Move site from development to production

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
submike

Move site from development to production

Post by submike »

Hi,

I would like to move my development site to production. It's hosted on the same server, and just want to move the site from a subdomain to the root domain.

dev.websitename.org --> http://www.websitename.org

The database is going to be in the same location. Can I just copy and paste the files from the dev directory to the www directory, and then update the following code from the include/inc_conf/conf.inc.php file?

Code: Select all

$phpwcms["site"]              = "http://dev.websitename.org/";
Thanks in advance,
Mike
Ben

Post by Ben »

Yes - just copy the files/folders, but make sure that the file and folder permissions also stay the same. You'll find out relatively quickly if they don't. As far as I know, the variable that you mention is the only one that you should have to change.
submike

Post by submike »

Thanks for the info Ben. I still have some work to do before the site goes live, which will be in a week or two. I'll post notes on the process, as well as a link to the site when it goes live.
submike

Post by submike »

I tried transferring my personal test site from one subdomain (cms.randm.org) to another subdomain (test.randm.org), and it doesn't seem to work. I updated the include/inc_conf/conf.inc.php file to reflect the change and made sure the file/folder permissions are the same. All I get is "---".

Check it out at: http://test.randm.org

Any ideas on why this is happening? I'm supposed to move a site from development to production on Thursday for a Board meeting on Friday. In other words, I need to figure this out fast.

More info on my transfer method: Using Transmit (FTP client) on my mac, I went into the cms.randm.org directory and selected all files. I then used the move files option to move the files to the test.randm.org directory.

PLEASE HELP. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP
Ben

Post by Ben »

Do a clean install at the new subdomain and verify that it is working properly. Then, connect to the old database and copy up the style sheets, images etc.
submike

Post by submike »

It appears there may be a problem my web hosting company. It appears anytime I create a subdomain, it just outputs "---" no matter what files are in the directory.

Ben, thanks for the quick reply. I'll use your method as a last resort, as I made some slight modifications to code and images. I'll post my progress/process.