installation in Linux

Please post all install related problems here. Visit this forum first for troubleshooting.
enlumination

installation in Linux

Post by enlumination »

Hi everyone,

I'm a total newcomer on both php and Linux, but full of good will to improve myself!
My website was done by a friend under an older version. I have downloaded phpwcms_r179 to upgrade, extracted the files on my hard drive, but have no clue on how to continue the upgrade.
Should there be any line of command I should write down in the terminal of Linux?

Thanks for helping me out on this one... :roll:

William
juergen

Re: installation in Linux

Post by juergen »

Hi there,

after reading twice some questions remain: Is the Linux local or located in a far away place of your hoster, which would cause soem different treatment...
enlumination

Post by enlumination »

It's on my laptop, so as local as can be.
I'm still under Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon (7), since the next version doesn't call me yet.

Already thank you for this feeling of being helped! :D
juergen

Post by juergen »

So if you have backup from all the stuff take Midnight commander or anything else and copy the files from new over the old version, b4 have a look if there are old filestorage names, like: phpwcms_filestorage a.s.o This again needs some renaming. Perhaps you can tell from which version you are starting the upgrade
enlumination

Post by enlumination »

Thanks, I got to discover Midnight Commander this way, although it might take some time before it gets easy on this one as well!
Yet, I still don't know how to do. I don't think I have any of the old files version on my computer.
Could they be on my server's website (I'm hosted by Bluehost).
I'm running version 1.3.0.

Told you I was new in this! :roll:

I really appreciate your help btw!

William
juergen

Post by juergen »

Code: Select all

apt-get install mc
if your install images are right, that's all ... perhaps you remember Norton Commander .. nearly the same ;)