Using standaard CSS Menus ?

post everything related to phpwcms templates here
Vargas

Using standaard CSS Menus ?

Post by Vargas »

Hi there,

I am using phpwcms for quite some time now and there is one thing that really bothers me.
Since all navigation links are dynamic, there is no easy way to implement a standaard CSS (suckerfish for example) menu.

I did use flip-flop's solution occasionally but it is to time consuming to adjust it every single time. It would be so much easier if phpwcms coud just generate standaard <ul> and <li> tags for that.
That way, users could implement almost every CSS menu out there which would help a lot in templating and also give much more variety. So my question is, is this even possible due to the nature of phpwcms
generating dynamic links ? Or did someone allready figure out a neat way to solve this ?

p.s. I am not looking for an öut of the box"solution, i mereley want to start a discussion on this subject.

Thanx in advance.
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Re: Using standaard CSS Menus ?

Post by Oliver Georgi »

You can use every CSS menu using standards by default. Forget Flip-Flop's solution (for many situations it is too complex and some things are old-school and deprecated) and try yourself.

It is pretty easy.

The main problem to implement anything by default - everybody thinks different about what should be in there and what not. It becomes nearly impossible to support anything. The system renders very common and valid HTML. You have all the possiblilities to inject this by your own or required naming (class/ID).
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
pepe

Post by pepe »

Try {NAV_LIST_UL:FP} and there is your "basic"

<ul>
<li>...</li>
<li>..</li>
</ul>

code :idea:
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

@Vargas: Please read this NAV_LIST_UL (Parameter).
- E.g. the most of this menus are running in phpwcms.

Some of these menus I've implemented for phpwcms, but one or the other needs a small extension in the backend (note field in the page structure as for the CPs). It would be very helpful for parameters and settings. But this is rejected by OG.
For me, I've solved this problem, but it is not solution for the public.
E.g. for Professional image droplist menu or Professional droplist menu v2 or ...
But beware, this is all "old school"!!!! :)

@OG: One question please:
- Where can I find a well-documented standard navigation, for phpwcms - "Out of the box", without JS, which provides a useful result for any beginner? :?

Use it or leave it or write a new one, well documented with images, code, examples ...... in two languages. - I am very excited.

Knut
>> HowTo | DOCU | FAQ | TEMPLATES/DOCS << ( SITE )
Oliver Georgi
Site Admin

Post by Oliver Georgi »

flip-flop wrote:@OG: One question please:
- Where can I find a well-documented standard navigation, for phpwcms - "Out of the box", without JS, which provides a useful result for any beginner? :?
There is none (by me) - and I never said so. But the web is full of well documented CSS menus (http://purecssmenu.com/, http://webanthology.net/23-pure-css-eff ... 009/11/26/). We all should forget IE6 and never build any workaround for it any longer. I am no friend of CSS hacks - that are my critics regarding "some" old-school and deprecated. The modern are "!important" and IE conditional comments.
Oliver Georgi | phpwcms Developer | GitHub | LinkedIn | Систрон
juergen

Post by juergen »

Oliver Georgi wrote:We all should forget IE6
....evaluating ... in progress

done

C:\

And thanks for such clear words!!
update

Post by update »

2009 IE8 IE7 IE6 Firefox Chrome Safari Opera
December 13.5% 12.8% 10.9% 46.4% 9.8% 3.6% 2.3%
As you can see IE6 is just some 10% yet and has been some 18% one year and some 32% two years before. It's Time to forget soon, really... because before end of 2010 it will have been arrived at less than 5%, I bet :)
It's mostly all about maintaining two or three customer's sites Still supporter for the band Mykket Morton. Visit Mykket Morton on FB. Listen Mykket Morton and live videos on youtube.
Now building a venue for young artists to get wet on stage, rehearsal rooms, a studio, a guitar shop - yes I'm going to build some guitars.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

..... So we can forget Safari, Opera and Chrome. Plus the Mac OS and Linux operating systems. Statistically, only a shadowy existence.
- http://www.browser-statistik.de/
- http://www.webhits.de/deutsch/index.shtml?webstats.html
- http://www.pcwelt.de/start/software_os/ ... google-co/

:)

[UPDATE]
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/ ... 19043.html
[/UPDATE]
>> HowTo | DOCU | FAQ | TEMPLATES/DOCS << ( SITE )
update

Post by update »

flip-flop wrote:.... So we can forget Safari, Opera and Chrome. Plus the Mac OS and Linux operating systems. Statistically, only a shadowy existence.
No no - :lol:
They are continuously growing more or less and will take over IE6 soon ;)
It's mostly all about maintaining two or three customer's sites Still supporter for the band Mykket Morton. Visit Mykket Morton on FB. Listen Mykket Morton and live videos on youtube.
Now building a venue for young artists to get wet on stage, rehearsal rooms, a studio, a guitar shop - yes I'm going to build some guitars.
Vargas

Post by Vargas »

Oliver, Pepe and Flip-Flop, thanx for the answers.

First of all, i don't support IE6 anymore, stopped doing that last year. I honestly don't believe that in the age of Ajax, web 2.0 (or whatever name you want to give it), people should
even think about supporting it anymore.

I know that it is not possible to support and implement every wishlist in phpwcms. And like i said, thats not what i wanted. But since i am not a developer or experienced programmer
i too, find it very hard sometimes to find the information i need to do most basic stuff like the navigation tags. Searching the forum does not help very often because there is too many confusing
information and solutions. Well, not to you, but to me. Again, i am just a simple user, not a coder.

No, i dont come here every day, and yes i do miss a lot of posts and therefore information. No, i will not change that :)

So what i basically started this topic for was the question: What navigation tag should one use these days to build a versatile CSS menu. (dropdown, suckerfish, images etc) ?

p.s. really, i dont build million-visitor-websites. Just small ones where most of the visitors do not even know such things as Chrome or Opera or Safari exist.
"I have a rude thought every 5 seconds. Thank God i'm a slow typer"