GD, ImageMagick, Ghostscript

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
spirelli

GD, ImageMagick, Ghostscript

Post by spirelli »

Some Questions:
On the phpwcms home page it says that ImageMagick and GhostScript are recommended.

But what is GD Version 2.0 that I keep reading about? If I have this, do I still need GhostScript?

My hosting company told me that "ImageMagick is already installed on our servers in the default directory (you can not install this in your own space!)". So where would I find it, or what path do I have to specify?

Does GhostScript do anything for phpwcms without ImageMagick, or does ImageMagick need Ghostscript in any case? Who depends on whom, and where does GD come in, and what does 'GD' mean?

Thanks.
cyrano

Post by cyrano »

Hi,

just an idea:

Try path for ImageMagick:
1. empty
2. /usr/bin/
3. /usr/bin/convert <-- no Slash here

Normally GD2 works as it is.

Please try and report.
Gruß/ regards cyrano
--------------------------------------------------------
templates -> http://www.128.weitzelmedia.de
planepix -> http://www.planepix.de
XING -> https://www.xing.com/profile/Thomas_Weitzel3
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

of course Cy is right but in short:
GD2 is easy and good.
IM is better.
you only need one or the other
you should use IM & GS together.
spirelli

Post by spirelli »

Ok, if I understan correctly ImageMagick creates thumbnails, right?

When I upload a pic to the 'FILE' area in the admin panel I get a thumbnail preview. Does that mean that IM is doing it's job already? I guess I should still install GhostScript on the server. What are the main benefits?

THanks.
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

spirelli wrote:Ok, if I understan correctly ImageMagick creates thumbnails, right?

When I upload a pic to the 'FILE' area in the admin panel I get a thumbnail preview. Does that mean that IM is doing it's job already? I guess I should still install GhostScript on the server. What are the main benefits?

THanks.
hello

both creates thumbnails!

IM only in a better quality! but GD2 is quite enough!
spirelli

Post by spirelli »

ok, thanks Pappnase!

My question also was:
Should I still install GhostScript on the server. What are the benefits of doing so?

Thanks a lot for getting back
DeXXus

Post by DeXXus »

spirelli wrote:ok, thanks Pappnase!

My question also was:
Should I still install GhostScript on the server. What are the benefits of doing so?

Thanks a lot for getting back
No ~need~ to install Ghostscript. ImageMagick uses Ghostscript to render Postscript and PDF files, as
well as formats where a translator to Postscript is available. There has been virtually no discussion/use of it's support on these forums.