Actual state of affairs of 1.2.7 or 1.3??

Discuss phpwcms here, please do not post support requests, bug reports, or feature requests! Non-phpwcms questions, discussion goes in General Chat!
jscholtysik

Actual state of affairs of 1.2.7 or 1.3??

Post by jscholtysik »

Hi OG,

what is the actual state of affairs for the next release 1.2.7 or 1.3??

When will a new stable version be released?

Does it contain FE user support? In a former thread you said that you still don't know it yet...

Please don't let us be in the dark... ;-)

Joachim
tinoo

Post by tinoo »

I would prefer a stable release with the contentparts we already have plus a nice gallery and a calender fully integrated... With this i can cover almost 90% of my running projects...

Just think about: how many projects do you have, which need forums, FEuser login, chats, guestbooks, article ratings and so on? Most of this stuff is playware, nice to have but not really necessarily...

What i need next is a consolidated stable version to cover "normal" webprojects like my private website, my companies website and so on. The contenparts supported with this release must be finished so that in case of an update this cp's won't change again and stay stable... If somewhen FE user login, or a propper forum, or a nice chat comes, i don't say no...

Once again - i (we) need a stable base, which is expandable for the future
Greetz, tinoo
jscholtysik

Post by jscholtysik »

Hi tinoo,

I never said that I want to have unstable or developer releases... ;-)

I also wait for a new stable release announced by OG in May or at the beginning of June.

I'm afraid of development releases and CVS versions, because from my own experience with other software packages these versions only bring problems... :-(

For me a functional user administration for my business site is more important than for example a gallery, because for a gallery I could also use external programs (if needed)... ;-)

To your words "Most of this stuff is playware":
In my opinion this is a problem of communication between OG and his users. OG should ask the community and make polls what the users want to have and then he should start to develop the needed things with a detailed priority list. But until now only he decides what should be included in phpwcms. Not ideal, isn't it? :-(

Joachim
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

jscholtysik wrote:Hi tinoo,

I never said that I want to have unstable or developer releases... ;-)

I also wait for a new stable release announced by OG in May or at the beginning of June.

I'm afraid of development releases and CVS versions, because from my own experience with other software packages these versions only bring problems... :-(

For me a functional user administration for my business site is more important than for example a gallery, because for a gallery I could also use external programs (if needed)... ;-)

To your words "Most of this stuff is playware":
In my opinion this is a problem of communication between OG and his users. OG should ask the community and make polls what the users want to have and then he should start to develop the needed things with a detailed priority list. But until now only he decides what should be included in phpwcms. Not ideal, isn't it? :-(

Joachim
Wise words Joachim... I agree 100%

It's not that phpwcms has 'playware' (some functionnalities are top of the notch, like newsletter, fckeditor, some RT's) it is that the CP are not ~really~ evolving with the web, but the new pre 1.2.7 aknowledges that (with the ability to sort which CP you want to show) in a way.
Anyway, 'che va piano va lontano'... or maybe not?
Cheers
tinoo

Post by tinoo »

Hi jscholtysik

No, don't ask the whole community - because they would like to have e-v-e-r-y-thing, immediately! :lol:

If i would develop such a project, my roadmap would look like this:
- version 1: basic release, which covers at least 50% of all webprojecst
- version 2: extended release, which increases the coverage of webprojects to about 80%
- version 3+: extended release, which feeds the needs of the community, market and technology

The patchwork of cms, gallery, forum and so on should be cleared from every version to the next, until the cms can manage all kind of stuff...

Of course - a nice project organisation would accelerate the processes...
Greetz, tinoo
rushclub

Post by rushclub »

tinoo wrote:Just think about: how many projects do you have, which need forums, FEuser login, chats, guestbooks, article ratings and so on? Most of this stuff is playware, nice to have but not really necessarily...
this is completly bullshit - sorry.

:x

then you havent realised what the web is about.
every btob or btoc business-site should contain fe-user area with detailed information for the visitors. with fe-support you have possibilities to get more out of your website. my english isnt good enough to describe the possibilities like in my mother-language. keep websites interesting for your customers.

i agree with forums, guestbook (not complete (remember a "guestbook" under a service-text where useres can add ideas)). the other things are very helpfull.

rush
3 (!) Jahre warten reichen mir. Ich bin erst mal weg.
jscholtysik

Post by jscholtysik »

Hi tinoo,

many versions of a product can't be the solution. There must be one version, the base of the product that only includes some essential functionalities.

Then you need a possibility to extend this base version to your needs using a good module manager or extension manager that is easy to use.

But that means that the complete system has to be easy to extent. OG already wrote that he is on the way to make the content parts external modules. So it seems that such a module manager is on the way... ;-)

And also important is a good documentation how to write new modules to extent the base system.

Joachim
tinoo

Post by tinoo »

rushclub wrote:this is completly bullshit - sorry.
No it's not. Because it's not possible to develop such a project from zero to fully businessproof in the first release...
rushclub wrote:then you havent realised what the web is about.
The web is about free accessible informations, not about as many as possible logins, usernames and passwords...
rushclub wrote:every btob or btoc business-site should contain fe-user area with detailed information for the visitors.
I don't now, but all companies i work with support detailed informations for free and without a login. Login is only required for businesscritical informations like selling-conditions, ordering and stuff like that...

Before we start fighting about FE login we should think about where OG will positioning his phpwcms. Should it become a tool for business-sites, community-sites, private-sites? Then each one of us has to decide if phpwcms fits his/her needs. If not you or i have to look for another cms...
Greetz, tinoo
tinoo

Post by tinoo »

jscholtysik wrote:Then you need a possibility to extend this base version to your needs using a good module manager or extension manager that is easy to use.
100% agreeing!!!!!!!

But for that we need a stable base - that's what i'm asking for... :D
Greetz, tinoo
rushclub

Post by rushclub »

tinoo wrote:
rushclub wrote:every btob or btoc business-site should contain fe-user area with detailed information for the visitors.
I don't now, but all companies i work with support detailed informations for free and without a login. Login is only required for businesscritical informations like selling-conditions, ordering and stuff like that...
that is what i am talking about. and that is only the beginning. there a thousand of other things that are possible with fe-support.

rush
3 (!) Jahre warten reichen mir. Ich bin erst mal weg.
tinoo

Post by tinoo »

rushclub wrote:that is what i am talking about. and that is only the beginning.
I don't know if i would offer critical businessinformations by an opensource project that's always in dev-status.... :wink:
Greetz, tinoo
juergen

Post by juergen »

Hey :)

As far as I can remember the most important thing I read was the announce of Add-Ons for the System. Any easy way to include things like "something.inc.php".

Perhaps that takes some more time as planed. It is not our business to point out the clock to the creator of the system.... :roll:

PHPWCMS would not be the first system to have this inside. As I believe that needs some deep and major changes and with that some time. This might be the best way to combine all restrictions.

I took the freetime and looked to other cms... Missing this here, missing that there ... The most popular are made for one good site with their preloaded functions.

So. Its worth to wait an wait and wait :?

Jürgen
jscholtysik

Post by jscholtysik »

Hi Jürgen,

time promises are dangerous when they are not kept... :-(

Then I must decide to not publish them...

Joachim
tinoo

Post by tinoo »

DF6IH wrote:So. Its worth to wait an wait and wait :?
Jup, meanwhile let's go swimming. Bits and Bytes don't run away, nice weather instead can change every hour... 8)
Greetz, tinoo
Kosse

Post by Kosse »

tinoo wrote:
DF6IH wrote:So. Its worth to wait an wait and wait :?
Jup, meanwhile let's go swimming. Bits and Bytes don't run away, nice weather instead can change every hour... 8)
Or having a drink on a terrace, yeah, good advice! I'm outta here :P

Cheers