Weather: enhanced Module or cms-mod

Post custom hacks and enhancements for phpwcms here only. Maybe some of these things will be included in official release later.
torquemada

Weather: enhanced Module or cms-mod

Post by torquemada »

I am urgently looking out for a "weather" module or other form of integration, which is able to handle many different forecasts with acceptable performance. Before i have to search or finance a complete custome-made solution, i just wanted to hear arround if any other webmaster here would also be interested in such a module/enhancement, to share work or contribution. The are some widgets and forecasts yet outside, but they are mostly not enough configurable and too restricted in use, also mostly the used techniques have to much load (from parsing) for higher visited sites.

My Whishlist:
  • a parsing part and database which is able to parse data directly from the web (mostly xml) from public and comercial feeds, homogenize it and save it temporarely in a database. The database should be extendable for additional data sets in the future like geo code, tides data o.e.
  • a modul or/and a set of configurable replacement tags which shows weather data in different compositions as html formatted text (f.e. via templates) and also as rendered graphics, (example temperature graph of the last 10 days), or better a symbolic cloud cover rendered in to a relevant google or other map.
So just let me hear if others also would be interested and if there are also people with good ideas and enough experience for a technical realisation.
Some ideas APIs or code which seems to me a good starting point:

The YR.NO with a great and free data service http://code.google.com/p/yrno/
The NOAA with many free data feeds
The Google weather API
(yahoo, weather.com and other comercial xml-data providers ar enot desired because to restricive in use)

P.S. i would be more interested in a really outstanding realisation than in a cheap one, but also depends on common interest ...
breitsch

Re: Weather: enhanced Module or cms-mod

Post by breitsch »

sounds interesting

keep me up to date when you've a bunch of people to work on that.
I may help in integration into phpwcms as a plugin/module
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqxENMKaeCU
because it's important!
breitsch