backend online-help

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
andre

backend online-help

Post by andre »

hi folks,

well, i said i would do this on weekend but my mausi got in party fever so i wasn't at home over the weekend. now it's monday (my head aches) and i'm at school listening a quite boring thema (ms server2003 verwaltung), so i'm coding my first tests for phpwcms backend online-help:

in include > inc_tmpl > admin.pagelayout.tmpl.php
on line 255
change:

Code: Select all

<?php echo $BL['be_admin_page_margin']  ?>
to:

<?php echo("<a href=\"javascript:void(0);\" onclick=\"window.open('help.html#".$BL['be_admin_page_margin']."','helpwin','height=50, width=50, scrollbars=yes, status=no, location=no, toolbar=no, directories=no, resizable=yes');\">".$BL['be_admin_page_margin']."</a>")  ?>
and the help.html looks like this:

<html>
<head>
<title>phpwcms online help</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
 mywidth = 350;
 myheight = 150;
 posx = screen.width / 2 - mywidth / 2;
 posy = screen.height / 2 - myheight / 2;
 window.resizeTo(mywidth,myheight);
 self.moveTo(posx,posy);
</script>
</head>
<body>
<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
<a name="margin"><b>margin</b></a><br>
Sets the space between our homepage and the corners of our browser.
</body>
</html>

after that, i click on "margin" in backend>pagelayout, a 350x150 sized window is opened in the middle of the screen and jumps to the anchor named "margin" 8)

now is the question, will the help.html grow too big when we add all the languages ?
but maybe for the sake of good management, it would be good to have the languages seperated... therefore-> how/where do i read (in php) which language is used in backend ? (i assume it's a variable...)

cheers
-andre
ps. oliver: would you be interested on adding this(when it's ready) to the official version, so i wouldn't need to generate an update script :oops:
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

Hi andre,
my pennies worth would be to store the lagauges seprately and within the same structure as lang.inc.php
this would make it easy for people to pick up a 'language file' vthat they undertstand and translate it to thier chosen language as is done now with phpwcms.

The language chosen for the 'backend help' should be the lagnauge for tha logged in user.
frold

Post by frold »

I think a mouse over function would be better...

When you could point your mouse over some backend text then a small "popup" would show info about what that field mean or what it is for etc...
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
andre

Post by andre »

frold wrote:I think a mouse over function would be better
...for newcomers would a mouse over indeed be nice, but i bet after a while (when you know the most inputs) the popups will get annoying blowing up anytime you move you're mouse over it... tja, 2 sec timer einbauen,,,

i see oliver has allready planned a backend online-help (tool-tips) in the future version, so i can close this project
http://www.phpwcms.de/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=

see ya
-andre