Article Menu in -> left

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
TheLemming

Article Menu in -> left

Post by TheLemming »

Hi,
I'm pretty new to phpwcms - and I think it's great - the whole system works really nice and pretty easy. I was just wondering if it's possible to include the article menu in the template of "left" - so I don't have to create the articles over and again with the menu.

many thanks in advance ;)

TL
pepe

Post by pepe »

Have you tried the Replacement Tag:

{NAV_TABLE_COLUMN}

in the left field of the template???
TheLemming

Post by TheLemming »

yes, I have this tag, too

but this one only shows categories (for me)
I would like to display articles, too

you can see the result here:

http://www.lemmi.at is the homepage
http://www.lemmi.at/index.php?id=8,0,0,1,0,0 is a page without specifically integrated article menu

I would like a display of articles on the left side - as it's an easy way to implement a good navigation to articles on one topic.
pepe

Post by pepe »

Hi the Lemming,

1. Normally the categorie is only the "container" for an article :!:

2. The navigation shows only your categories!

So:

Put each article into his own container (category) and you will have, what you want :wink:
That's the way, to use this system :idea:

Most sites, you will find here, are made this way.
TheLemming

Post by TheLemming »

Hi Pepe,
ah I see - I was wondering why I could create more articles within one container - therefore I created more in one or two categories.

thanks a lot for the comment
I think I'll use your advice and create one category per article.

have a nice weekend mate.
brans

Post by brans »

you could also do the following:

create a template with:

{LEFT} where your navigation is supposed to appear (this is for VERY small sites only!) and then just add a sitemap and style it the way you like in each article.
tomoh

Post by tomoh »

Hallo TheLemming!

You´re in the same thoughts as I am. Have a number of articles within a category and show them in a menu. This is because I don´t want any user to have adminrights and be able to mess around with the layout, templets and so on. Just letting them create/edit articles. I´ve solved it this way: The left menu is mainmenu showing the excisting categorys like {NAV_TABLE_COLUMN}. 1 templet for each category that has an alias like "sub1". In the main-section of the templet I use the {TEASER:alias} replacement tag with a css-class to it . Each category has the "top article count" set to -1. The result of this is a indexlike first page with a menu in the top with links to all articles in category "sub1". Next category has an alias "sub2" and so on.....
It work´s great in my way of getting a clean way of navigation without users have to be admin!

Greatings
Tomoh
update

Post by update »

Hello Lemming

for me it worked like this:

try to invent a new "content_everywhere" (e.g. MY_ARTICLE_LIST), define it to appear at the left (right or anywhere you want) side.
In your article you insert a new content part <Content Part "Artikelmenü"> and tell it to show up in MY_ARTICLE_LIST...
More elegant: new template for the specific category...

The result will be a list appearing on each page (article) of those articles contained in that cat......

Greetings
Claus