An international forum...

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
Audax

An international forum...

Post by Audax »

I've posted this topic somewhere else too, but i thought the 'PHPWCMS Discussion' is more often viewed.

It's about changing the standards. I would like to see a complete ENGLISH forum. Where people will post and answer in english. Sure there are lots of german users, but hey, i'm pretty damn sure that 95% can read and write in english.
It's a more common language, more people will come and use PHPWCMS. There will be more active users, PHPWCMS will be more generally known.
More contributions, more thoughts. This is such a great cms, it's just very underrated and not famous enough. And i think it's because of the german language, which tons of people do not understand.

I experience it myself. If i see an interesting topic, but it's all written in German, i quit. Simply because i will never understand the whole of it. Just some phrases perhaps. Even worse are the topics with questions started in english, being answered in German!

An idea will be to devide the forum in two (english and german), but i think the best idea will be English as the standard. Oliver posts his announcements in English too, so why not everybody? Ofcourse it will take some more time for the most of us, but if that;s the only problem?

It will attract tons of new users (i think) who where formerly scared by all the german texts which they did not understand. And we are all sharing the thought of making this project to a big succes right?
Cogito, ergo sum..
Pauli

Post by Pauli »

I totally agree with you Audax
but most Germans here just don't care at all about this matter
ah well that behavior suits the state of this project well, me thinks
pepe

Post by pepe »

Hi friend...

what a wonderfull world, if all people all over would speak the same language :D

But, have you ever thought...

that it's as difficult for a German phpWCMS fan to write in English, as it is for an American guy, to write in German???
kubens

Post by kubens »

Of course it is not so easy for not native speaker to describe fancy ideas or spooky problems in another language. But it is a fact that we live in a world where more people speak English instead of German :-( For me personally it is important to point out a solution of a problem and based on the fact which I mentioned above, I can reach more people in English. This will increase the chance to find such a solution :-) I am absolute sure that many people who lives in Germany (ignore results of Pisa) speak or understand English good enough for communication in English here. May it sound sometimes silly what you can read here, but with tooth and nail, one beer more or just with chocolate no problem has a chance ...

Summarily I vote for an international forum too ;-)

Br
Wolfgang
Eggi

Post by Eggi »

wobei ich sagen muss:
ich hatte nicht viel englisch in der schule und hab auch das meiste davon im laufe der jahre vergessen. bin nicht mehr der jüngste :wink:
im englischen zu lesen bereitet mir darum sehr grosse schwierigkeiten.
mir persönlich wäre sehr geholfen, wenn es eine deutsche sektion gäbe.
Pauli

Post by Pauli »

typical
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Hey Pauli,
typical
:shock: I dont´understand your reaction. That isn´t the right way.
Please, he don´t (can´t) speak any word in english.

My suggestion: Please give him some nonpayed lessons (30-50) for a better english and me too.
Or do my job for the english questions, it´s very fatiguingly to me.

Gibt da einen schönen Spruch: "Hintern hoch und anpacken" - ist zumindest mein Motto. :wink:

Regards Knut
>> HowTo | DOCU | FAQ | TEMPLATES/DOCS << ( SITE )
pepe

Post by pepe »

Where are the masses of english speaking people, who are willing, to anser the questions... haven't seen them the last 3 years her in the forums!

Its my personal opinion, that there are more than 50% of germans here... and many of them cann't write in english.

What is better, if you let THEM "standing in the rain"?

An "english only" forum is not the solution!

If you ask in english, you will have an answer in english, i'm shure.

But, by the way, your reaction shows me, that you are able to understand... so, what' your problem?
Last edited by pepe on Sun 12. Nov 2006, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Klappstuhl28

Post by Klappstuhl28 »

It seems as if the only way would be
if someone can´t read a thread or an answer that
he will post his problem and i guess that somebody
can translate the solution to the only-english-community.

regards

lars
Lars

Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein. - H. Jackson Brown -
Audax

Ehmmm?

Post by Audax »

What can i say?
I wasn't trying to get someone offended, just start of a discussion.
Simply because that's what the "Discussion" forum is for, at least the original meaning of the word. Right?

I totally agree with you on the fact that there are over 50% german users active on this forum. What i deny is that most of them can not speak English, or not sufficient. I mean, that was like 40 years ago. Sure there are always some who have their problems, but that's no problem. A subforum would do the trick. Now the forum is all mixed up, german and english, it's a bit of a mess.

And yes there weren't so many English speaking persons in the last three years but that was not what i ment! I was focusing on the future, that all the german would scare people of.

Don't get me wrong, i never had the intention of letting people stand in the rain, just getting more people involved. And i still think english as the standard will help with that.

PS:
But, by the way, your reaction shows me, that you are able to understand... so, what' your problem?
It's not about me, him, you or them, the discussion started about PHPWCMS.
Cogito, ergo sum..
pepe

Post by pepe »

Audax, you are right...

a subforum is a way to go... and ALL what can make phpWCMS bigger... should be done :!:

But, the only one, who could decide, is OG (Our great Guru) :wink:

And so we are on the way to the stars! :lol:
juergen

Post by juergen »

Eggi wrote:wobei ich sagen muss:
ich hatte nicht viel englisch in der schule und hab auch das meiste davon im laufe der jahre vergessen. bin nicht mehr der jüngste :wink:
im englischen zu lesen bereitet mir darum sehr grosse schwierigkeiten.
mir persönlich wäre sehr geholfen, wenn es eine deutsche sektion gäbe.
.as I have to remark:

I didn't have as much english in scool and got rid of my knowledge as time goes by. I'm not the youngest anymore :wink: Got some major problems in reading english based language, for myself a german based section would be very helpfull ...

--EOF---

/*by myself: Nobody has to be condemned for his language ! tzzz */
Ben

Post by Ben »

http://babelfish.altavista.com

I really don't see what the big deal is ... I'm a member of a few other international forums and I certainly don't want to look like the arrogant American who only speaks one language ... which is where BabelFish comes in. A combination of auto-translations and asking someone to kindly provide an english re-cap of a long German thread allows me to understand just about everything here.

I feel that a subforum will segregate the user-group, which won't be good since the German-speakers that typically write in english will probably go over to the German section and then it will become very difficult to understand their great ideas.

My vote is to continue allowing everyone to communicate as best they are able ... and those who aren't multi-lingual, be resourceful.
pepe

Post by pepe »

Hi Ben,

you are the one with real international ambitions... thanks!

Thats, what international way of thinking is! Every one has to try, to understand the other. Internationality is NO ONEWAY STREET !
Audax

Post by Audax »

Amen!
Point made, i'm out, translating texts trough babelfish... :P
Cogito, ergo sum..