Graphical Text MOD - FINAL - Version 2.0

Post custom hacks and enhancements for phpwcms here only. Maybe some of these things will be included in official release later.
Jérôme

Post by Jérôme »

Version 1.1.2 released

This release fixes the bug that a style could not be deleted.

In addition to that, an initial install of the MOD will also bring you some default fonts, colors and styles in the backend so that you can start using the MOD at once and can also see how the values and names should look like.

Have fun :)

BTW: This MOD still works in all versions of phpwcms since 2004-03-28.

Edit: For all non english-speakers: Yes, this means that this MOD is working! :twisted:
pSouper

Post by pSouper »

and for all English speaking members...
ja arbeitet dieses
esto está trabajando sí
oui ceci fonctionne
sì questo sta funzionando
sim isto está trabalhando
8)

(sorry, I just loved your special post to the non english speakers written in english :))
Keules

Stimmt

Post by Keules »

Ich kann es nur bestätigen, es funzt wunderbar :) :D

Danke Jérôme!

For non-German user:

Holy shit ! The MOD is really working!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ciao
Keules
vmedia

Post by vmedia »

It's GREAT !!!! Loving it, using it.. thanks Jerome! grtz. Jeroen
jsw_nz

Hi Jerome

Post by jsw_nz »

Hi Jerome!
Thanks to your updates (1_1_2) and snobba's pointer on the upgrade to php 4.3.6, I finally got it to work (Thanks snobba!). Maybe the 4.3.6 issue is related to the platform. I am running Wintel/Apache 2.0.49

This is a really a nice app.

I did want to bring up some issues and a couple of questions:

From what I understand your mod produces a png, is that right?
Since fontizer parameters are intact in the source code, IE's 'save image as' defaults to 'untitled +.bmp'

My first concern was testing output in a number of browsers.

I found two strange bugs in Windows NS 4.75

1.) Seems that only the first word of a given string is displayed.
2.) Seems leaving out background color defaults the display of bounding box rather than text.

Is there any way the module could output to gif and provide image name and type to the browser. If so this NS bug might be alleviated and the deployment of your mod might be more universally supported

Just putting this out there for discussion.

Nice Work!

cheers, jsw
cmslover

does not work in RC3?

Post by cmslover »

Hi Jerome,

I have RC3 and just installed your mod. In Article column it show" Graphical Text " but clicking on it will direct me to MODULES column with these words "in preparation - will follow later"

Any idea?

Thanks
frold

Re: does not work in RC3?

Post by frold »

cmslover wrote:Hi Jerome,

I have RC3 and just installed your mod. In Article column it show" Graphical Text " but clicking on it will direct me to MODULES column with these words "in preparation - will follow later"

Any idea?

Thanks
Then you did this wrong :

Code: Select all

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

$wcsnav["modules"] = "<strong class="navtexta">".$wcsnav["modules"]."</strong>";

#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
# 

$subnav .= subnavtext($BL['be_subnav_graphicaltext_mod'], "phpwcms.php?do=modules&p=2", $p, "2", 0);

#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------
#

case "modules":

#
#-----[ THE MODULES-AREA SHOULD LOOK SIMILAR TO THIS: 
#       PLEASE CONSIDER OTHER INSTALLED MODULES ] ------------------
#

case "modules":	//Modules
	   					switch ($p) {

case 2: // Graphical Text MOD
									include_once "./include/inc_module/mod_graphical_text/main.inc.php";
									break;

default: echo '';
									 break;
						}
						break;

#
#-----[ ADD ]------------------------------------------
#

break;
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
Jérôme

Re: Hi Jerome

Post by Jérôme »

Hey jsw,

thanks for your comments to which I want to lose some words:

In the next release, I will change the output away from PNG to JPG, because it is simply better supported than PNG (thanks to Microsoft's IE that 96% of the surfers stick to, what I simply don't understand). Transparency will be then dropped again, but to be honest, the transparency has been very poor, anyway.

Unfortunately it is not possible to create a "true" picture with an own name, so that the browser will not recognize that this is "only" a script. Perhaps your BMP-issue will be solved when I have changed the script's output to JPG - we will simply see.

Concerning your Netscape 4.7x problems... I am sorry, but I will not put work into supporting an older and even more buggy browser than IE. I suppose the issue is located in the browsers technology - it seems that NS handels the URI differently than newer browsers which will lead to the problems. Unfortunately I can't provide another way to carry the needed variables to the fontizer-script.

One tip: upgrade, it's free :mrgreen:

I am sorry, I don't want to seem sarcastic, but I will never be able to understand, why people don't upgrade after years that other, newer and better browsers exist...

I know that there are reasons (I myself have customers that use NS 4.x because of political reasons) why people use old browsers - but those people should not look at such prgressive and modern projects like phpwcms ;). Their bad luck :twisted:

;)

- Jérôme
cmslover

Post by cmslover »

I tried again but it still does not work (I installed both Graphic mode and News_beta mod.), I got Parse error at line 339 ( which start from section /////////case "admin": //Administration
if($_SESSION["wcs_user_admin"] == 1) {
switch($p) {
case 0: //User Administration..../////////

Here was what I did:

I installed fresh RC3, in phpwcms.php there are 2 places with case "modules": //Module

Here is the codes of the first part as per instruction:

require_once ('./include/inc_conf/conf.inc.php');
//load default language EN
require_once ('./include/inc_lang/backend/en/lang.inc.php');
if($_SESSION["wcs_user_lang_custom"]) { //use custom lang if available -> was set in login.php
	include_once ('./include/inc_lang/backend/'.$_SESSION["wcs_user_lang"].'/lang.inc.php');
include_once ('./include/inc_module/mod_graphical_text/inc_lang/backend/'.$_SESSION["wcs_user_lang"].'/lang.inc.php');
require_once ('./include/inc_module/mod_news/inc_lang/backend/'.$_SESSION["wcs_user_lang"].'/lang.inc.php');
}
require_once ('./include/inc_lib/default.inc.php');
require_once ('./include/inc_lib/general.inc.php');
require_once ('./include/inc_lib/checklogin.inc.php');
require_once ('./include/inc_lib/navi_text.inc.php');
require_once ('./include/inc_lib/checkmessage.inc.php');

Here is the second part:

case "modules":		//modules
						$wcsnav["modules"] = "<strong class=\"navtexta\">".$wcsnav["modules"]."</strong>";
                                                $subnav .= subnavtext($BL['be_subnav_graphicaltext_mod'], "phpwcms.php?do=modules&p=2", $p, "2", 0);
                                                $subnav .= subnavtext($BL['news_subnav_news_mod'], "phpwcms.php?do=modules&p=3", $p, "3", 0);
						break;

and here is the third part:

case "modules":	//Modules       switch ($p) {
									break;
                                                             case 3: // News MOD
									include_once "./include/inc_module/mod_news/main.inc.php";
									break;
                                                             default: echo 'Choose your module to the left';
                                                              break;
                                                 }
                                                 break;

Note the third part original code from Oliver is :

case "modules":	//Modules -> later
						echo 'in preparation - will follow later';
						break;

Other steps such as alter MYSQL, include/inc_front/content.func.inc.php were no problem

Please advise.

Thanks
Last edited by cmslover on Mon 26. Apr 2004, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
jsw_nz

Hi Jerome

Post by jsw_nz »

Thanks for the reply.

I seem to always test on older browsers, just a habit of mine. NS 4.75 is quite old, I know. I tried plugging in a jpeg scheme to see if it would provide a workaround for NS. To my surprize, same problem. Any given string will display only the first complete word and leave the rest out.

Somhow I am trying to understand this bug. By using a 500 px blank.jpg, the output in NS indicates that the $text = html_entity_decode($_GET["text"]);is getting truncated once it encounters a white space. This is because the one word is 'centered' in the 500px jpeg panel. Somehow the imagettfbbox is computing on a text variable that is truncated.

I hear you in regards to your wish to steer clear of buggy browsers, but I am wondering if there might be a simple workaround. Just thinking out loud.

Cheers, jsw
marco

Post by marco »

Jérôme wrote:Again a long night of work, but I hope it was worth it ;). The only thing that disturbs me is that nobody is awake to test the MOD immediately ;).
Nice, is there a site to see the results?
frold

Post by frold »

cmslover wrote: Note the third part original code from Oliver is :

case "modules":	//Modules -> later
						echo 'in preparation - will follow later';
						break;
plz delete
http://www.studmed.dk Portal for doctors and medical students in Denmark
Jérôme

Post by Jérôme »

marco wrote:Nice, is there a site to see the results?
Hava a look at this thread, vmedia has used the MOD for the headers (that's what this MOD is intended for).
Jérôme

Re: Hi Jerome

Post by Jérôme »

@jsw_nz: As a possible workaround, you could try to encode every white space that you want to use with the html-entity &nbsp;.

I tested it on my local installation with: {GT:header}This&nbsp;is&nbsp;a&nbsp;test{/GT} and it worked. Perhaps is this an acceptable solution for you?
Jérôme

Re: does not work in RC3?

Post by Jérôme »

cmslover wrote:Hi Jerome,

Any idea?

Thanks
If the entry appears in the "Articles"-Column, I assume that you must have messed up something while copypasting the code during install. From the code that you pasted later, I can't see an error, but there must be something wrong if you can't see it :).

I have my installed the MOD on a fresh RC3 and I had no problems... I am sorry I can't give you any solution to your problem right now... And I also don't know if and, if yes, why the news MOD could cause a problem...