fnord

wprc.org

Post by fnord »

After a few months, I've converted a 100 page site over to phpWMCS:

http://www.wprc.org/

Some of my favorite things about phpWCMS:
- Easy to use and setup
- Looks good out of the box
- Easy to customize and change the look (doesn't LOOK like a CMS)
- Great support here at this group
- It handles a heavy user load well. We have 6000+ visitors per day at the site and 1.2+ GB of data per day (mostly phtml) and it's running smoothly on a shared server without too much load.

Only a couple things that make me sad:
- A couple of my pages are named with numbers instead of names.
- A little hard to make content from one "directory" appear in another without some hacking.

Congrats to Oliver and everyone here who's made this a great CMS.

Thanks-
trip

Post by trip »

nice resource site, there must have been a load of info on the site... but well done, looks good, nice use of colours.... :-)

Comments
- search field at the top, the word "search" is very small. I am using FIREFOX.
- in your page layout in the admin section, change the content so that it shows articles only, not catagory, as this is a redundant in the <title>...
- footer, give the copyright some padding left and right

hope this helps
TriP
marco

Post by marco »

Nice site; one observation: when navigating from one section to the menu is briefly shown extending horizontally to 3-5 times its normal width. I am wondering why? Using Firefox 0.9.
nosmile

Post by nosmile »

Oh, it's my first post. Hi there everybody! Phpwcms is great - I'm just fixing my first webpage using it... This forum is my guide and main supply of informations
marco wrote:Nice site; one observation: when navigating from one section to the menu is briefly shown extending horizontally to 3-5 times its normal width. I am wondering why? Using Firefox 0.9.
It's because table width is set to 100% and this is how browser renders the page - this table goes first and fits entire layout until the rest of the code is built.
IE in another hand doesn't show the table until it's downloaded entirely...right?
fnord

Post by fnord »

nosmile wrote: It's because table width is set to 100% and this is how browser renders the page - this table goes first and fits entire layout until the rest of the code is built.
IE in another hand doesn't show the table until it's downloaded entirely...right?
I'm not sure about that. The table has a column down the left side (for the menu) that has a width set at "100" which should be pixels not percent. I would think that would keep the browser from stretching that across the screen but it seems to show this problem fairly consistently.

BTW, sometimes I see this in Firefox 1.0 too. If anyone knows of a solution I'd be happy to fix it! :)

Thanks-

Fnord
Last edited by fnord on Mon 17. Jan 2005, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
nosmile

Post by nosmile »

Hi again.
The table with menu is set to 100% - just take a look.
The table with content is set to 601 pixels.
But anyway it's not a bug - once everything is downloaded from server and rendered in your browser it's ok.
It happens only in fast, modern browsers :wink: like firefox, opera or so...
It's up to you - if you wanna fix it, just do it :D
take care - good site BTW, i like it.
fnord

Post by fnord »

nosmile wrote: The table with menu is set to 100% - just take a look.
That table was inside another table whose width was set to 100. But, I changed it to see if it would help. I'm not seeing the "bug" right now but I don't see it everytime.

Thanks for the help--let me know if it's fixed for you!

Thanks-

Fnord
Karla

Post by Karla »

fnord wrote:
nosmile wrote: The table with menu is set to 100% - just take a look.
That table was inside another table whose width was set to 100. But, I changed it to see if it would help. I'm not seeing the "bug" right now but I don't see it everytime.

Thanks for the help--let me know if it's fixed for you!

Thanks-

Fnord
Actually, ~that~ table... is inside one, of two, table data cells (TD) that are contained in a table row (TR), that is contained in the body of a table (TBODY) whose Parent table (TABLE) width is set to 710. The left TD (the menu) is set for 100 and the right TD (the main content) uses the remaining 610.

Because that inside table is set for 100%... it expands, momentarily, to the full width of it's centered "parent" table, before the two TD's are re-positioned to share that 710. WHEW!
colech

Post by colech »

On this page, the menu is not wide enough and wraps the text. That causes the menu to have a large empty gap between "this site" and "support us".

I'm using Firefox 1.0
while !sleeping {
work_on(phpwcms);
}
// Check out our web development company!
// "Your business has character... don't hide it!"
fnord

Post by fnord »

colech wrote:On this page, the menu is not wide enough and wraps the text. That causes the menu to have a large empty gap between "this site" and "support us".
It might be confusing but the "support us" is actually intended to be separated like that to help it stand out and not be confused with the rest of the content on the site.

Thanks for the input--
colech

Post by colech »

That's a good idea! By the way, how did you get it to do that on purpose?

As a side note, I think it would be better to use a different style of link there than the rest of the menu so it doesn't look like it could be a mistake... but that's your choice.

I would also like to know how you made that "support us" link...? Was it a default replacement tag... I haven't used it like that before if it's possible since that is not a root structure.
while !sleeping {
work_on(phpwcms);
}
fnord

Post by fnord »

colech wrote:That's a good idea! By the way, how did you get it to do that on purpose?
I actually just cut-and-paste the HTML that's generated by the menu into the left template (after a few line breaks). Pretty simple--of course it won't automatically update if I change certain parameters on the menu but since it's mostly image and css based, it follows along pretty well.

I think you're right thought that it might look better to make a different button for it to help it look "different".

Thanks-
colech

Post by colech »

fnord thanks for the tip... and I love your layout on your website! Have a good one.
while !sleeping {
work_on(phpwcms);
}