3 columns - horizontal menu - 2 layouts/templates?

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
webwide

3 columns - horizontal menu - 2 layouts/templates?

Post by webwide »

I am trying to figure out if this software will do what I am attempting. So far it looks good. I want a menu of tabs across the top, possibly two rows. Depending on which tab (topic) you click the initial page will have three even columns, one for each article (three different contributors per topic). Each article column will have an intro (and possibly visitor comment intros). If you click any one column the second page layout will have the entire article for that editor/contributor followed by comments.

From my initial observations it appears that phpwcms will allow for that with a combination of page layouts and templates. Am I asking too much? Too complicated for phpwcms?
Glenn Dixon
webwide

no go

Post by webwide »

OK, I think I answered my own question. Let's say three editors all entered articles. How would each editor direct his articles to a different column?

Well, he wouldn't. That's the problem. phpwcms seems to assume that all content will go in just one column.

Oh well, had fun playing with the software, maybe I'll use it on another site sometime!
Glenn Dixon
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

how much code do you know?
you are able to achieve this with a small amount of code and the {php:} replacement tag.

maybe if you post an image/screenshot/link of the layout you are looking for.
after all images speak a thousand words - and in most know langauges too (including welsh ;) )
webwide

Post by webwide »

pSouper wrote:how much code do you know?
you are able to achieve this with a small amount of code and the {php:} replacement tag.
I know ASP/VBScript but I'm a php newbie. I think I could handle it if it didn't involve over 250 lines of code. :)
maybe if you post an image/screenshot/link of the layout you are looking for.
after all images speak a thousand words - and in most know langauges too (including welsh ;) )
Just 3 columns, that's all. Instead of having the navigation in the left column I want an article there. But the article in each column will be on the same topic. Click the "John Kerry" tab and you'll see three columns with each column containing a different article summary on John Kerry. Click on that column and you'll see the article details.

*sigh*

http://threepundits.com
Glenn Dixon
webwide

like this...

Post by webwide »

pSouper, this discussion seems to be about what I am attempting to do, place content in any of three columns, not just the main one...

http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670
Glenn Dixon
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

very well explained, I think about it. I do hope others will too though ;)

on first thought's I'd think templates & {content} would be handy.
ionrock

No simple answer

Post by ionrock »

I think there is not really a simple answer to this issue. I would think it would be best to write something to include into each column or not use the page layout functionality and just the template get the content you want. You could do something like have a frameset (just a gross example) to contain different authors pages. In any sense I think you will find that it is possible to do whatever you would like to do with phpwcms it just is a matter of whether it is worth it do it. I know I am finding that customizing things is kind of tough while at the same time the end result is becoming very nice looking so in my case it is worth it. People who will update the site will have a very nice inteface that looks professional and clean and they will use most of the funtionality of the cms. Of course if I was wanting some sort newspaper type functionality maybe this is not the best medium but there is no reason it can't be. In other words maybe thing of using phpwcms not as a premade cms but rather a framework for creating an ultra powerful custom cms. Good luck and if you need any specific help writing add-ins please let me know as I am trying to find a consistant way to make additions to phpwcms without destroying what is already there :)
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

I am trying to find a consistant way to make additions to phpwcms without destroying what is already there
almost a throw -away line by ionrock but a very sought after ability.
were.
I think most feature requests could be implemented by others than by Oliver but for the 'lack of' or unclear ways to have these mods implemented 'full-time' as it were.

we mustn't underestimate the power of the {php:} tag. I think {php:} is a bit misnoma as it covers so much more besides php.[/quote]
habi

Post by habi »

could this help?:

a check box at every article in the admin to determine if you would place it in the left, main or right part
then in the template you can insert {content} in all columns and the cms pick up the correct content based on the flag
webwide

Post by webwide »

I'm not much of a programmer but that certainly sounds reasonable! :)
habi wrote:could this help?:

a check box at every article in the admin to determine if you would place it in the left, main or right part
then in the template you can insert {content} in all columns and the cms pick up the correct content based on the flag
Glenn Dixon
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

I was thinking of a far more generic approach, somthing along the lines of a counterpart/replacement tag that would create and inster a database table displaying all the given tables from a give database.
this solution has a million aplications that would of course also include the content of an article as this is a databas field too ;)
this would also solve the 'gallery' requests etc. This counterpart would also include a dropdownlist/radiobuttons to select the Sort options (alpha-numeric, date, files size, random') with a reverse order checkbox. all this would offer the posibility of a 'tip/qoute/pic/sound of the day' in fact 'anything' of the day, frequent user list... I can't be bothered to think of any more so I'll let you guys think of what you would use it for ;)

as always, I'm to busy to even start this but I'm sure I could hack something to gether starting in a few weeks time, but not before :(.

and if Oliver is watching, I'd be asking for 'per structure permitions' before I askk for this ;)