when i click edit article i get a blank page

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
rushclub

when i click edit article i get a blank page

Post by rushclub »

hi there,

i am new to phpwcms and have installed it under osx. i am runnin safari is my default browser. now when i insert a new article i get a white page after submit. i still can see the navigation but the content part is empty. what i am doin wrong?

thanks for help :)
cheers
bernd
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

Maybe check your path settings. This is often the problem.
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
rushclub

thanks

Post by rushclub »

that was it. i ahve replaced http://powerbook.local/ with 127.0.0.1 and now it works :))

cheers
bernd
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

you can also use "http://localhost/"

Oliver
Syrsa

Post by Syrsa »

Oliver Georgi wrote:you can also use "http://localhost/"

Oliver
Tried it (changed the value of $phpwcms["site"] to http://localhost/ in the file include/inc_conf/config.inc.php) but the result is still the same.
Are there any other paths that coudl be troublesome? I use all the default values and everything except editing articles seems to work.
schmidti83

Post by schmidti83 »

Check your PHP Settings:
save_mode On or Off?

check with info.php in phpwcms
Syrsa

Post by Syrsa »

schmidti83 wrote:Check your PHP Settings:
save_mode On or Off?
Thanks for the tip. However, I've tried both safe_mode =on and safe_mode=off. Same result.
The thing is, the previous release of phpwcms still works. It is only the latest release that is not functioning.
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

I think you should try setting the server_root within default.inc.php to your physical drive path...
eg.

Code: Select all

define ("PHPWCMS_ROOT", "D:\wwwroot".(($phpwcms["root"]) ? "/".$phpwcms["root"] : "") );   // DOCUMENT_ROOT + phpwcms directory
that fixed it for me.
I also had an additional but simmiler problem where I just commented out the the loading of SPAW from inc_tmpl/article.new.tmpl.php
(inly until i try and work out why any code below this point is not read: more than likely a syntax error )

//load spaw editor
		/*
		case 4: include(PHPWCMS_ROOT."/include/inc_ext/spaw/spaw_control.class.php") ;
				$sw = new SPAW_Wysiwyg( 'article_summary',
							$article_summary,
							$_SESSION["wcs_user_lang"],
							'article_summary',
							'default',
							'440px',
							'400px'
							);
				$sw->show();
				break;
				*/
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

No No No - never change the doc root hardcoded anywhere else than in conf.inc.php.

If you think this is your problem add in conf.inc.php:

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] = "mypath". AND never use the backslash \ for paths on Windows. PHP works very well with "/" like: "C:/mypath"...

Oliver
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

:cry: don't tell me to 'not change the default.inc.php' Oliver - this is my standard reply, my 'catchphrase', my only friend,
I was thingking of using it as my signature.
:lol:
Syrsa

Post by Syrsa »

Got it!

I went through my old installation and compared with the new fresh one. It turned out that I had to do the following changes:

in include/inc_lib/default.inc.php:
1. Change the real path to use the physical path instead of using the $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] :
from

define ("PHPWCMS_ROOT", preg_replace('/\/$/', '', $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']).(($phpwcms["root"]) ? "/".$phpwcms["root"] : "") );   // DOCUMENT_ROOT + phpwcms directory
to

define ("PHPWCMS_ROOT", preg_replace('/\/$/', '', "/Users/my_username/Sites/phpwcms").(($phpwcms["root"]) ? "/".$phpwcms["root"] : "") );   // DOCUMENT_ROOT + phpwcms directory
in include/inc_conf/cinf.inc.php:
2. Change the site variable from

$phpwcms["site"]              = "http://localhost/";
to

$phpwcms["site"]   = "http://mypowerbook.local/~my_username/phpwcms/";
3. Change the root from

$phpwcms["root"]         		= "~my_username/phpwcms";
to

$phpwcms["root"]         		= "";       
Now I can finally edit my articles!
Syrsa

Post by Syrsa »

Oliver Georgi wrote:No No No - never change the doc root hardcoded anywhere else than in conf.inc.php.

If you think this is your problem add in conf.inc.php:

$_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] = "mypath". AND never use the backslash \ for paths on Windows. PHP works very well with "/" like: "C:/mypath"...

Oliver
I agree Oliver, I don't like to fiddle with the config files unless I am forced to. Your suggested work-around above works fine for me at least. It is however a bit worrying that $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] is not working. Maybe this is the case in all standard installatations of Apache on Mac OS X?
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

my faith in my catchphrase is restored ;)
I shall however amend this to defining the server root with inc.config.php
(I think this sound funnier too :lol: )
cmslover

Post by cmslover »

I installed fresh ver.02-20-04 and the patch, I like the new Spaw editor very much as it allows me to upload image directly from my computer, plus I can freely scale image and design layout. Now my problem is just like so many other users that is when I click edit article it's just blank, empty as if nothing there. I 've been searching all over the forum, follow all posts and tried all suggesstion but none of them work with mine.

I even replaced the inc-tmpl/article.new.tmpl from the older version file , chose 1 or 2 in conf.inc wysiwyg line but no matter what the spaw editor is still there , uneditable.

It's really frustrated.

Beside going back installing the older version, do you have any idea?

My system: FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE #0: server: Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.7c FrontPage/5.0.2.2510 PHP/4.3.4 mod_throttle/3.1.2
php: v4.3.4
Browse: IE 6.0.260

P.S I'm sorry for keeping posting the same question. I like phpwcm, I really want to make it to work. Thank you all!
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

hi cmslover,
I hardcode the path to directly in my conf.inc.php like so....

define ("PHPWCMS_ROOT","d:\myWebRootFolder/".$phpwcms["root"]) ;
directly after the line..

$phpwcms["root"]         		= "myPHPwcmsFolder";         //default: ""
this stops that exact same problem for me (as you can see from my signature line, my setup IS very different to you though. not to self: always give yourself an out when offering advice ;) )

--edit-- oops, I've just ead a few lines back and realised that I have just reworded the exact same advice :oops:
Last edited by pSouper on Fri 5. Mar 2004, 09:35, edited 2 times in total.