Requirements not compatible with Redhat 7.3

Please post all install related problems here. Visit this forum first for troubleshooting.
jcortina

Requirements not compatible with Redhat 7.3

Post by jcortina »

Hello, I am completely new to phpwcms and want to give it a try. First problem I encountered was the required ImageMagic and GhostScript. FYI the server in question is a RedHat 7.3 (hopefully to be updated in the future).

The versions currently required / suggested by phpwcms for ImageMagick (i.e. 5.5.7-10) is impossible to install in RedHat 7.x with RPMs, becuase it depends on (among others) gcc-2.3 or higher, which is only (officially) available for RH 8+. As per Ghostscript, there are no RPM packages for any version newer than 6.52, and just by the looks of the Installation Documentation, it seems it could take an eternity to compile (propperly).

I am trying to go for the earlier / easier versions of the available RPMs, ut want to ask whether this will impose a serious problem, or what I should keep in mind when using these versions instead of the recommended / newest ones. The ones I have my hands on are ghostscript 6.52 and ImageMagick 5.4.3. This is like a nightmare, because everything seems to be turning around a long list or requirements and dependencies, including some X-Windows things which I don't have since this is a "basic" webserver where X would be an unnecesary component.

Does anyone have any experiences with Redhat 7.3 ???

Any and all comments or tips will be greately appreciated... :)

J. Cortina
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

not knowing linus at all I may sound stupid [again] but if you only need images and automait resizing then could you not use the GD2 library ?
then you would not need image magik of ghost script at all.
this is configurable in the inc.conf.php
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

There is a RedHat 7.3 RMP installation available - I use myself:
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/ImageMagick/linu ... -7.x/i386/

It's OK to use bit older GhostScript only. That works.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
jcortina

Post by jcortina »

Thanks!