Documentation Coordination

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
alexander

Post by alexander »

Maybe you are right. Do you think the implementation of OpenOffice.org and DocBook will work?

Or would it be an idea, to use phpWCMS for a kind of Documentation Development site, where users get access as "normal users" with access to only the content of the site? And when a document is finished it can be made publicly available?! Or maybe a Wiki or something similar?!
jmeyknecht

Post by jmeyknecht »

@alexander
i don't know yet :-)
i found some hints in the internet about it and i'm still working on it. i will write if it works, maybe it's too hard although... it's just a test, because it's interesting for me...

your idea of setting up a special website with user access sounds not bad, because in my opinion, not every person is qualified for writing good documentation. so you have control about who wrote which part, etc.. and someone has to be the "admin" of all this...

i think i read somewhere in the forum that someone wanted to set up a wiki for documentation. unfortunately i forgot name, etc.. i dunno wether is is set up or not. i've never worked with a wiki yet, would be new to me also :-))
webwesen

Post by webwesen »

once again - wiki sounds like a perfect solution.
why has an attempt to use it failed before?
alexander

Post by alexander »

I agree to webwesen. The only thing with wikis is that it's not possible to administrate and thus keep control over quality and clarity. On the other hand it's the quickest and easiest way to collect help for users.

However, I think, additionally there should be some conventional documentation like an Install Manual or a Quickstart Guide available - just so people can set up their own phpWCMS quickly.
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

WiKi sounds easy but isn't usable. So it will be a traditional documentation - which is printable too.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
alexander

Post by alexander »

Okay, Oliver has stated his opinion - so, we are back to these questions:

1. What are the rules for creating documentation?
2. Can we support you, Oliver, in creating the templates, so we can start writing documentation soon?
3. How is the documentation site administrated?

Let's get the documentation process rolling, folks!
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

I have to work out the docu template.

There are a lot of things that has to be in it. Please wait until I have released such template for Word, OpenOffice and AppleWorks. This will include all formatting and infos.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
Marko

Post by Marko »

In my opinion docus are usually the most overlooked aspect of any opensource code development. It's nice to see, that this shall not be the case with PHPWCMS.

Overall it would be wise to cut the cake into smaller slices, like someone already suggested. I also agree with jmeyknecht that the project should be well controlled by somekind of "admins", whose jobdiscription would be gathering these parts together. And after some revising these components could be sent for OG, if he's willing, for inspection. The main docu should be written in english, so translating them into other languages would be easier after the final version is out...

Hmmmm... :roll: After reading my own text I got a feeling: "this guy must be related to the military somehow"! :D
But I give a big thumb for german punctuality in this particular case! :P
alexander

Post by alexander »

@Oliver: Sorry, I didn't want to push you. I am just eager to get this started. Can you send a short info message through the phpWCMS mailing list once you have those templates out, so I don't overlook them?

@Marko: Yes, I would also be happy to see that the documentation to phpWCMS is as thorough and well worked out as phpWCMS itself.