menu question

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
weirdo

menu question

Post by weirdo »

is it possible to generate a menu only for one section of the site?

for example, let's say i have an About section, that contains a few sub-sections. when i go to the About section, i want to see only the sub-sections it contains, not the entire menu (on the left/right side)

i hope i was clear enough...

weirdo
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

for this you will create an new template
and then use the {NAV_TABLE_COLUMN:X} Tag.
mom2nine

A template within a template?

Post by mom2nine »

Could you clarify this for me? Creating a new template? Then where do you use it? Is this something I have missed? Can you use different templates for different categories?
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

yes you can create a several templates! and when you create an structurelevel you can decide wich template you wanna use.
isac

Post by isac »

Yes, of course you can!

Go to ADMIN > Site structure > clique edit struture level > chosse in template at botton of page

thats it
Pappnese always with fast answers :wink:
mom2nine

I don't see that

Post by mom2nine »

I have Site Structure and there's an index, but nothing that lets me edit the site structure
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

please take a look at the end of your structure level! at the end you will see the button edit! but not at the first (homepage) level. only on at the levels you create!
mom2nine

Appreciate your assistance!

Post by mom2nine »

Thank you for that information, that's very helpful and gets me closer to what I need.

What I want to do is have a list of the articles inside a category displaying in the content area of the page. I can't seem to figure out what code would make this happen. I just get a white strip of empty space where the content goes, and that's where I need to display a list of the articles so visitors can click on them.
stevenlyons

Post by stevenlyons »

Yes it is insanely complicated. Here's how to do what you want:

In the left column of the admin area, click: 'templates"
You will see your template list.

Click on the [+] 'add template' button. this will create a new blank template. In the 'main' area make sure you put a {CONTENT} replacement tag. Add any other HTML or CSS elements you want to include on your page. Click the 'save template' button at the bottom.

In the left column of the admin area, click: 'site structure"
You will see your category list.

Click on the 'edit' button way to the right of the category name.

More than halfway down the page for your category, you will see a menu with the title: 'template'. Choose the template you just created from the list. Click the 'send category data' button at the bottom.

That's it. If you now preview your category page, you should see a list of articles for just that category.

EDIT: I should have added that you will want to put in whatever menu code you are using in the new template. I have found the phpwcms menus ({NAV_TABLE_COLUMN}, etc.) to be limited and have used my own html menus.
mom2nine

That's closer!

Post by mom2nine »

I'm still having problems making this happen, and I guess what I need is some nuts and bolts instructions on this script. My client has 1500 pages of documents grouped into ten different categories that he wants me to post in such a way that he can edit them easily. Each document has a corresponding audio (MP3) file to listen to. Unfortunately, I don't have enough information about the functions that happen within this script to make it do that for me. I've spent three days working with this and I think I'm closer to what I need (although I do dislike the navbar setup a bit), but I'm frustrated that I can't connect all the dots to make the content display as needed.

If I create a blank template with just {CONTENT} in the main box, I end up with a blank white page when I go to that category. It seems that the navbar function works great, but I can't get it to talk to the content (main) window.
stevenlyons

Post by stevenlyons »

yeah I know...it took me days to figure out the most basic things.

Have you associated the template with the category (as described in the previous message)? Are you saying that you see all the template elements but just not the content? Or is it a completely blank page?
mom2nine

Still working on this...

Post by mom2nine »

Yes, I created a new template with nothing except {CONTENT} in the main window, and named it Studies. Then I went to the category and changed the template to the one I just created (Studies). There are articles and subcategories inside this one category, mind you. Anyway, the blank template gave me a blank page until I created an article and put it in that category.

Okay, so that much I now have under my belt. But I have a subcategory where I would like the content to be the list of articles in that subcategory. How can I make that happen?

And thanks for taking the time to help me, I do appreciate it. I checked out your website, too, VERY classy!
stevenlyons

Post by stevenlyons »

The page for your category will automatically display a list of all the articles in that category (add some more articles to see this).

-and-

To make a list of articles in a specific category display on a page other than the category page, you use the 'Article List" Content Part. Content parts are like little modules that allow you to format how your articles display--they are not intuitive but they are very powerful. When you create articles there is a drop down menu with the words "add content part" to the right of it. Article List is in there. Just add one to any article to add an article list from any category.