) DIR phpwcms_ftp 766
4) DIR phpwcms_filestorage 777
5) DIR content/images 777

6) FILE setup/setup.conf.inc.php 666
7) FILE phpwcms_template/inc_css/frontend.css 666
8) FILE include/inc_conf/conf.pagelayout.inc.php 666

All other files listed above can be set to 644, directories to 755. Sometimes it can help to set mode to 766 for the following directories: phpwcms_tmp, phpwcms_template, phpwcms_ftptakeover, inc_css, content. If you have further access problems try to set all files and directories to 777 (not recommend).
ionrock

Post by ionrock »

To add to DeXXus' comment, sometimes it takes more than just the directory to be 777 or 755 but rather that directory and those below it.

I needed to make the phpwcms_filestorage 777 as well as the directories below it so I actually needed chmod -R (for recursive) 777 phpwcms_filestorage/

I found this to be a similar issue with the css in that the include/inc_css/ files all needed to be 666 and not 644.

Maybe that will help.
sheryco

Post by sheryco »

Does issue of blank pages deal with php.ini file or is it a mysql issue.
Just trying to throw some ideas. Since i don't have control of my php.ini file
I have not researched on it yet. Has anyone checked it out.
BLOWFISH 3.4 OORRAAH!!
DAEMONDOG
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

sheryco wrote:Does issue of blank pages deal with php.ini file or is it a mysql issue.
Just trying to throw some ideas. Since i don't have control of my php.ini file
I have not researched on it yet. Has anyone checked it out.
If you are talking about this, that you said:
sheryco wrote:when i try bypassing directly to an index.php file i get a blank page.
That... is because of what ionrock and Jan212 said above:
ionrock wrote:Since you have no template or any content you will get a blank page for the index.php page.
Jan212 wrote:But you allready have created a page layout, template and articles?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You first said:
sheryco wrote:Everything seem to be installed clean and I got all the green light okay for the permissions of the necessary folders.
Just wanted to clarify that the green light does ~not~ have anything to do with "permissions". It is simply telling you that you have filled out all the appropriate configuration data and in an "acceptable format" for phpWCMS to proceed with the setup (sort of like "input validation").

Then you said:
sheryco wrote:The thing is that once i login using the new admin login and password i cannot get any further
What you should probably do is post the contents of your "config.inc.php"(minus user/password) and let us have a look :wink:
sheryco

Post by sheryco »

Hey I got the blank page thing in control for now.
I think the cure to blank pages after installation is permission if I not wrong.
Okay another problem i'm not quiet sure if it an installation or general support. Anyway here goes. Installation goes well until after the admin login.
I get in alright only to click on either the articles, admin or even logout links i'm taken baclk to the admin login page again.
Now i getting increasingly confused on this cms how many errors will i go through to get the whole thing working. Don't get me wrong i see the potential of the phpwcms.
Help me out here.
Thank you all for all help provided.
BLOWFISH 3.4 OORRAAH!!
DAEMONDOG