Phalancs' Dream: Im/Export of ContentPart Contents/ Articles

Use GitHub to post feature requests for phpwcms.
phalancs

Phalancs' Dream: Im/Export of ContentPart Contents/ Articles

Post by phalancs »

Idea: Im/Export of ContentPart Contents/ Articles

After working with phpwcms now for several years already, I think it could proove very useful to have an option called "import content"/ "export content" within CPs and articles.
A contact form for instance is usually the same (besides the mail adress and stuff). My idea would be to have a button with which you can download a created .txt file that contains all the contentpart/ article data. So you could replicate CPs/ Articles not only within a site, but also across seperate systems.

Imagine the probablility to extract whole articles including the contentpart structure and share them with others.

Benefits:

First it would be nice to have this option in relation to backups. No need of a whole database backup anymore. Content and system architecture would be seperated - That would be the final step of the "CMS thought" (seperation of content and code).

Specific articles or content parts could be shared within the community. Imagine we could have a section in this forum called "Article-Packages". How often did someone ask for guidance according to this and that CP. A simple article package import and a little customizing would releave us of a lot of explanation distress.

The third and last argument: As far as I know such a handling of content is new to content management systems (correct me if i'm wrong). Phpwcms could acchieve somekind of pioneer position in this regard.

Oliver? Any thoughts on this one? Anyone else? Please share your opinion.

//
Habe vorgeschlagen, dass es nützlich sein könnte, eine import export Funktion für Artikel/ Contentpart Einstellungen und Inhalte zu integrieren. Vorteile wären einfache Backups/ Replikationen über Systeme hinweg, das Sharing in der Community, sowie eine Vorreiterstellung in diesem Bereich für phpwcms.
Ren.Hoek

me too

Post by Ren.Hoek »

Hi,

I often wished I had had such a function in the past... So we're at least two now who could use that kind of extension :)

Greetings! Ren
Kosse

Re: Phalancs' Dream: Im/Export of ContentPart Contents/ Arti

Post by Kosse »

phalancs wrote:Idea: Im/Export of ContentPart Contents/ Articles

(...)
So you could replicate CPs/ Articles not only within a site, but also across seperate systems.

(...)
I had the same dream several times ...
then i woke up and copy pasted like an idiot :shock: :P

Cheers
phalancs

Post by phalancs »

Yes, well this is the way I usually do that.

BUT!

--->

Try to copy and paste a complex "contact form" for instance, or try to copy and paste a "guestbook" and all the comments. Well, copy and paste is nice and works well for text only (or WYSIWYG), but what I mean is sth. different.

:)
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

phalancs wrote:Yes, well this is the way I usually do that.

BUT!

--->

Try to copy and paste a complex "contact form" for instance, or try to copy and paste a "guestbook" and all the comments. Well, copy and paste is nice and works well for text only (or WYSIWYG), but what I mean is sth. different.

:)
I do fully agree... my comment was kind of "caustic" ;)
Cheers
jsw_nz

Post by jsw_nz »

I have to believe OliG has just this in mind
- somewhere 'down the road'

I think it is unanimous phalancs
:D