Multiple Languages

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

this is all what you need to build an multilang. website! what info did you need or what Q's you have!?
marco

Post by marco »

Alexander Schlegel wrote:For example: in Contenido you have a separate menue in the backend where you can set up further languages. With the consequence that every new side will be automatically duplicated in the other languages you have initialized.
Yes? And who translates the content? Is that done "automatically" (and correctly) too?
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

marco wrote:Yes? And who translates the content? Is that done "automatically" (and correctly) too?
hello

you will translate it. if contendio really translate the content i don't wanna reed this. if you ever try to translate complete websites via google or some other you will undertstand this.
marco

Post by marco »

Pappnase wrote:
marco wrote:Yes? And who translates the content? Is that done "automatically" (and correctly) too?
hello

you will translate it. if contendio really translate the content i don't wanna reed this. if you ever try to translate complete websites via google or some other you will undertstand this.
Oh, I know, the irony was lost in my question, I know how bad automatic translation is.

The other post seems to suggest that in Contenido pages get automatically translated ("automatically duplicated in the other languages")- I say, maybe, but not correctly, if it is automatic.
Alexander Schlegel

Post by Alexander Schlegel »

marco wrote:
Pappnase wrote:
hello

Oh, I know, the irony was lost in my question, I know how bad automatic translation is.

The other post seems to suggest that in Contenido pages get automatically translated ("automatically duplicated in the other languages")- I say, maybe, but not correctly, if it is automatic.
I think, if someone has only a little understanding how cm-systems work, it seems to be clear that there is no automatic translation. :roll:
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

Same as I think.

It makes NO sense to have every page copied automaticly if you want to have an additional language. Only wasting time and space. I have something different in mind - like Typo3. There is a clever solution: use a default language - and if you want to have additional language you have to fill in. I will use same as this - prepared in mind and theory.

First some enhancements are neccessary - but also drafted like alias content. Then it would be much simpler to use mirrored content anywhere.

Current solution by using different site trees is only a workaround ;-)

Oliver
Last edited by Oliver Georgi on Sun 20. Jun 2004, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
marco

Post by marco »

Alexander Schlegel wrote:
I think, if someone has only a little understanding how cm-systems work, it seems to be clear that there is no automatic translation. :roll:

Actually there is "automatic translation"; there is NO GOOD automatic translation. A link to any number of automatic translation services will translate and return a web page coded in, say, German, in English, except the quality will be very poor. The page layout and formatting are the same, only the content changes from one language to another.
Jari

Post by Jari »

I'm trying to understand this :roll: I have built a new site for a client that will be in 2 languages.

The first language is Swedish wich is all done, now I'm going to start with the second language and that is Finnish, and let us think the Finnish part will start at ID 18 and the swedish part is ID 1 -17.

But what happens if my client wants to add an article in the Swedish part will it not be placed in the Finnish part then ?

I mean if the swedish part stops on ID 17 and there the Finnish part will start, if my client make a new article will it not get the ID 18 or higher and be shown in the wrong language in the menu ?

I hope someone understand what I'm trying to ask :lol:
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

it's no problem for the system. structure is the basis for what is coming deeper - so next ID can be 40. This can be resort - but ID 17 and 18 should be the top structure levels and children of Index/Home...

Then ypu can go deeper and deeper for every language tree.

Oliver
Jari

Post by Jari »

Ok do I understand it right, I should make the Finnish part like a child to Index as usually but then make all Finnish articles as child to that one?
Jari

Post by Jari »

I think I was wrong, you must mean that I should have made the home for Swedish as a top level (ID1 or whatever it will have) under index and then make all pages/articles as sublevels to that one.

Then I should make the Finnish home as top level to index (ID2 or whatever) and make all pages/articles as sublevels to that one ?
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

I would say - yes.
Jari

Post by Jari »

Ok, thanx for the help :D It took awhile before my brain connected the right way :idea:
TI&OSM

multi language

Post by TI&OSM »

Hello Oliver, you posted the below quote on 'Zo Jun 20, 2004 14:49'.
Where you say that the current solution by using different site trees is only a workaround.

Is there a new manner to create a multi language site?
I now use the 'Poormans script of Fluvio Romanin',
but that is in conflict with a couple of other scripts I most use.
Oliver Georgi wrote:Same as I think.

It makes NO sense to have every page copied automaticly if you want to have an additional language. Only wasting time and space. I have something different in mind - like Typo3. There is a clever solution: use a default language - and if you want to have additional language you have to fill in. I will use same as this - prepared in mind and theory.

First some enhancements are neccessary - but also drafted like alias content. Then it would be much simpler to use mirrored content anywhere.

Current solution by using different site trees is only a workaround ;-)

Oliver
Robert [TI&OSM]
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

oh 2004. I would not say - workaround. For me it's a logical solution (now).

Oliver