using sub-domains

Get help with installation and running phpwcms here. Please do not post bug reports or feature requests here.
eglwolf

using sub-domains

Post by eglwolf »

My current site (pre-phpwcms) uses sub-domains for each major section of the site. Currently there are like 9-10 subdomains. And these are index fairly well in search engines.

My concern is that I can't use phpwcms with subdomains, is that true? Does that mean I will have to set those subdomains up on redirects into the new areas of the cms system?
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

hello yes you can do this with an redirection in each subdomain

or

you can install phpwcms only at the main domain and you can upload in each subdomain only the phpwcms folder and set in conf.inc.php the database setup to the main domain.
eglwolf

Post by eglwolf »

Could you give me more details on this method:
you can install phpwcms only at the main domain and you can upload in each subdomain only the phpwcms folder and set in conf.inc.php the database setup to the main domain.
This might work for me.
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

that would mean that you have at all sites the same content.
but you can install phpwcms also in subdirs! and when you install phpwcms he ask in the setupup routine for an table prefix.
so you can write in the prefix sub1 sub2 but then you have login in to each subdomain to edit content. but you have all in one database.
eglwolf

Post by eglwolf »

hmm.. I think the redirect would be much easier to manage then 10 different copies of phpwcms installed on my site.
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

hello

i think so,too
Jan212

Post by Jan212 »

i would directly link the subdomains to each subdirectories index... you can do this in the virtual host entry or with your server admin panel...
Regards/ Grüsse/ Groetjes - JAN212
------------------------------------------------
null212 - Büro für Kommunikation und Design
Lyrikfetzen des Tages
1. Ist der Quelltext auch valide fragt Herr Müller ganz perfide.
2. Wat is dat een lekker ding.
3. Wer Vision hat soll zum Arzt gehen.
eglwolf

Post by eglwolf »

Jan212- right now each subdomain has an index.html page which is displayed when you go there, but is there an easy way to set up phpwcms to use subdomains, so that I can continue using it the same way, and I have my statis site?
Jan212

Post by Jan212 »

you could also point your subdomains to:

Code: Select all

http://mysite/myphpwcms/index.php?alias
that seems to be a better way... look at my site it's also called by a subdomain virtual host entry
Lyrikfetzen des Tages
eglwolf

Post by eglwolf »

Maybe I did not explain what I have now:

Domain name - index.html
sub-domain1 - index.html
sub-domain2 - index.html
sub-domain3 - index.html
sub-domain4 - index.html
sub-domain5 - index.html
sub-domain6 - index.html

And the navigation of the site uses xxx.domain.com, or yyy.domain.com etc.. instead of the domain.com/xxx

Now in using phpwcms, I think I will just have to set those sub-domains to redirect to the domain.com/phpwcms/index?alias file

Is that what you are suggesting? I think that is about the only way to do it. My concern is losing my search engine "ranking" placement by going that route, but we will just have to wait and see.
eglwolf

Post by eglwolf »

The other concern I have is that I have gone to the phpwcms sites that I have found on the net and none of them seem to be ranked well in google (using the google ranking tool bar)

Are there any sites that use this system that have a good ranking or search engine placement? I certainly do not want to redevelop my site to have it lose its rankings.
Jan212

Post by Jan212 »

now i know what you want :wink:

that isn't possible with the basic vers. without any hardcode changes by using an implemented navigation via replacement tag...
it would be a lot of work to modify it like you want to have it...

i think you'll have to rethink your site structure to go the fastest way.
Lyrikfetzen des Tages
eglwolf

Post by eglwolf »

I will just have to redirect people from the subdomains to the new phpwcms pages.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

The other concern I have is that I have gone to the phpwcms sites that I have found on the net and none of them seem to be ranked well in google (using the google ranking tool bar)
Get your mod_rewrite sorted out and you'll have no problems. I've hardly had my site up a few weeks and after the last Google update got a ranking of 5 straight off.

From SEO forums and reading what the Google Guy says, apparently the ranking does get adjusted to a lower rank in an update or two, but ofcourse that will depend on how your site is measured after being online for some time based on the Google algorithms.

Use the sitemap feature and mod_rewrite and your site will do the best it can, as well as the keyword entries for each page.

The bottom line however is that you've got to have the content to deserve that ranking. Don't blame anyone else !!