Faster way of moving and copying structures and articles

Use GitHub to post feature requests for phpwcms.
JensZ

Faster way of moving and copying structures and articles

Post by JensZ »

Hi,

I'd like to have another screen under Article where I can restructure my website in faster and easier way, without having to cut & paste each and every article/content part. The article structure is perfect for an overview, but it gets really cumbersome to work with when you need to move many articles at a time. I'd like to be able to select articles in chunks and move/copy/delete them. Perhaps with a select-multiple box or possibility to select several articles using check boxes.

Alternatively, make the screen faster using Ajax so that the page does not have to be reloaded twice when, first, selecting the article to move, and second, when destination is selected.

Is this a problem only I am facing, or did anybody else run into the same problem??

Cheers,

Jens
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Hi JensZ

These sound good - just to streamline the admin process of articles - yes. And of course an ajax solution would be great - that would likely represent a bunch of work. Having said that - (and I go on record saying this) - if there is anybody that can develop such solutions -> it would be you - i have benefitted from your solutions in the past. So maybe (when JensZ has some time - hehe) he can develop another outstanding coding solution for the wcms community...

respect,
:D
terry_b

Post by terry_b »

Hey guys!

What about something like that:

http://cyberdummy.co.uk/test/dd.php

This would be a great improvement!

;)

Cheers,

Terry
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

Cool - to say the least......
I suppose Ajax is the wave of the future.....
that will influence the evolution of UI design.

I did come across an Ajax module for Drupal,
but it was more decorative than anything else.

That example is far more impressive.
Can definitely see the possibilities of such.
terry_b

Post by terry_b »

It also refreshes the database in realtime!

I think this is a great solution and I think I am going to try integrating it...

;)
muj

Post by muj »

It would be so nice to have this implemented.
It is also nice to see that someone is willing to code.
It is not nice to know that this will propably not find it's way into phpwcms releases as OG seems not willing to have some people helping or coding for him. At least that's what I under stood so far.
There is a lot od potential here, but........ :?
terry_b

Post by terry_b »

I agree with you muj, but there is nothing we can do to change Oliver's mind except to respect his willing.

I think that one day I'll do a page just to show all the tricks I am learning/learned about PHPWCMS.

I am still also learning PHP ;)

Cheers,

Terry
JensZ

Post by JensZ »

I dig the script that terry_b found and I agree that something similar to this would be a nice enhancement. I'd like to know if Oliver has some ideas for the administration of articles because it's probably not a very good idea for anyone that is not the owner of the code to go ahead and make a major change like this without brainstorming with the mastermind behind the system.

Another idea is that you have a right-click popup menu with actions that can be performed on the article/content. For example like this http://www.milonic.com/menusample27.php (first one I found, probably exists better ones?!). This removes the need of the little action-buttons.

Oliver, what are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Jens
Last edited by JensZ on Wed 16. Aug 2006, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

I'm always thinking about integrating AJAX stuff - sometimes it's good but for some things like restructuring it's not the best option. There are a lot of pro and cons.

First I will trim backend in a more CSS driven way and integrate the missing stuff. Then also administration is much easier than having these little icons. And so on.

When this is working stable I will start thinking about Web2.0 features. At the moment it's also my wish to have more application-like feeling in the backend, but this needs a really good concept.

Oliver
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон