Using Textile instead of UBB style replacement tags?

Use GitHub to post feature requests for phpwcms.
marco

Using Textile instead of UBB style replacement tags?

Post by marco »

From the documentation:

"There are a lot of more replacement tags in preparation. As soon as possible I will extend this feature with UBB code styled tags. Please post your replacement ideas in forum's feature request section."

Would it be possible to use Textile instead of the UBB stle tags? It may be quite easy to integrate textile and it would not only save you a lot of time but also give a very powerful capability.

You can see how Textile works at:

http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/

It says it is beta, but it is quite stable and a lot of people use it and even prefer it to the WYSIWYG editors.
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

I had a look on it - it is possible to integrate. But it is very cryptic sometimes - so it will be very difficult for a lot of people to work with this. It's not as easy to understand like UBB styled tags.

But it is no problem to extend the replacement function in general.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
marco

Post by marco »

Only the table tags are more difficult, the other ones are just as simple as UBB tags. If the tags were listed along the edit textbox or above it, then people would not even have to remember them.

The beauty of the Textile tags is that they not only format the text, but format it in a typographycally correct way, something which is not possible if you use just UBB codes.

Check the sample output on Textile.com and also see the corresponding html. It produces the right types of quotes, for instance, again, something not possible with UBB tags.

Same thing with the other replacement tags; if they are listed in the template panel itself, a click on the tag description or the tag, if you list the tags, would insert them in the template.

I know I initially tried to insert the tags in external files, while all I needed to do was the now obvious thing: insert the tags in the html code
I am am pasting into the control panel boxes.
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

It is not available for download at the moment - so the integration would be to rework everything. Not so good. But some things are really interesting.

Oliver
marco

Post by marco »

Well, here's a link to the Textile 2.0b source code:

http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/beta2.html

The Textile 1.0 zip is available on the site but the download gives a corrupt zip file, at least for me. I'll post a link if I find it elsewhere.
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

Fine - this helps. I give it a try. :D