New installation of 1.4.1; Error 404 on /index.php

Please post all install related problems here. Visit this forum first for troubleshooting.
lebolide

New installation of 1.4.1; Error 404 on /index.php

Post by lebolide »

Hello,

Today I downloaded and installed phpwcmsr307, which says it is version 1.4.1, currently the newest version on the site.
I downloaded it from http://www.phpwcms.de/ and after much searching found this forum, and eventually found the site http://www.phpwcms-docu.de where the install instructions are (why aren't the two sites linked?), and did the install. That went great, no problems, installed, copied conf.inc.php and uploaded it, deleted the setup directory, logged in as admin, followed the instructions for creating articles and changing the default layout of the site... but the home page doesn't change, and only ever shows a 404 error:

http://cvhs.harqueb.us/

How do I get something else to show up on the home page? I found the sample template in Admin / Templates and it is showing the error in the ERROR box. I can see the template has {CONTENT} in there, but nothing is being passed, apparently.

Is this caused by register_globals? Or do I need to create a specific type of article or menu to have it show up there?

Thanks.
juergen

Re: New installation of 1.4.1; Error 404 on /index.php

Post by juergen »

That is absolutely normal, add article under "home" and the "Error" is gone .. :)
lebolide

Post by lebolide »

I had been creating all my articles under "home" because I haven't yet made sub-folders... turns out there's a "visible" checkbox way down at the bottom of the Create Article page! :lol: I checked that on all of them, and now one article shows up on the home page.

Next, I need to find out how to create menus and navigation. :D
Jensensen

Post by Jensensen »

lebolide wrote:...and now one article shows up on the home page...
This question is worth that you open a new thread!

Default only one, the first article of any site structure level / category appears when you click on a 'level-nav-button'. You can turn any category to show all articles. When you do so, pagination as well can be activated.

It's called "article listing mode": you'll get a list of all articles (visible, public) of a certain level. Additionally many more settings (templates) affect the 'listing mode' used by the system for automatically generated links, for example
CP = content part
"article menu"
"teaser/link article"...

In most case you can use custom templates. You'll need CSS at any time.

Now you might know that there are many more functions you could use then, when, here, there, but not if... else and so on...

To be back to the question, more information about navigation you can find here.
{so_much} | Knick-Knack. | GitHub
Umlaute im URL sind meistens immer Kacke.