WCMS-Blog install help

If you've problems with unsupported - non official ;-) - functionalities use this forum please.
ExVee

WCMS-Blog install help

Post by ExVee »

I've never tried to add a new module to phpwcms before. Could someone possibly give me a basic rundown of how to get the blog mod installed and running, or point me to someplace where a guide is posted?

I'm particularly having troubles right now with the creation of the database tables. The script can't connect to MySQL because it doesn't have a password to use. But even setting that aside I'm not really clear on how to "activate" it where I can get to it through the backend.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!
juergen

Re: WCMS-Blog install help

Post by juergen »

Hi there,

an easy way (at this moment, while preparing a new version) ist to copy and paste the Database setup in phpmyadmin ... but just now thinking about a setuüp procedure inside.
ExVee

Post by ExVee »

Yeah, I can do the database tables manually if needed, but I wanted to see if I could get the automatic version to work first. Plus I need to know how to make phpwcms recognize it. Any help there? :)
juergen

Post by juergen »

Where did you take it from ? From my Site?

Only copy to webspace and it will go running, in frontent place: {BLOG:name} , where name is the name of the blog from the backend.

You dig it ?
ExVee

Post by ExVee »

Yeah, I downloaded it from your site. I eventually did get it running, and despite some issues (like the comments field always being open even in Firefox. I just eliminated the comments elements from the frontend.render.php - I didn't want the comment functionality anyway. ;)) it's mostly going good.

I do have a couple questions you might could clear up.

First, in the backend I get a green-highlighted message stating "You do not have all neccessary rights for these BLOGS". I'm guessing this is referring to file permissions, although since the main functions seem to be working I don't imagine it's a horrible mis-CHMOD. Could you give me a run down of whatever files/folders need special permission settings so I can double check?

The other thing is, what file do I edit to get the date output to display in English?

Thanks for the help so far!

--

Edit: Actually, while I'm at it...

I run my site with another person. Is there a way to get the author name automatically added to the entry, maybe on the line with the date?
juergen

Post by juergen »

ok, you are self editor *g*

Language of date is near "set locale" in frontend.render.php, I do in fact only look at the new version at this moment.

The rights are dealing with the owner, that's the man creating it. Women as well :mrgreen:

Author, hm, have to look at it,m but might be a nice option.
ExVee

Post by ExVee »

Okay, getting better. So, if the rights thing isn't the CHMOD, any ideas why I'm getting that message?

I suppose the author thing probably isn't a typical function of a weblog. Admittedly, I'm not exactly planning to use this in a "typical" way, it's mostly becoming a workaround for one of the (in my perception at least) failings of phpwcms.

So, what I'm encountering right now is that neither permalinks nor links to previous blog pages are working correctly. Permalinks are returning 404s, and previous pages are going... well, I don't know exactly. I click the << Älter link and it takes me to a page displaying an article that used to be on the same category as the weblog rendering, but I've since moved the old article to a different level. -- Nevermind, I got URL Rewrite working and that's all fixed now. :D

I also see that you have a weblog archive block in the sidebar of your site. Would that be a component of the WCMS-Blog, or something separate I have to do?

I also wanted to thank you for basically hand-holding me as I muddle through getting this running and configured to my liking. I really appreciate the help!
juergen

Post by juergen »

Oh, Man, the sidebar archive was worth bringing me to hell, right now it is working. These date issues are potential killers in diiferent sql Versions.

At this time the scriplet is seperate from the rest, but in fact, it needs some Extras like : Where do I start, how do I display, and so on, a big differene from 1 Blog to each possible combinations.

If you like, I'll sent you the scriplet...
ExVee

Post by ExVee »

That would be great! Of course you know, I'll probably need help with that too. :)

You can e-mail to chris@figurereviews.com
juergen

Post by juergen »

better PM things like mail adress a.s.o and delete this above adress as soon as possible... or dou you need a couple of thousands spam Mails ??
ExVee

Post by ExVee »

No worries. That's one of my "throwaway" addresses exactly for the purpose of public display. :) My spam filters actually do really well on keeping the volume in check. But thanks for your concern.
ExVee

Post by ExVee »

I don't mean to pester, but I also wanted to make sure you hadn't forgotten about the sidebar archive script. 8)
juergen

Post by juergen »

Ok, good idea, not forgotten but behind the noise blanker. Sorry, get it going right now !
juergen

Post by juergen »

done ! Sweat-wiping :cry: :lol:
ExVee

Post by ExVee »

Thanks for the archive table script!

I've got it up and running, but I still need to work some things out with it. Since I didn't have any posts to archive until last week, I've been trying to remove the 2008 list. I've had a sort of success: it isn't showing 2008's empty months anymore. Now it's showing 2009 twice. If you need visual reference for that I'll PM you a link to the test install where I have it set up, but I haven't been able to get any clear success in taking away the duplicate 2009. It's also consistently showing "0" for the "Total Entries" heading.

It also initially broke the tables I use for layout, pushing the original content out into the next table. I compensated with an extra table layer within my template, but I thought I'd mention it in case it's something you want to work on if you develop this further. :)

Edit: ...er, actually. The links seem to not really be working either. For example, if I click the link for January's posts, the page that loads also includes the test post for February I made earlier, and February includes January.