New project site

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
nuserXP

New project site

Post by nuserXP »

Dear phpwcms friends, supporters, junkeys and others,

being one of you who is waiting for coming releases with implemented new features like the user management and having noticed threads discussing and giving room to the decreasing patience (e.g. this, this or that), I also noticed and admire you for your eagerness of continued support and interest in phpwcms, its development and spreading.

In this thread I would like to build on this effort in forwarding phpwcms by making the start and continued support easier and more accessable for newcomers as for pros.

Along with 360fusion and probably others, I thought of the neglected project site, officially already called the old project site.
It is hard for someone who is new to phpwcms to get to the necessary information to get into phpwcms. Or to find information on how to program a module. Another example is that everybody has to find out by himself what exactly the new functions in the snapshot releases are and how to work with them. The list of examples is long. What I want to say is that by rebuilding the project site we could help newbies to get easier into phpwcms and also others like long term users to have a great resource that support their daily work.

Although maintaining the project site by some dedicated users would Oliver give the time and focus on the development, the question on who will maintain it, will have to be answered by himself. This doesn't have a high priority in the moment. Much more important is what it should contain and how it can be build up. So feel free to jump in and make suggestions on how to better the project site.

This is a suggestion for the structure of the project site mainly prepared by 360fusion, slightly modified by me:
  • Home
    - Features
    - Screenshots
    - Online demo
    - Press reviews
    - References
    - Credits
  • Download
    - Latest release
    - Development releases
    - Changelog
    - Requirements
  • Documentation
  • Modules
  • Development
    - Hooks
    - API documentation
    - Known issues
    - Roadmap
  • Support
    - Forum
    - FAQ
What do you think?

Please help to make this thread become effective and productive. If you want to complain about not yet implemented functions or anything else, start your own thread. Thank you.
360fusion

Re: New project site

Post by 360fusion »

For the lat 3 years i have been study for a Masters in creative digital media part time as well as running my virtual tour business. I started using Phpwcms to create my own site and also now use it to create sites for other people.

Whilst at Uni i meet a lot of new people interested in coding and web design. I always push them towards phpwcms and hope they can get into it and help make this community stronger and develop new modules. the feedback i get is mainly about the lack of documentation to develop new modules, the site seems old and out of date and that there isn't a site that organises things logically and it is hard to navigate and find the right information. most of the information is contained within this forum and in the docu website.

To attract new users the old project site needs to be brought up to date and be full of information that explains what phpwcms is all about, what it's features are and how to develop and support the cms. a great example is the Magento ecommerce site, This is full of blogs, video tutorials, a road map and all the things people need to learn about the system.

I think the most important part would be a section detailing all the modules available, links to download them and also information on how to create them.

I would be willing to help with the maintenance of the project site, I'm sure there are a lot of people here who would too.

I hope in this thread we can discuss the whats, hows, whens, what ifs and whys and make a difference.

Thanks to nuserXP for starting this thread, the community for their support and Oliver for Phpwcms.
Ben
daniel.grant

Post by daniel.grant »

360, nuserXP - sounds good to me.

I think that video tutorials are great. I make them to help my clients understand the control panel. A few tutorials of the basics - installation, creating articles, setting up templates and pagelayouts - would really help new users get into phpwcms quickly instead of giving up quickly.
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

daniel.grant wrote:360, nuserXP - sounds good to me.

I think that video tutorials are great. I make them to help my clients understand the control panel. A few tutorials of the basics - installation, creating articles, setting up templates and pagelayouts - would really help new users get into phpwcms quickly instead of giving up quickly.

hello grant

nice idea ... i thought the same way erlier but to get an good (and free) screen filming tool ... ist not that easy.

Ok Installation and article creating docu is there, but both others not.. i try a several times to write a docu for templates and pagelayout but it was not useable :-(
at now the sentence i have written aseveral times ... i ask in a few threads for help or people who have fun to write someting like the doc's for templates and pagelayout but nobody was intrested in that :-)
daniel.grant

Post by daniel.grant »

Pappnase,

I use iShowU for the Mac, think it cost about £20.

I don't mind producing some very basic video tutorials as a contirbution if that would be useful.

I can send you a short one and if you like it we can work on some more; if you don't, I won't be offended :)
Pappnase

Post by Pappnase »

daniel.grant wrote:Pappnase,

I use iShowU for the Mac, think it cost about £20.

I don't mind producing some very basic video tutorials as a contirbution if that would be useful.

I can send you a short one and if you like it we can work on some more; if you don't, I won't be offended :)
Hello daniel

would be nice ... i will take a look :-)
Jensensen

Post by Jensensen »

choked down like others?
{so_much} | Knick-Knack. | GitHub
Umlaute im URL sind meistens immer Kacke.
flopi

Post by flopi »

For screen recording u can use camtasia studio 3 it is free.

mfg
flopi
(\_/)
(0.o)
(> <)
Das ist Bunny. Kopiere Bunny in deine Signatur, um ihm auf seinem Weg zur Weltherrschaft zu helfen!